Sam_K to ChilledCat

to ChilledCat

Re: [TWC] Question about avoiding TWC's WiFi service charge

said by ChilledCat:

Sam...

What kinda speeds you seeing now ? Is it close to the
level yer paying for ?

30 & 50 are available lots of areas. [if'n ya need fast/fastest]

Here are the speeds I'm getting. I tested last night and it was about the same.

vortix
join:2012-07-23

vortix

What Internet plan are you on? Upgrading your cable modem to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem does not automatically increase your speed. If you want faster speeds, you would also need to call Time Warner and have them upgrade your Internet plan (which will cost you more money each month).
Sam_K
join:2006-08-17
Rego Park, NY

Sam_K

said by vortix:

What Internet plan are you on? Upgrading your cable modem to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem does not automatically increase your speed. If you want faster speeds, you would also need to call Time Warner and have them upgrade your Internet plan (which will cost you more money each month).

I'm on the standard internet plan so my download speed should be 10mbps but I'm only getting 3mbps which is the speed of the basic internet plan. I'll double check my speed via an ethernet connection instead of wifi and then contact TWC. Maybe I'll get them to upgrade me to the turbo internet plan if it's not much more money.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by Sam_K:

said by vortix:

I'm on the standard internet plan so my download speed should be 10mbps but I'm only getting 3mbps which is the speed of the basic internet plan. I'll double check my speed via an ethernet connection instead of wifi and then contact TWC. Maybe I'll get them to upgrade me to the turbo internet plan if it's not much more money.

Try connecting the cable modem directly to a computer with its network cable?
Sam_K
join:2006-08-17
Rego Park, NY

Sam_K

said by antdude:

said by Sam_K:

said by vortix:

Try connecting the cable modem directly to a computer with its network cable?

Here are 3 speed tests with my laptop connected directly to the cable modem via ethernet. I'm getting between 3-4 mb/s download and my service is supposed to get up to 10 mb/s. Should I contact TWC because I should be getting much closer to 10 mb/s or am I getting what I should expect?

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by Sam_K:

Here are 3 speed tests with my laptop connected directly to the cable modem via ethernet. I'm getting between 3-4 mb/s download and my service is supposed to get up to 10 mb/s. Should I contact TWC because I should be getting much closer to 10 mb/s or am I getting what I should expect?

Sure if it never went close to 10 Mb/sec. Just remember, it is UP to that limit and you won't get alway gety that high. What about peak hours? Does it get slower?