how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

darkcrucible

join:2007-06-07
kudos:1

[Business] Business class questions

I'm on a promo for residential hsi and tv. It should end soon and rather than get them to extend it, I was thinking of just cancelling the tv part. I can get business class through my employer for a pretty good rate, no install fee, etc. I just had some questions about it first. I've looked some of this info up already (couldn't find it all) but the relevant posts that I could find were somewhat old. I want to make sure I still have updated info.

1) Do they still officially force you to use a certain modem/router combo?
1a) If they do, is there a rental fee for it? residential has a $7/mo rental fee for example
1b) I have read (see link below) that it's possible to provision your own modem. I have my own SB6120. Does this trick still work?

2) In areas where residential would have native ipv6, does business class have it as well?

3) Is it possible to have business class without a contract? Maybe not initially but what about after a contract ends?

If these three things check out, I'll probably switch soon.

»[Business] Does Comcast Business still allow non-SMC modems?

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
1. Only if you are using static IPs. If you opt for a dynamic IP, you can use a Motorola SB6120 or 6121 modem.

1a. I'm pretty sure there's a modem rental charge if you use one of the SMC modem/routers Comcast offers.

1b. No trick required anymore, the SB6120 and 6121 are officially supported on business, but only with a dynamic IP. A business CSR told me that change was effective as of January (although I did it a year prior by twisting some arms). The Comcast supported modem list reflects this.

2. I haven't checked myself, although I will do so tonight.

3. As far as I know, no. After a contract runs out, it automatically gets put on a reoccurring 1-year contract unless you cancel prior to the auto renewal.
--
KI6RIT

airwavz
Always the green wire

join:2011-09-11
Mount Juliet, TN
reply to darkcrucible
Business class DOES support the SB 6120 for a dynamic IP account - static IP accounts require the use of the SMC D3G (or 8014 if they are still using those). If you get their modem (which is actually a modem/router combo known as a 'Gateway') you WILL be charged $7.00 / mo. for it (and believe me, I've argued and argued - since I have a static IP and my contract specifically said $0 for equipment fees - but I can pay it, or I have the right to cancel my service, is their stance).

In areas with IPv6 active, assuming you use the SB6120, you should get IPv6 service, or you will soon. With the SMC devices, this will happen later, as the firmware to support that feature has not been released yet (as I understand it - I'm using an old router that doesn't support IPv6 so I can't tell you definitively).

Business class requires a MINIMUM 1-year contract, and that AUTO-RENEWS every year (with a substantial early-termination penalty) - that may or may not apply to the employer promo you are getting, so best to inquire with your business-class rep to be sure. Above all, READ the contract before signing - no matter WHAT you are told (assuming you do have a contract, and I highly believe you will with Biz-Class), the terms on paper are the only one's that count. If the rep says "Oh no, it's just month to month" but you sign a form that says it's for a 1-year term that auto-renews for successive 1-year terms, guess what holds up in court...

With that said, I'm at the end of a 3-year contract, and assuming the price doesn't go up, I'm happy to renew. It's had a few bumps along the way, but generally Biz-Class has been a good, dependable service, and tech-support has been (mostly) quite responsive when there were issues.

(or what n_w95482 said, who beat me to the punch by 6 minutes and change - LOL)

HTH

darkcrucible

join:2007-06-07
reply to darkcrucible
Thanks for the info so far. I hadn't realized the modem policy changed. This is good. I'll be sure to carefully review the contract. A coworker said it wasn't a contract but I'll remain cautious.
Even if it is a contract, I might go with it depending on the price. That and ipv6 of course.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
said by darkcrucible:

Thanks for the info so far. I hadn't realized the modem policy changed. This is good. I'll be sure to carefully review the contract. A coworker said it wasn't a contract but I'll remain cautious.
Even if it is a contract, I might go with it depending on the price. That and ipv6 of course.

IPv6 works on business, provided your CMTS has it enabled. I just checked on my connection and it worked (see here).

said by airwavz:

(or what n_w95482 said, who beat me to the punch by 6 minutes and change - LOL)

HTH

I typed that post up on my phone .
--
KI6RIT