spc
Search similar:

uniqs
abasdg
join:2001-12-13
Fort Worth, TX

abasdg

U-verse Installation Question

I'm curious as to how AT&T will likely handle a u-verse TV / Internet installation, and what would be the best route to go, using existing wiring, or new runs.

The house has CAT5e coming from the outside box, which gets routed to a panel in a upstairs bedroom closet. From there, CAT5e goes to the various telephone outlets in the house. Also RG6 goes to cable outlets in a few rooms.

Currently, there is regular AT&T DSL service and landline service. The DSL the modem connected to a phone jack in a room upstairs.

I'm undecided right now as to keeping the landline, going with uverse voice, or dropping it altogether.

cfm117
join:2004-02-13
Winnetka, CA

cfm117

Sounds like maybe you can do an all cat 5 setup with some switches at your smart panel. Either way it sounds like your setup is more then ready.
ineel
join:2011-08-12
Sacramento, CA

ineel to abasdg

to abasdg
I have the same exact setup as you. The technician used the existing cat 5e from the NID to the panel where the RG resides. From there I have a tv connected via coax to the family room tv since the closest cat5e outlet is in the room behind the tv and I didn't want any hoes in my wall at the time. It works perfectly since 2008 so I have no reason to go to cat5e. I added a receiver and they sent me a wireless receiver without charge and that works much faster than that old dvr I've had forever. Though every once in a while the.wireless receiver will lose signal maybe twice a month so it's not bad. It does start faster than the dvr. I also have a cat5e line going to my office to hardwire my desktop and another to the kitchen to my ooma VoIP box.

Forosnai
join:2011-09-30

Forosnai to abasdg

to abasdg
Tech will put the Residential Gateway in the upstairs closet. I would ask them to keep the TVs off cat5, so you can use the Cat5 runs to the rooms for your own network. You can't mix set top boxes and your own network equipment on the same LAN port on the RG or your have problems with picture artifacting and Internet slowdowns.
UverseTech2
join:2012-08-04

UverseTech2 to abasdg

to abasdg
Always use cat 5 over coax, coax is bad with uverse. If it makes you feel better put in a switch or ask the tech for an 8 port netgear switch for either you tvs or your date the artifacting is due to rf not cat 5. Make sure no cat 5 runs near fluorescent lighting or any kind of a rf output device. If you have a smart panel 9 out of 10 times it will all play nice. a great test ist to turn on all tvs to HD if you have it and do a multiple concurrent ping tests and change the frame size to lets say 1024kbps to put a strain on the connection, if you get no artifacts after this runs for a minute or so you are probably good. I use this ping style testing when customers are told they can get our service when they are at a questionable distance in order to qualify them or decline service.
abasdg
join:2001-12-13
Fort Worth, TX

abasdg

Currently, the CAT5e is terminated to a telephone punchdown block in the closet (RJ45 at the outlets). Would the installer be able to change the termination to RJ45, possibly using a patch panel, in the closet for any ports I would want as a data connection as opposed to telephone?
UverseTech2
join:2012-08-04

UverseTech2

the tech should just have to tone out the desired rj45 outlet for rg placement, preferably where the dvr will be as well. this is because all he has to do then is connect the dvr directly to the ethernet ports on the rg, kills 2 birds. if your tech starts to look for coax you are in trouble