uniqs
share rss forum feed

HoboJ

join:2008-03-27
Cornwall, ON
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to DarkSithPro

Re: Could Linux take off thanks to Windows 8?

Until you find linux pre-installed on computers sold at bestbuy, etc you'll never see it take off spectacularly. Most people don't care whatsoever about what OS their computer is running, they just want it to work right out of the pretty box they bought it in.

Of course this doesn't mean we wont have more people using linux on the desktop after Windows 8 failboats. It's just a little insane to think that linux will magically fly onto everyones computers should they severely dislike Windows 8.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

said by HoboJ:

Until you find linux pre-installed on computers sold at bestbuy, etc you'll never see it take off spectacularly.

This happened quite a few years ago actually. Best Buy was selling desktops with Lindows on them for $300. You paid for the hardware and you got the OS for free. In the end, it was a major flop.

I agree with pfak though about it not being ready for the desktop. You'll never have a standardized version of Linux that revolves around one GUI. Myself, I am a Gnome kind of person and I use to love Ubuntu. Then came along this pile of horse-sh** called Unity, thus having me find another Debian based distro. I know there are ways to fix that, but I don't want the time in doing so.
--
Core i7 2720QM : GTX 460M : 16GB DDR3-1333 : 320GB x 2 in RAID 0 : Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
I have anonymous postings turned off.