Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
Premium
join:2004-12-20
La La Land
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

[MLB] Umpire ejects sound guy.

»www.cbsnews.com/8301-317 ··· ll-game/

quote:
Watch as home plate umpire Mario Seneca is not too amused when a version of "Three Blind Mice" comes through the PA system between innings. After realizing the song is likely a musical indictment of his umpiring abilities, he immediately ejects the culprit (Cubs "music man" Derek Dye) and issues a rare baseball ultimatum: no music or sound for the rest of the game.

"Turn the sound off for the rest of the night," Seneca is heard yelling.
I think this ump went WAY BEYOND reason when he "ejected" the sound guy.

Complain, but I don't think he can eject the guy.
--
Politics is a disease, we need a cure!
In constant search for intelligent life on Earth!

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA
kudos:3
The ump may not have a sense of humor, but I imagine he can have just about anybody he wants to ejected-- player, fan, employee, whomever. He's in charge of the game, and if he deigns someone is somehow interfering with the game or acting in some improper manner, he can call for them to be ejected.

If management won't go along, I'll bet the other umpires would back their own and refuse to umpire further, calling the game off.
Then it's in the Commissioner's hands, and I imagine he'd ultimately back the umpires too. He'd basically have to.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to JRW2
Ummm...that song has been a uncomplimentary indictment of umpires in EVERY single stadium in MLB, AAA, AA, and below for years. This is the first he's heard of it?

Not to mention referees in other sports like Hockey, Basketball and Football.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to JRW2
I've never seen the sound guy getting the hook

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
reply to JRW2
It's safe to say that ump will never make the show with a hook like that! lol
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
Premium
join:2004-12-20
La La Land
kudos:5
I think he sealed his fate at this point, he is never going to make it out of the minors.......
--
Politics is a disease, we need a cure!
In constant search for intelligent life on Earth!

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
reply to shaner
I've never heard it in the 80+MLB games I've been to...

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH
It wouldn't surprise me if it's specifically banned by MLB. I know someone who used to operate the scoreboard at a major league ballpark. They were to never show a replay on the big screen if it showed the ump made a wrong call. Doing so would generate a large fine for the club.
--
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
said by bjf123:

They were to never show a replay on the big screen if it showed the ump made a wrong call. Doing so would generate a large fine for the club.

That is a fact, can't recall where I heard it, but it was mentioned during a broadcast. Would be quite the uproar showing a bad play in front of the home crowd.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein