spc
uniqs

squircle
join:2009-06-23
OTWAON10

squircle to morisato

to morisato

Re: [DSL] Cellpipe random reboots / loss of sync (Check logs ple

Yes, we have a POTS splitter (installed by Bell, one of the Corning ones) and I suppose it's possible that it's failed. Unfortunately, the Teksavvy installer didn't leave the other POTS splitter, so we really have nothing else to test it with (unless of course I swapped the NID modules for the first and second lines, but we're only technically supposed to open the "Customer Access" side, aren't we?).

From the NID, we have a dedicated line going to the modem. From the NID, the CAT5 runs in about 3m of conduit underground, into the house and directly up to a jack. From there, it's about 2m CAT3 UTP to the modem. I believe that this dedicated, twisted-pair run is why we've historically had awesome line stats.

I did notice something a bit strange, though: there seems to be about 0.2V of crosstalk between our first and second lines by the NID. I'm only in first-year electrical & computer engineering, but 0.2 volts doesn't seem like very much (not enough to cause problems, anyways). I've tried disconnecting the second line at the NID for a couple of days and that didn't fix the problem, so I assumed that the minor crosstalk wasn't an issue.

I seem to remember, almost exactly 5 years ago, a Bell technician (installing Velcom service at the time) saying that there was something strange going on with our cordless phone base station. I believe he said that there was quite a bit of tip-to-ring current leakage (although it's not nearly enough for the CO to think that the line is off-hook). I'm starting to wonder if maybe this cordless phone base is also the cause of the crosstalk. Maybe I'll separate the two phone line cables going to it and see if that helps (although our setup with ADSL2+ was the same and it never had any problems).

Once I'm finished my exams and can go back home, I'll test things out. Until then, there's only so much I can do.

Thanks again for your response.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

ya .02 volts is not cross talk its standard leakage, as long as its not a double digit voltage yer fine. And adsl 2 Only goes to 16/1. pn bell at least So u never got much more sync. try Unplugging all Phones from all jacks and then power cycle modem and see what yer stats are.

Okay wait a second You have a direct feed from Your nid to the Modem, is the color of the Tab Purple( inside the nid) thats feeding the modem? if so Thats a Nid pots splitter. and u do not need the second corning pots splitter in the basement at all. If its not Its kinda strange to have a seperate feed/ Ensure the Pots Splitter is On the Voice side feed the line from the nid goes into Line, The voice Line to your distribution box be it a qbb or a ddi should come out of Phone and Nothing should be on DSL as your being fed on a seperate feed. if thats not the case take a picture and post it and i will do my best to help

squircle
OTWAON10

squircle

Hi morisato,

The only POTS splitter we have is the purple/orange tab one (manufactured by Corning, I believe) in the NID. If the Teksavvy installer had left the other POTS splitter, I'd try that with the non-POTS splitter NID module (installed for the second line; swap the two), but the Teksavvy installer didn't leave anything. There is a dedicated twisted-pair CAT 5 line from the purple port on the POTS splitter to the modem. The only other device connected to this phone line is the cordless phone base station, so it should be fairly easy to isolate that as the problematic device if it is indeed malfunctioning.

Thanks again for your response, I'll update you as I try various diagnoses.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

well, if u want to 100% eliminate inside as an issue then go right to the jack on the nid. , Unfortunately its sounding more and more like Speed at a distance = what u get, short of there being some outside line condition which makes little sense if they are changing ports, like u said they would likely have no problem temping ped to house

squircle
OTWAON10

squircle

said by morisato:

well, if u want to 100% eliminate inside as an issue then go right to the jack on the nid. , Unfortunately its sounding more and more like Speed at a distance = what u get, short of there being some outside line condition which makes little sense if they are changing ports, like u said they would likely have no problem temping ped to house

The problem isn't speed or distance; my line stats are quite good:

GAS: 905-847-wxyz - In Service
Last State Change: 08/03 22:06:59 (Uptime: NA)
Line Profile: V26944-20032_11328-2048_00011
DLM State: N/A | Equip. Type: VSM_ERAM
Sync Rate: d26941.0/u11328.0 kbps
RCO: d39.0/u35.0%
Noise Margin: d26.2/u21.3 dB
Power: d14.5/u3.3 dB
Attenuation: d13.9/u21.0 dB (Approx. Distance: 1.01~1.94km)
Block Count: d50548464.0/u22954887.0

We're trying to get FibeTV installed as soon as possible (ditching Cogeco) so hopefully I'll be able to use the Sagemcom to help diagnose the issue. If my parents knew how to hook the modem up to the NID and test it from there, I'm sure they would, but it has to wait until I get home unfortunately. If the wiring diagram in the ped was clearer, I'd change the pair myself just to check... but Bell probably wouldn't like that.

It's the waiting game for now, I guess.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON

BliZZardX

Premium Member

Where are those line stats from? Never seen that output format before

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

That would be me providing him his stats.

Phibian
join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON

Phibian

Hi Martin,

I'm just wondering where we are at on this. Has this issue been officially declared fixed or are we still waiting for things to settle a bit to make sure that it is really fixed? I (and I suspect others as well) am wondering what the plan is as far as compensation is concerned. I can understand if things are still settling but am just looking for a status update.

Thanks (and thanks again for all your hard work in getting us this far).

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

Hey guys,

We are fairly certain the issue has been resolved. As for compensation, this has been put into the hand of upper management to overview & take the proper decision.

At this time, we have no updates. I don’t have details as to the method that will be used to credit & how much we’re looking for.

But once we have concluded a proper way of dealing with all of this, we’ll be advising.

Regards,
Martin

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Thanks Martin.

I hope it wont be that long. Bell just needs to drop this silly rental, or allow a one time discounted purchase of these things, since they've recovered their cost for them several times over.

Phibian
join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON

Phibian to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
Hi Martin,

So... It has been another month... Where are we at? We were promised some sort of compensation once the issue was resolved. It has been resolved for a while now.

sosumi
join:2011-09-28
Toronto

sosumi

said by Phibian:

Hi Martin,

So... It has been another month... Where are we at? We were promised some sort of compensation once the issue was resolved. It has been resolved for a while now.

I think Teksavvy is trying to sweep it under the rug, now that the complaining has stopped from users with this problem.

I dont have this problem but i followed it for a while and im glad i never upgrade to the 25meg speed.
nowhere4
join:2011-07-28
Toronto, ON

nowhere4 to Phibian

to Phibian
said by Phibian:

Hi Martin,

Also, I'd like to know if you're just pursuing compensation for the users who have to pay the modem rental fee. I signed up before that was implemented but this issue still affected me and the usefulness of my Internet connection.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to sosumi

Premium Member

to sosumi
said by sosumi:

I think Teksavvy is trying to sweep it under the rug, now that the complaining has stopped from users with this problem.

I wouldn't go as far as calling it this way, but certainly it's taken way too long to get anything...

Perhaps Marc can chime in if he reads this thread... After all it was supposedly left to "upper management" to sort out as TSI Martin stated earlier in this thread.