Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada
reply to Stephan_S

Re: Rogers New Ultimate Package

Who wants to bet that all current retentions discounts won't be eligible for the new tier?

LINCSAT
Premium
join:2003-06-15
Markham, ON
When this was upgraded for me there seemed to be some confusion in regarding the modem. I was told that a new modem was required for this update. After speaking to tech support a new modem was not required, either the cisco DPC3825 or newer modem that is shipping as of yesterday to rogers plus stores. I have 8 channels down bonded now. I can't seem to get to 150 down only 130 to 140 down, I was wondering if anyone new that this newer modem allowed 10,12,14,16 channels bonded? Here is a newer speed test!

yyzlhr

@74.198.9.x
The newer modem also only supports 8 channels on the downstream

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
said by yyzlhr :

The newer modem also only supports 8 channels on the downstream

And exactly what make/model is this newer modem? Thanks

yyzlhr

@rogers.com
Hitron CDE-30364

elitefx

London, ON

1 edit
said by yyzlhr :

Hitron CDE-30364

Man!! that's an ugly looking piece of hardware. Sheesh...... »www.hitrontech.com/en/cable_detail.php?id=10
No external antennae. Probably has a wireless range of 2 feet. Where does Rogers come up with this no name scrap??....
Just called the Dollar Store. They have the new Rogers Hitron Gateway in stock......

yyzlhr

@rogers.com
Meh. The design is different and definitely not something we're used to in the North American market, this is a Chinese company after all. I'm sure some will appreciate it while others won't. I'm going to give Rogers the benefit of the doubt that and assume this one performs much better on the wireless front. Otherwise, I don't see the point of contracting another vendor when Cisco is more than capable of supplying large quantities of gateways for large MSOs like Rogers.

brookz

join:2003-06-26
Waterloo, ON
reply to elitefx
Almost looking like the old LanCity modem

Gingercrab

@bell.ca
reply to Stephan_S
I'm a completely noob when it comes to internet service providers.. but I've looked all over the site and all I can find is the 75mb/ps download and 3mb/ps upload deal for ~$99 a month.

Where would I find this new ultimate one you guys are referring to? I'm hoping to switch from bell, and upgrading from ~16 mb/ps.

yyzlhr

@rogers.com
New Ultimate is not advertised as it's only available in select neighbourhoods. Call and see if you're eligible if you want to switch.

Cable Dude 5

@rogers.com
I'm guessing they have no plans to advertise this new Tier until all areas have been upgraded and available to all their customers. What kind of disappoints me is that with 4 bonded upstream channels at 64 QAM they could easily offer way faster upload speeds, technically up to about 50Mbps but why they are only choosing to offer 10Mbps is beyond me. Some cable companies in the U.S. are offering 30Mbps upload with only 3 bonded upstream channels. I see a total lack of competition here on Rogers part.

Breadwinka

@bellmobilite.ca
I wonder if its available in Kitchener Ontario yet. Seems like its just Toronto

liquid_ic

join:2010-07-19
L
reply to Stephan_S
It requires a new modem. SMC and 6120 will not work.

elitefx

London, ON

1 edit
said by liquid_ic:

It requires a new modem. SMC and 6120 will not work.

If you were told that by Rogers then you have been lied to my friend. Docsis 3 is the end of the line for HFC network upgrades. It's well documented on the Net. Also, a Docsis 3 modem is a Docsis 3 modem no matter what make/model. There's no way on this planet for Rogers to twist this one around.....

liquid_ic

L

1 edit
Requires 8 channel bonding modem before you can put the package on the account ... Looks like they got us again .. the rep told me u require the new docsis 3 modems.. my 6120 shows up as a SMC on their system. I hope this pisses of a lot off people who paid 250 for a SMC piece of crap.

ArthurWinsl

@rogers.com
reply to liquid_ic
When the network is configured better, you will see that the SMC D3GN can achieve 150mbit without a problem. I currently am able to pull in the low to mid 140's on the modem.

I also have a 3825 here that has all 8 downstream channels bonded and am getting the same speeds as the 4 channel bonded SMC D3GN. There was a firmware update rolled out to the SMCD3GN's in the past week however this has nothing to do with the new tier upgrades.

liquid_ic

L
I know even the 6120 can do 150+ but Rogers like always is looking for a cash grab. They forced us to upgrade to docsis 3 from 2 even if the modem could do 24mbs no problem. The general public will fall for this scam.

elitefx

London, ON

4 edits

1 recommendation

reply to liquid_ic
said by liquid_ic:

Requires 8 channel bonding modem before you can put the package on the account ...

Once again, another pack of lies by Rogers. If four 6 MHz channels were bonded, and those four channels used 256-QAM modulation, the resultant "mini-pipe" would be capable of jamming 155 Mbps down to a single cable modem. (The math goes like this: 4x38.8 Mbps = 155 Mbps.) If 10 channels were bonded, the mini-pipe would offer 388 Mbps -- again, to a single receiving modem. »www.translation-please.com/dicti···aryid=86

And from »www.scribd.com/doc/17480254/Unde···CSIS-30-

DOCSIS 3.0 Overview
•Increased Throughput
•Support a minimum of four bonded downstream channels,each with a throughput of 38Mbps (152Mbps Total)
•Support a minimum of four bonded upstream channels,each with a throughput of 27Mbps (108Mbps Total)
•Increased upstream bandwidth (5-85MHz)

This isn't brain surgery. It's common sense. The docsis 3 facts and figures are all over the Net. Rogers doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of sliding this one past anyone with half a brain.

