uniqs
share rss forum feed

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

[Rant] BoA cancels my debit card...

I did some activity online with my debit card, buying my books for some college classes I am taking (Barnes & Noble college bookstore through the school), bought my older son a Minecraft license (through Minecraft's website), and paid my car insurance. This was yesterday.

Today, I get a call from BoA, saying they are going to cancel my card because I used my card on a site that has had a security compromise in the past, and "while no fraudulent activity has been found on your (my) account, we are cancelling your card anyway."

Okay, they say they are doing it to protect my account, but now I have to get a new card, and the card in my pocket is useless.

If I wasn't working today, I'd be screwed, because I don't carry cash, so I would have to go to a bank, and get cash, and then go to lunch.

I don't know.. I shouldn't be bitching, but I am. I am going to go down to my local branch and get a new card, since if they sent me a new one from "corporate", it would be 5-7 business days before I get it. If I go to the bank, I can get a temp card today.
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

It'd be nice if they call you before they cancel it outright. The Minecraft thing may have done it since their financial support is downright terrible and overseas to boot.

I had USAA cancel my primary credit card a couple months ago because they "detected suspicious online activity." I checked my statement and saw no unauthorized charges. Fortunately I had a backup account I could use since the 5-7 business days invariably becomes 20+ before the new card arrives.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk

1 edit
reply to neonhomer

Same thing happened with one of my Chase Credit cards. They canceled it because Penn Station got hacked or something and my number was compromised.

Paid a bill and the called said credit card was denied. Figured this might be an address mismatch since I was in process of moving. Some companies had correct some didn't. But they tried it again and claimed it came back address mismatch. Just gave them a different card.

Couple days later wife then tried to use it in person. Denied again. Checked online and noticed I was in Topps Market in Buffalo. Hmm nice $300 dollar charge.

Called them and they had already canceled my card after that transaction.

They said they tried to call. Now this was my fault I hadn't updated my phone number with them. They still had a number I haven't had in 8 years

Moral of story keep you contact numbers up to date. And I am glad they went ahead and cancelled it. After I called they send new card next day delivery. Thank you Chase.

BTW they did refund the $300 without issue.

To OP best option would be carry second card. Buy prepay one for an emergency if don't want an actual credit card.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to neonhomer

Same happened to me, though they said they needed to not that they already did.

More accurately they said there was a security breach and my card was among the ones compromised, so they needed to cancel it and get it replaced, they also wanted to verify that no fraud had actually occurred.

So I drove to a branch got a temp card and went on with my day.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL

Similar call, except they told me they *had* to cancel it.

As soon as Daria is over, I am going down and getting my card replaced...

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Use this as an opportunity to close your BoA accounts and move your business to a better bank.

When my Chase* credit card number was stolen, Chase mailed me a new card the same day and I had it the next day. I had the card in my hands 24 hours after I called them.

* I don't advocate having a Chase bank account; I just have one of their credit cards.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL

I really don't care for any of the other banks around. I have Wells Fargo, Regions, and a couple of local banks and credit unions...

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
reply to Bob4

IMO I would limit the info I give to someone that calls me telling me something is up, they could be a scammer.

Thus I'd rather just go and pickup a temp card and have the branch (which I know really is the bank order a new one)

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to neonhomer

BOA did this to me last week.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to neonhomer

You don't have a Credit Card?
I'd be happy they cancel my debit card if I was on a bad site!
Debt cards are not secure at all, a thief can wipe you out!

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
reply to chamberc

I just answered their questions, and then I went down to a local branch and picked up a new card. They looked and it was indeed noted in my account that they had called.

It's just an inconvienence. They say they are doing it to protect my account, but if they cover fraudulent losses, then the only thing they are protecting is there own interests, and my hassle.

Last time I had my account actually compromised, it took me five minutes on the phone to get the money back in my account, and then 15 min at a branch to get a new card.

This took over 30 min on the phone, and then about a hour at the branch.
--

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8

1 recommendation

This is why you should have multiple credit cards.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to neonhomer

said by neonhomer:

if they sent me a new one from "corporate", it would be 5-7 business days before I get it.

There's no good reason it should take more than 24 hours to get a new card in the mail (or via FedEx) to you.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to neonhomer

Have had it happen twice not through BoA and NO CALL.. just a cancelled credit card rather then debit. I now have two credit cards for a just in case.

When I called the second time quite angry mind you.. they overnighted another credit card but it is still irritating to try to pay for something like groceries only to find out your credit card has been cancelled.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to neonhomer

Minecraft: I tried helping my sister, my BIL tried helping her, nothing we did, from 3 computers, could get them to take 2 different legit credit cards, it seems like they are one of the absolute worst outfits on the planet. We decided they can go to hell, since our efforts to contact them or post in the forum or make an account that didn't disappear within 12 hours was just downright, well, you know. They SUCK, that is probably why you got screwed up.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

2 recommendations

reply to Gbcue

said by Gbcue:

No this is why people should use cash before the whole deck of cards (pun intended) crashes.

