whamel
Premium Member
join:2002-05-09
Evergreen Park, IL
·AT&T FTTP

1 edit

whamel

Premium Member

[Connectivity] Connectivity and speed issues,7 tech visits..

PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE....ANY ADVICE OR HELP! i AM AT THE END OF MY ROPES WITH COMCAST....
....but, anyone who can give me advice, please! I just spent 3 hours compiling all of this information,so I hope someone actually take a look at it. I live in Hattiesburg, MS and have the performance HSI and digital starter TV. The apartment I moved into had only RG59 wiring, we tried it, and it worked fine for HSI using the Motorola SB6120 until I got DVR audio issues.

Talked to apartment maintenance, they ran 2 new RG6 lines from the tap, un-split from the tap(2 independent tap connections). Well that fixed all TV issues minor and big.
BUT my SB6120 started then to lose sync every 20 mins, well after several tech visits and hours on the phone. I was advised to purchase a uBee DDM3513 and I have since replaced the SB6120. Now I have purchased 2 modems. WHY the SB6120 worked over RG59 with zero problems is beyond me...
Now my uBee, to work properly, actually has to be split, twice on -3.5db ports. the first 2 way connects my DVR and the other of that splitter connects to another splitter where my modem is connected off of. This is the exact same setup I used temp until I got rid of the SB6120. It tended to hold the upstream power and downstream power low enough to be within acceptable use ranges.
HOWEVER, when using my connection to the max, which I do. I design websites and upload and download 2-10GB of content in a single setting. SO I require the reliability. When I do consistent downloads/uploads. the up/down powers go out of wack and go through a power cycle once again.

I'm refuse to buy another modem, they both are/were Docsis 3, as recommended by comcast themselves regarding the approved purchase of personal use modems, a FAQ on the site. It can't JUST be the modem, something is not configured right at the headend or there are too many noise producing customer endpoints connected to taps that are not even customers anymore that still have their lines connected to the tap. I don't know what it is, but i'm freaking because I NEED the internet to make money.
I'm at the end of my rope, I qualify for the same speed tier through U-Verse and used it successfully for over a year, so if this continues then it time for a change.
I have attached all information asked when entering the forums asking for help, all in .pdf
To read this .pdf visit:
»www.billhamel.net/comcas ··· robs.pdf

Seriously, the speed and connectivity is making me need to get rid of it soon if not resolved. I spent 3 hours compiling this data and if someone can spend 20 mins and tell me what to do, ill do the stuff my damn self. Almost all of the info you need is in the .pdf mentioned above.
Thanks!
Bill

bdnhsv
join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

The US/DS levels seem fine. After you placed your second splitter inline your T3 timeouts went through the roof. That sounds like noise to me - I'd get another splitter, another rg6 patch cord (with compression fittings - not crimped), make sure all your connections are nice and tight (more than just hand tight), and finally place rf terminators on any open outlets/connections in your apt. After doing that, if your modem continues to experience T3's and reboots often, then it'll be something Comcast will have to find and resolve outside your apt.

whamel
Premium Member
Evergreen Park, IL
·AT&T FTTP

whamel

Premium Member

"The US/DS levels seem fine."
In your opinion, which 3 trials to fix my connection seemed to work? Essentially which of the 3 instances did look the best?

"After you placed your second splitter inline your T3 timeouts went through the roof. That sounds like noise to me - I'd get another splitter, another rg6 patch cord (with compression fittings - not crimped), make sure all your connections are nice and tight (more than just hand tight), and finally place rf terminators on any open outlets/connections in your apt."

Handy advice, but the last comcast guy here did just that. I have two coax outlets, really I only need one and that one is the only actually connected to the tap. The one line we use is for my DVR and modem, one comcast issued splitter, comcast tech done wiring and fittings...i would never use the crap at walmart, not the crap at walmart. And of the 7 techs here, 2 did a defiantly through job of either replacing faulty fittings or or un seen crimps in the line when it was just 1installed a few months ago.
'After doing that, if your modem continues to experience T3's and reboots often, then it'll be something Comcast will have to find and resolve outside your apt."

Could the T3's be caused by the still faulty Rg59 still prevalent in this building Over 150 apts)? Meaning people who do have service using RG59 seem to be more likely to introduce noise into the local node, having poor shielding. More than half the techs walked in and
said, whoops sorry, that problem is unresolvable on our end.

