how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Alterkocher

join:2008-06-23
Silver Spring, MD

[Beginner] Internet Problems After Office Install

I am a Mac novice so any help you experts can give is appreciated. I recently purchased a new iMac running Lion and I needed Word for some work projects so I purchased and installed Microsoft Office 2008 For Mac. The installation seemed to go ok until the very end when it said "The software was successfully installed" and then I got a spinning beachball for several minutes. I rebooted the iMac and Word seems to work fine, but ever since I installed Office 2008 my DSL is flaky and Safari sometimes locks up or acts like it cannot find any websites which never happened before. Does anyone know if maybe Office 2008 is causing my internet connection to act weird and if so what can I do about it.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne
You could uninstall/trash Office, then see if how your DSL and Safari work. You can always reinstall it.

BTW, I have a mid-2011 iMac running Lion and have Microsoft Office 2011.....No issues.
--
Obama in 2012 - There's No Tea Left In The Bag.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
reply to Alterkocher
That's strange.

Is it done downloading all the patches and what not? Is the machine completely up to date? Apple -> Software Update

Alterkocher

Silver Spring, MD
i have not upgraded to 10.7.4 because the internet says it messes up my bluetooth mouse and keyboard. I have not done any updates to office yet either because some people said the updates make it incompatible with Lion. I guess maybe I am listening to too many negative comments on Google. i will try updating Office later today. Thanks for that suggestion.

Alterkocher

Silver Spring, MD
One more weird thing, when I check Activity Monitor is says I am using 2.8GB of my 4GB of memory even though I am only running Safari. I am wondering if Office 2008 is some kind of memory resource hog and that might be causing Safari to act flakey. Is it normal to use that much RAM just running Lion and Safari. I never checked the Activity Monitor before installing Office so I have nothing to compare it against. Thanks again for any advice.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Alterkocher
It's not Office. Neither your internet issue nor your memory consumption are Office related.

However, just uninstall Office to verify.

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2500821
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Alterkocher

Silver Spring, MD
I uninstalled Office and things still were not working right in regards to connectivity. I called my Internet provider and AppleCare and did not get any resolution. I finally decided to connect with the airport card rather than with wired ethernet and so far today it seems to be working better. I plan to give it a real test today to see if it hangs or freezes. I just don't understand why a wired ethernet connection would not work correctly even after I uninstalled Office but the wi-fi connection seems better.

Alterkocher

Silver Spring, MD
reply to Alterkocher
After totally uninstalling Microsoft Office 2008 my Internet connection is still freezing and dropping carrier at random times. I turned off wi-fi and have the wired ethernet connection back up and running. I verified and repaired permissions. I would really appreciate any ideas for troubleshooting Lion network connections since Verizon DSL says their line tests show my DSL line is fine. I have the Westell 327W modem if that gives any clues.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Alterkocher
Now that you've eliminated Office 2008, you're left with the same somewhat random problem some people have with lion and networking.

»discussions.apple.com/thread/319···tstart=0
»discussions.apple.com/thread/319···tstart=0
»osxdaily.com/2011/07/22/wifi-dro···n-fixes/

Check all your wired and wireless network setting to make sure they're right.

If you were planning on spending the $20 to upgrade to mountain lion, that might not be a bad option right now, as it will install new OS bits which may fix anything that's messed up.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us