Time
Premium
join:2003-07-05
Mclean, VA
reply to peterboro

Re: [Rant] BoA cancels my debit card...

said by peterboro:

said by Gbcue:

This is why you should have multiple credit cards.

No this is why people should use cash before the whole deck of cards (pun intended) crashes.

Forget zombies, nukes and terrorists I swear if those precious little plastic cards ceased to work country wide some day your whole civilization would come to an end.

If civilization collapsed, and unless your dollar bills are stamped in gold, they'll have as much worth as my plastic cards.
--
"If it can't be done with brains, it can't be done with hours" - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to neonhomer
Weighing in on the Minecraft issue... I put in my info, and then processed the order. A "Verified by Visa" box popped up, saying I may have to put in a passcode or something like that. The box then changed, to say "Verify by Visa though Bank of America" (or something like that).

I had no problems with it.

It comes up under my statement as:

CHECKCARD MONEYBOOKERS LONDON ON 08/02
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to neonhomer
I had a similar thing happen to my BMO debit card. Used it at a retail store where an employee was later caught swiping card information.

Although there was no evidence that my card was among the ones that were copied/compromised, BMO cancelled my card.

I can live with the fact that it was a precaution to protect my account, that's fine, but the part that pisses me off is they never contacted me to inform me that my card had been canceled.

As I rarely use my debit card, a month went by and I was carrying around a useless card. Then I tried to use it and the transaction kept being declined, and I had no idea why until I called the bank myself.

I suppose a simple phone call notifying me my card had been canceled and why, is too much work for them?

PhoenixAZ
Get A Mac
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:1
reply to neonhomer
You can get a temporary card at Bank of America for the time being to use. No issues at all.
Expand your moderator at work

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to PhoenixAZ

Re: [Rant] BoA cancels my debit card...

said by PhoenixAZ:

You can get a temporary card at Bank of America for the time being to use. No issues at all.

That's what I did... went down to the branch that afternoon, picked up a temporary card, and was good to go.

Only thing that sucked is I ordered some books with my card before it was cancelled. The bookstore didn't process the order until they were ready to ship. So when they ran the order, it bounced the charged because of the new card. Luckily, they called me and asked what was going on. Everything was straightened out, and my books were on their way...
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to neonhomer
I have USAA, Navy Federal Credit Union, Amex, and Discover and have never had this problems with any of them. USAA detected what they thought was suspicious activity, shut the card off and sent me a text alert. All I had to do was call in and confirm it was actually me and they switched it right back on. Same thing happened when I took the card to England and started using it, one short call and it was back on. USAA even overnighted me a new card while I was there because I mentioned that some places were giving me trouble taking it since the signature strip had gotten pretty scratched up from use and they were looking at it since it did not have chip and pin.--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
Yeah, but USAA and NFCU are for military personnel... I was booted from RTC Great Lakes, so I don't qualify.....

Other than this issue, I really haven't had any issues with BoA.....

PhoenixAZ
Get A Mac
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to ilikeme
I have USAA as well, and can't really use it because there is NO real way to deposit cash! I called USAA and they said that I have to use Western Union??? Very shady indeed to use Western Union!....the lack of deposit taking ATMs is an issue. I am using BofA and Wells for my every day accounts, Wells has been great, but BofA has been a nightmare to deal with...though I do give them credit for getting better, and their fraud protection actually works, I was able to get all my money back within 1 day after being defrauded...can't really beat that while other banks may take weeks-months while they "investigate" leaving you with no money for the time being.

PhoenixAZ
Get A Mac
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to ilikeme
said by ilikeme:

I have USAA, Navy Federal Credit Union, Amex, and Discover and have never had this problems with any of them. USAA detected what they thought was suspicious activity, shut the card off and sent me a text alert. All I had to do was call in and confirm it was actually me and they switched it right back on. Same thing happened when I took the card to England and started using it, one short call and it was back on. USAA even overnighted me a new card while I was there because I mentioned that some places were giving me trouble taking it since the signature strip had gotten pretty scratched up from use and they were looking at it since it did not have chip and pin.

Wells Fargo has told me that their cards will be Chip & PIN enabled sometime in 2013, especially now that Wal-Mart/Sam's new terminals can take Chip & PIN cards...it is sad how Wal-Mart got so big that they can pretty much dictate how a bank will do business... :-/

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to PhoenixAZ
said by PhoenixAZ:

I have USAA as well, and can't really use it because there is NO real way to deposit cash!

Thats what I use the Navy Federal account for. They have more locations and are part of a credit union co-op which has locations all over the place. I then transfer the money to USAA electronically and at no charge.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to neonhomer
I had something like that happen to me. My debit card stopped working. I went into the bank and they had no clue, so they re-activated it, then the next day it was non-functional. Went back to the bank and this time they had a memo that there had been some debit card skimming scam happen somewhere and my card was on the list as having used the joint.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

PhoenixAZ
Get A Mac
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to ilikeme
said by ilikeme:

said by PhoenixAZ:

I have USAA as well, and can't really use it because there is NO real way to deposit cash!

Thats what I use the Navy Federal account for. They have more locations and are part of a credit union co-op which has locations all over the place. I then transfer the money to USAA electronically and at no charge.

if only it didn't take so long to transfer between banks

ilikeme
Premium
Sugar Land, TX
Usually between my usaa and nfcu accounts it take about 2-3 business days.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to The Pig
That's a myth.

»usa.visa.com/personal/security/v···ity.html

I am sure others have similar policies too.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

PhoenixAZ
Get A Mac
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to mackey
With cash, you're at the mercy of the store if something goes wrong with the item. With cards, you can always get your money back somehow.

PhoenixAZ
Get A Mac
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to ilikeme
said by ilikeme:

Usually between my usaa and nfcu accounts it take about 2-3 business days.

2-3 days too many. At deposit taking ATMs you get access to the cash right away.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to PhoenixAZ
said by PhoenixAZ:

With cash, you're at the mercy of the store if something goes wrong with the item. With cards, you can always get your money back somehow.

First, when did I say anything about cash? Second, only real Credit Cards are protected by federal law; debit cards are at the mercy of your banks' policies.

/M