dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Razzy
join:2012-06-21

Razzy to DarkSithPro

to DarkSithPro

Re: Could Linux take off thanks to Windows 8?

»linuxfonts.narod.ru/why. ··· ent.html
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned)

Long list. ATi and nVidia really need to get their drivers working properly. The open source drivers are a joke and Ati and nVidia are not going to OS their compiler tech.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

said by DarkSithPro:

Long list. ATi and nVidia really need to get their drivers working properly. The open source drivers are a joke and Ati and nVidia are not going to OS their compiler tech.

Strange, I have no problems using nouveau. Why is it a joke?
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned)

said by EUS:

said by DarkSithPro:

I want more than basic 3d acceleration. I want all the features offered on the 400 dollar box I payed for.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Not very informative.

TuxRaiderPen2
Make America Great Again
join:2009-09-19

TuxRaiderPen2 to EUS

to EUS
said by EUS:
Lack of 3D acceleration
Lack of feature support
Lack.. of CUDA
Lack..lack of fan/temp controls
Lack.. performance

Hmmm.. lack... or lacking... period.

NON OEM - This may not be an issue to you, but I use OEM software and/or drivers ie: HPLIP, nvidia, etc. v. community drivers like noveau. unless there is no OEM support ie: Kodak AIO5500 via cups2eps

Yes in some cases the community may provide better drivers/software, which is fine, and if thats the case I would use those except in the case of video. I want nVidias drivers, period. KMS support is NOT of interest or required by me. Nor is 90% of the features of the card(s) I have. I have a card specifically to drive multiple monitors at high resolution for desktop and video playback on anything from 22 to 37"

AND more importantly in the vain of this topic...

users coming from another "OS" expect [demand] the OEM to provide the software/drivers they need. If you think there is going to be any change in ways or learning from these users on how drivers etc. work in Linux, BSD, etc.. You can fuhggeddit! Thats not happening.

LinuxMike
@verizon.net

LinuxMike to DarkSithPro

Anon

to DarkSithPro
The good thing about linux is that its open source. So any problems with the ATI or Nvidia drivers can easily be fixed by people within the linux community. I expect one of our hack brothers is already working on this and you should see brand new drivers by tomorrow morning. Thats why open source is better than closed source.