share rss forum feed

ipv6huh

join:2012-06-26

[IPv6] Make IPv6 work with ZyWALL USG 50

Click for full size
WAN
Click for full size
LAN
I'm trying to get IPv6 working with DHCP-PD, as I understand it the modem with get a block, and then the LAN will get another block of IPv6 IPs assigned to it that will be handed out internally - but I'm not sure of the options, attached are the screenshot of the WAN config and LAN config pages. What should I pick - cause nothing I've tried has worked.

It was previously verified that IPv6 is available from the CMTS I'm on.

voiptalk

join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA

1 recommendation

Just an observation from your screenshots.

DHCPv6 does not automatically imply that DHCP-PD is supported. I've played about with several different platforms and I've always seen a very specific DHCP-PD LAN IPv6 address assignment option. I'm not seeing that here.

polarisdb

join:2004-07-12
USA
reply to ipv6huh

There was some discussion of it here a couple of months ago:

In the USG documentation chapter 2.6 there are are two different setups shown (in a slightly confusing way) for native IPv6. Ignore 2.6.1 to .2.6.3 which apply if you need to manually configure a routed IPv6 address block for your LAN. Instead go straight to 2.6.4 which shows how to setup the USG to auto-configure the WAN IPv6 address and to perform prefix delegation to the LAN. In theory that should be all that is needed for the USG on Comcast

As a fellow Comcast/USG 50 owner, please post your approach if you get IPv6 working.

ipv6huh

join:2012-06-26
reply to ipv6huh

User Guide Example
Click for full size
Interface list
Click for full size
WAN config
Click for full size
LAN config
So I followed the instructions per the User Guide...

- - - -
2.6.4.2 Setting Up the WAN IPv6 Interface
1) In the Configuration > Network > Interface > Ethernet screen's IPv6 Configuration section, double-click the wan1.
2) The Edit Ethernet screen appears. Select Enable Interface and Enable IPv6.
Click Create new Object to add a DHCPv6 Request object with the Prefix Delegation type.
Select Enable Auto-Configuration
Select Client in the DHCPv6 field. (WAN1's DUID appears.)
Click Add in the DHCPv6 Request Options table and select the DHCPv6 request object you just created. You cannot see the prefix your ISP gave you in the Value field until you click OK and then come back to this screen again. It is 2001:b050:2d::/48 in this example.
Note: Your ISP or a DHCPv6 server in the same network as the WAN should assign an IPv6 address for the WAN interface.

2.6.4.3 Setting Up the LAN Interface
1) In the Configuration > Network > Interface > Ethernet screen, double-click the lan1 in the IPv6 Configuration section.
2) The Edit Ethernet screen appears. Click Show Advanced Settings to display more on this screen.
Select the Enable Interface and Enable IPv6.
In the Address from DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation table, click Add and select the DHCPv6 request object from the drop-down list, type ::1111:0:0:0:1/128 in the Suffix Address field. (The combined address 2001:b050:2d:1111::1/128 will display as LAN1's IPv6 address after you click OK and come back to this screen again).
Note: You can configure the IPv6 Address/Prefix Length field instead if the delegated prefix is never changed.
Select Enable Router Advertisement.
In the Advertised Prefix from DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation table, click Add and select the DHCPv6 request object from the drop-down list, type :1111/64 in the Suffix Address field. (The combined prefix 2001:b050:2d:1111::/64 will display for the LAN1's network prefix after you click OK and come back to this screen again).
- - - -

The only deviations as you can see in my screenshots are because my IPv6 IP was not the same as their example, obviously. It would seem that I have a /128 (single address) assigned to the WAN and the LAN interfaces, and nothing else.

Curiously, on my Win7 test machine I get from ipconfig /all...

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2601:d:8a00:17b:1c7d:7f11:7232:f68c(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1c7d:7f11:7232:f68c%11(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ca6c:87ff:fe24:a237%11

(I also get an IPv4 address, which works fine, I just snipped that out for readability)

The result is...
- no IPv6 test site confirms my IPv6 connectivity is working
- my DNS server is on an IPv4 address, and can resolve IPv6 AAAA records resulting in an IPv6 address (so I think that part is OK, or do I also need a DNS server at an actual IPv6 address?
- I though I was supposed to get a /64 block from Comcast starting with 2601: ?

I realize I've exposed my IPv6 and link-local addresses here, and I do so willingly in the name of science - I'll change my MAC and get a different lease later when I'm done playing.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:78
reply to ipv6huh

You did get a DHCPv6 PD block from Comcast that starts with 2601 for your LAN. Your Windows box showed it.

Can you do a tracert to 2001:558:feed::1 and 2001:558:feed:2?

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:78
reply to ipv6huh

Just check the CMTS and DHCPv6, doesnt look like you have a address assigned to you right now. The PD isnt assigned but the /128 WAN interface is, did you shut this down?