Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

[DVR] Glitching - not tiling necessarily

Hi all - I'm having major issues with my DVR ... it's doing some very bizarre glitching; not the usual tiling or tearing, but a quick flash of "static" on the screen and an audio drop every few seconds. This happens whether I'm watching live TV, recorded programs, or even while the IMG is on screen!

See 2 videos here:

»youtu.be/xdx9hk4ggEM

»youtu.be/6-F2_WnRzf8

Even more bizarre, it happens even when the menu / IMG is on screen - see video:

»youtu.be/wZweBNkegKY

This started yesterday, so I rebooted the DVR... it seemed better for a while, but came back this morning.

I just rebooted it again, and it seems OK for now. Very weird.

Two questions:

#1 - has anyone seen this before?
#2 - I was thinking maybe I have a bad sector or somesuch on the hard disk. Is there a way to run a surface scan on the disk?

Thanks!

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2

1 edit

Are you using an HDMI connection to the TV? This sounds like a loose HDMI connection.

dennismurphy
Premium
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by PJL:

Are yiu using an HDMI connection to the TV? This sounds like a loose HDMI connection.

Yes but if it were loose, why would it be fine when I reset the DVR?

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2

You said it came back after the reboot, right? So the reboot did not fix the problem. Check the HDMI connections. I saw the same problem and when I reseated the connector the problem did stop.

dennismurphy
Premium
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by PJL:

You said it came back after the reboot, right? So the reboot did not fix the problem. Check the HDMI connections. I saw the same problem and when I reseated the connector the problem did stop.

It fixes it for many hours after the reboot ..... I'll double-check all the connectors, and hopefully that's it, but I doubt it.

WAldenIV

@myvzw.com
reply to dennismurphy

My service has been doing the same thing today. Really annoying. The optical audio connection has been solid, but HDMI audio kept dropping out. The HDMI picture feed has been dropping out to static this evening. I'm going to unplug overnight.

dennismurphy
Premium
Parsippany, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by WAldenIV :

My service has been doing the same thing today. Really annoying. The optical audio connection has been solid, but HDMI audio kept dropping out. The HDMI picture feed has been dropping out to static this evening. I'm going to unplug overnight.

Happy to hear I'm not the only one!

It was solid for the last year, and then all of a sudden, it started last week.

I reset all the cables, reset all the devices, and it goes away for a while, and then comes roaring back.

If this keeps up, I'm going to flip to component video cables.