Well if push come to shove, I will go through every box with my specially acquired key tool and cut very connection off, let comcast sort it out and it gives them the perfect opportunity to actually do a damn connection audit...
This is the worst customer service nightmare I have been apart of. I get passed along to the next guy, he shows up and cant help, then i have to call again. I dont have time for this, been dealing with it since moved in 6 months ago, and remembered I have been a member of this site forever and figured I would go to you all for advice.
Thanks for your time!
-BILL

bdnhsv
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

In a perfect scenario your DS level would be 0, and your US level would be about 42-50. +/- 5-8 for DS is usually fine. If you're confident in all your internal wiring then yes, I'd re-engage Comcast (possibly even in their direct forum here) and get them to take note of the T3's. That should definitely get their attention. Yes, noise can be introduced anywhere in the cable plant where there is a cracked cable, loose connector, defective device, etc. Your neighbors can absolutely be inadvertently inserting noise into the US path. Cable technicians have special meters to detect cable leakage to help them diagnose and solve issues like this. It's an everyday never-ending battle for them.

whamel
Premium Member
Evergreen Park, IL
·AT&T FTTP

whamel

Premium Member

said by bdnhsv:

In a perfect scenario your DS level would be 0, and your US level would be about 42-50. +/- 5-8 for DS is usually fine. If you're confident in all your internal wiring then yes, I'd re-engage Comcast (possibly even in their direct forum here) and get them to take note of the T3's. That should definitely get their attention. Yes, noise can be introduced anywhere in the cable plant where there is a cracked cable, loose connector, defective device, etc. Your neighbors can absolutely be inadvertently inserting noise into the US path. Cable technicians have special meters to detect cable leakage to help them diagnose and solve issues like this. It's an everyday never-ending battle for them.

Where exactly would I engage them, I mean I made a small presentation, and that effort didn't come because I was bored. It came because half my income requires 1-2GB's transfer a dat via FTP and many servers don't have resume capabilities. It eats up time, makes me aggravated and sometimes late on projects. If you could point me to someone you know who would be of great service or, what I need to do to get in contact with them.
Thanks!
_bill

bdnhsv
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

I'd try the Comcast direct forum here on DSL reports. You can also call the office here in Huntsville (which I think manages MS) and ask for the General Manager (I think his name is Butch Jernigan based on the local BBB website). You could also contact the corporate office in PA (Neil Smit is the CEO).

whamel
Premium Member
Evergreen Park, IL
·AT&T FTTP

whamel

Premium Member

You don't know anyone on this site personally, or if there is a list of them, like is there a link that gives me instructions on contacting them personally?. Do they read these posting by the way? I can try the phone, but I will try my luck with all of you passionate knowledgeable people here. Thnaks for all your help. I do appreciate it!
-Bill

bdnhsv
Huntsville, AL

1 recommendation

bdnhsv

No _ don't know the moderators of the Comcast direct forum personally, but here is a link to it. Start a new thread there and see if they can assist.

»Comcast Direct

The number for the office in Huntsville is 256-859-7800. I already gave you the GM's name.

I don't have the phone # for their corporate HQ handy, but I bet you can find it if you search for it. And again, I gave you the name of their CEO already.

That's all I know to suggest to you. Good luck!

whamel
Premium Member
Evergreen Park, IL

1 edit

whamel

Premium Member

SERIOUSLY, YOU ARE AWESOME! I actually found it and posted into it already when I got ur reply.
I even already got a reply back from someone!
Thanks for the help.

Have a great day,thanks again!
-Bill

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by whamel:

SERIOUSLY, YOU ARE AWESOME! I actually found it and posted into it already when I got ur reply.
I even already got a reply back from someone!
Feel free to see if i'm lying or not:
»[Connectivity] Connectivity and speed issues, 2 new modems, 7 te

Have a great day,thanks again!
-Bill

Actually only you and authorized Comcast techs can see if you're lying or not.

The Comcast Direct forum (which is where your link points) has very strict security to protect your privacy.

whamel
Premium Member
Evergreen Park, IL

whamel

Premium Member

I will fix that

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by whamel:

I will fix that

Fix what?

My previous post was just an FYI that the Comcast Direct forum is private and not viewable by the public, and I doubt that you will be able to "fix that".

Most people prefer it that way, and I certainly don't have any real interest in seeing the contents of your private conversations with a Comcast tech.

whamel
Premium Member
Evergreen Park, IL
·AT&T FTTP

whamel

Premium Member

what i meant was pull down the link...however he did email me and gave me a detailed description of what he did. I talked to head maintenance here at the apts, and he said that on 1 months alone we have had 32 cable tv/internet complaints directed at maintenance. I got the guy at comcast here in the forums in talks with the head maintenance dude...ill post u on updates. i gotta run...
Bill

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by whamel:

I talked to head maintenance here at the apts, and he said that on 1 months alone we have had 32 cable tv/internet complaints directed at maintenance. I got the guy at comcast here in the forums in talks with the head maintenance dude...ill post u on updates. i gotta run...
Bill

Sounds as if you may finally get some action taken to fix your connectivity problems. I am fortunate in the apartment complex I live in. The buildings are either garden apartments or townhouses, and the cable wiring is all external except for the feed through to each apartment, and it is all maintained by Comcast instead of the apartment maintenance crew (I also use a leased modem, so with any Comcast related problem, I only have to point my finger to one place).

Good luck.