spc
uniqs

Nonstick
@wideopenwest.com

Nonstick to Just_Dan

Anon

to Just_Dan

Re: Ultra TV = Beta?

not really. Lessened? I've had two separate short drops that I've noticed today. I'm impressed with your ability to track my account via my username (ip?) I've just had so many issues since release of the ultra tv it's verging on ridiculous. I love the features, but I hate calling 1-2 times a day.

Nonstick

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

I'm a little confused on what I'm seeing on your gateway. There's currently seeing 9 devices showing as ethernet devices, including an iPad and a few smartphones. The only way these could be showing as ethernet is if you were using a secondary router with DHCP disabled on it connected to the gateway. If you're using a secondary router as an access point (which I'm not able to help support) why do you still have the wireless enabled on the gateway? There's no devices connected wirelessly to the gateway itself, so maybe try disabling that, or maybe try connecting to the gateway and taking your other router out of the picture, as it could also be what's causing the problem.

We don't support routers plugged into gateways for this reason, we've seen some very strange problems caused by 3rd party routers. Having one hooked up means there's very little I'm able to do to assist you.
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH

Body Count

Can we have a switch plugged into one of the ethernet outlets for more data ports? You mentioned it had to be a router but maybe he has a switch?

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

said by Body Count:

Can we have a switch plugged into one of the ethernet outlets for more data ports? You mentioned it had to be a router but maybe he has a switch?

You can have a switch, as long as it's only a switch. iPads and smartphones don't have ethernet ports, they have to be wirelessly connected to something, which would have to be at least a wireless AP or router.
NuclearXP9
join:2012-04-12
Trenton, MI

NuclearXP9 to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
Dan - not to hijack but not supporting routers in AP mode is pretty lame. You cannot tell me honestly you think the arris gateways wireless range and quality of coverage is acceptable for anything short of a studio apartment with paper walls.

If anything you should at least be able to provide and support a specific list of routers that do AP routing properly.

To the OP, as dan said, nix either your wireless router or turn off the gateways wireless. Can you CONFIRM you're maintaining connectivity both from your device to the router and router to gateway? Try using the gateways wireless 2.4 ghz and place it in your main room of your house for the day. If you're maintaining 3-4 "bars" on your devices it shouldn't be dropping the wireless signal.

Nonstick
@wideopenwest.com

Nonstick

Anon

I have a 2000 sq foot house which the wow supplied gateway covers about 15-20 percent of... I've had that access point here for days off(which means the room we are primarily in has no access. Dan if you want me to unplug the router for a few days so you can still see the problems overflowing I will.

Any solution that gives my HOUSE Internet ( not just one room) and stops me from losing video and or Internet would be great.. WowDan you are welcome to contact me personally with the numbers on my account or email proudlarry@msn.com
Expand your moderator at work
Nonstick

Nonstick to Just_Dan

Anon

to Just_Dan

Re: Ultra TV = Beta?

So.. No solutions?

I can't really run with half house internet... I have 4 people living with me and we all require internet. What is my solution?

-Josh

Just_Dan
Premium Member
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

Unfortunately I'm not able to help, we can't support 3rd party devices. Many people here on the forums have had some luck with wireless AP's and range extenders. Maybe they will have some suggestions for you.
pargoff
join:2006-07-05
Canton, MI

pargoff

i turned the wireless off on the Arris. i have a trendnet and a d-link connected to the arris via ethernet and they act as AP's. DHCP is provided by the arris. no issues up to this point (knock on wood)

Nonstick
@wideopenwest.com

Nonstick to Just_Dan

Anon

to Just_Dan
Is there a way to up the power to the crappy wireless in the gateway? I.l happily unplug the 3rd party solution if wow has one.

Josh

notgonnahapn
@wideopenwest.com

notgonnahapn

Anon

I dont think you will get a response about wireless range unless its something like, "well mine is perfect and I live in a three story house and get good signal everywhere!" But the reality is that its weak as hell and if they arent going to do something about it then at least enable bridge mode. The only reason its not there is because then the dlna server portion wont work properly. Well guess what, i have used it twice after I set it up and havent touched it since. first its to laggy and second there are other devices that do it better. Now I cant speak for everyone but I know many people fed up with weak wireless from the gateway. I have seen b only routers beat this gateway.