ArthurWinsl

@rogers.com
eliteFX while you are correct in regards to the theoretical docsis channel limit, I can tell you now that you'll never hit 38mbps on a single channel due to overhead. We barely hit that close in our labs.

Otherwise, you're totally spot on. The reason why Rogers is heavily pushing the Scientific Atlanta docsis 3 series is due to a discounted lease they're getting for the install base. Not anything having to do with trying to optimize the network. If that were certainly the case then that same mandate would be applicable to Teksavvy, Acanac and Smart Communications as well.

yyzlhr

@rogers.com
reply to elitefx
Internal documents do indicate that the DPC3825 is required for this package. I'm assuming they put this in place as 8 bonded channels can deliver these types of speeds more consistently vs 4 bonded channels. However, the Cisco DPC3825 shares the same product code as the SMC D3GN so I'm not sure if this is actually system enforced.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to Stephan_S
Support calls coming ... I have a 150Mbps package but only get 95 Mbps, what's wrong? Or worse, I have a 150 Mbps package and only get 9.5 Mbps?

100BaseT
10BaseT

Sir, you need Gig-E ethernet to get those speeds.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by sbrook:

Support calls coming ... I have a 150Mbps package but only get 95 Mbps, what's wrong? Or worse, I have a 150 Mbps package and only get 9.5 Mbps?

100BaseT
10BaseT

Sir, you need Gig-E ethernet to get those speeds.

What is GigE Mr.Tech Support agent sir?

Breadwinka

@rogers.com
Pretty sure he means you need a gigabit Ethernet card older ones only support 100mbs and not 1000mbs so you max out at 100.

aereolis

join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON
reply to scubascythan
said by scubascythan:

250GB limit at 75Mbps means you reach your cap at full speeds in approximately 7 and a half hours.

So now you can do that in under 4 hours. Yay?

3 hours 47 minutes 32 seconds provided no speedboost and you fully get 150 mbit the whole time (yeah right... ) 18.75 megabytes/second
--
Hello

Canuck

@rogers.com
reply to Stephan_S
When I first moved to Stouffville I was told about this package back in April but then after purchasing it was discovered it wasn't available here yet. I was told that it would automatically update to 10mbps upload when the upgrade happened in the area.

I'll give support a call but wanted to know if anyone has heard if it has come north to Stouffville. (thought I read a post here that said they got it in (new ultimate) Richmond Hill)

I've started seeing the download spike to 90-130s (normally around 60-95's) but not change in the upload yet.

Thanks

Canuck

@rogers.com
Just to confirm. Stouffville has been upgraded. I just got off the phone with sales and I should be at 75/10 now.. even though I am seeing 100+ on the download. I haven't checked to see the new upload yet.

Thanks for the tip about calling Sales right away. It was quick painless and actually enjoyable. He put me on hold came back and told be he had to change the product code appropriately.

elitefx

London, ON
Just posted on Rogers Homepage for the 150/10 tier which replaces the 75/2 tier:

For the Ultimate Internet tier, available download speeds, upload speeds, and the monthly service fee vary depending on your area. In select areas, upload and download speeds are up to 10Mbps and up to 150Mbps accordingly at $122.99/mo. Call 1-800-913-0047 to verify availability in your area. Otherwise, upload and download speeds are up to 2 Mbps and up to 75 Mbps accordingly at $99.99/mo.

sdin

join:2012-09-10
It didn't replace the 75/2, it's still available in call centers. The new tier is also rebranded as Ultimate Plus according to agents.

elitefx

London, ON

2 edits
said by sdin:

It didn't replace the 75/2, it's still available in call centers. The new tier is also rebranded as Ultimate Plus according to agents.

not according to the updated Rogers HiSpeed package page.....unless of course, the agents are admitting the webpage is a pack of lies........... »www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal···_HISPEED
said by Rogers :

Full Details

Offers available for a limited time and subject to change without notice.

† Speeds may vary with Internet traffic, server or other factors. Also see the Acceptable Use Policy at rogers.com/terms. Modem set-up: the system is configured to maximum modem capabilities within Rogers own network.

†† In some areas, Rogers manages upstream peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing applications speed to a maximum of 80 kbps per customer for Rogers Hi-Speed Internet (delivered over cable). This policy is maintained at all times. For information on Rogers Internet traffic management practices and Legal Disclosure click here.

††† Usage allowances apply on a monthly basis and vary by tier of service. Charges apply for additional use beyond the monthly usage allowance associated with your tier of service. For details, visit rogers.com/keepingpace.

1. Taxes and a $14.95 one-time activation fee apply. Internet modem purchase or monthly rental required.

2. For the Ultimate Internet tier, available download speeds, upload speeds, and the monthly service fee vary depending on your area. In select areas, upload and download speeds are up to 10Mbps and up to 150Mbps accordingly at $122.99/mo. Call 1-800-913-0047 to verify availability in your area. Otherwise, upload and download speeds are up to 2 Mbps and up to 75 Mbps accordingly at $99.99/mo.

wicked13

join:2009-10-18
reply to Stephan_S
Just wanted to post and say that the new ultimate tier is available for Brampton, my location. I am in the bramalea area about 3KM from the Rogers building on Dixie rd.