Forget zombies, nukes and terrorists I swear if those precious little plastic cards ceased to work country wide some day your whole civilization would come to an end.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to neonhomer

I have a CC with Wells Fargo, and the last time something like this happened to me they only deactivated (not cancelled) the card. As soon as I called them and confirmed all the charges were legit, they simply re-activated it and I went on my way. Didn't take 2 minutes.

I don't see why BoA feels they must immediately cancel a card if they see what they only think is suspicious activity...

At any rate, this is why I have 3 different cards, each on a different account, at 2 different banks. Should one decide to cancel everything at least I'm not stranded.

/M

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

Minecraft: I tried helping my sister, my BIL tried helping her, nothing we did, from 3 computers, could get them to take 2 different legit credit cards, it seems like they are one of the absolute worst outfits on the planet. We decided they can go to hell, since our efforts to contact them or post in the forum or make an account that didn't disappear within 12 hours was just downright, well, you know. They SUCK, that is probably why you got screwed up.

OK, for the third time (you ignored my previous two attempts to help you): Their CC processor is overseas, and the problem is probably with your credit card company. Did you try contacting your credit card company to see if they can take steps to authorize the overseas transaction?

About 7 million people have purchased Minecraft (16,000 in the past day alone), so it would seem the problem is not on Minecraft's end.

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
reply to neonhomer

Count me in as another who had problems with getting a Minecraft license. About 3 weeks ago I tried to get one for my great nephew. I first tried with a virtual card number on my Citi card account... got declined. I then tried another virtual CC#... still no dice. I may have even tried with my real Citi card number. I also tried creating additional Minecraft accounts and also tried using my Charter One credit card... still no dice.

I eventually wound up having to pay for it with my Paypal account with a virtual CC# on my Citi card.

Citi called me the following Monday to let me know about what appeared to them to be fraudulent charges. I confirmed that the Paypal charge was legit and all has been well since. I got hit with a $0.75 foreign transaction fee though since the Mincraft license had to be bought in Euros.

There's no other way to get a Minecraft license... you have to go through their horrible overseas payment processor.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

There's nothing wrong with Minecraft's payment processor. The problem is with the US credit card companies. I, too, had trouble with Citi and Minecraft. But Capital One had no trouble approving the transaction. And no foreign transaction fee with Capital One!

Time
Premium
join:2003-07-05
Mclean, VA
reply to peterboro

said by peterboro:

said by Gbcue:

No this is why people should use cash before the whole deck of cards (pun intended) crashes.

Forget zombies, nukes and terrorists I swear if those precious little plastic cards ceased to work country wide some day your whole civilization would come to an end.

If civilization collapsed, and unless your dollar bills are stamped in gold, they'll have as much worth as my plastic cards.
--
"If it can't be done with brains, it can't be done with hours" - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
reply to neonhomer

Weighing in on the Minecraft issue... I put in my info, and then processed the order. A "Verified by Visa" box popped up, saying I may have to put in a passcode or something like that. The box then changed, to say "Verify by Visa though Bank of America" (or something like that).

I had no problems with it.

It comes up under my statement as:

CHECKCARD MONEYBOOKERS LONDON ON 08/02
--

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to neonhomer

I had a similar thing happen to my BMO debit card. Used it at a retail store where an employee was later caught swiping card information.

Although there was no evidence that my card was among the ones that were copied/compromised, BMO cancelled my card.

I can live with the fact that it was a precaution to protect my account, that's fine, but the part that pisses me off is they never contacted me to inform me that my card had been canceled.

As I rarely use my debit card, a month went by and I was carrying around a useless card. Then I tried to use it and the transaction kept being declined, and I had no idea why until I called the bank myself.

I suppose a simple phone call notifying me my card had been canceled and why, is too much work for them?

PhoenixAZ
Get A Mac
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:1
reply to neonhomer

You can get a temporary card at Bank of America for the time being to use. No issues at all.

Expand your moderator at work

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
reply to PhoenixAZ

Re: [Rant] BoA cancels my debit card...

said by PhoenixAZ:

You can get a temporary card at Bank of America for the time being to use. No issues at all.

That's what I did... went down to the branch that afternoon, picked up a temporary card, and was good to go.

Only thing that sucked is I ordered some books with my card before it was cancelled. The bookstore didn't process the order until they were ready to ship. So when they ran the order, it bounced the charged because of the new card. Luckily, they called me and asked what was going on. Everything was straightened out, and my books were on their way...
--

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to neonhomer

I have USAA, Navy Federal Credit Union, Amex, and Discover and have never had this problems with any of them. USAA detected what they thought was suspicious activity, shut the card off and sent me a text alert. All I had to do was call in and confirm it was actually me and they switched it right back on. Same thing happened when I took the card to England and started using it, one short call and it was back on. USAA even overnighted me a new card while I was there because I mentioned that some places were giving me trouble taking it since the signature strip had gotten pretty scratched up from use and they were looking at it since it did not have chip and pin.--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL

Yeah, but USAA and NFCU are for military personnel... I was booted from RTC Great Lakes, so I don't qualify.....

Other than this issue, I really haven't had any issues with BoA.....