aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt to Onedollar

Premium Member

to Onedollar

Re: Will you switch to Google Fiber?

Why not FiOS areas? They are the only large provider that could have a possiblity of competing with the Google Fiber speeds.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

I believe I saw somewhere mention that Google is using a Gigabit Passive Optical Network (GPON?!) for their Gigabit network. If that is the case and it's not something such as GXPON or another form of modulation, Verizon could very well say "1Gbps, tomorrow night, do it" and have 1Gbps/1Gbps going to everyone. That is provided that the ONTs are up to the task and the newer ActionTec routers (Rev. G and I) are up to the task.

Apparently the Google Fiber router is believed to be made by ActionTec as well. No surprise, since their routers have nice hardware in them. The firmware is another issue, however.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to aaronwt

MVM

to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

Why not FiOS areas? They are the only large provider that could have a possiblity of competing with the Google Fiber speeds.

And what ISP wants serious competition?

There's a difference between being THE competition and HAVING competition.

So think any cableco vs. googlefiber or fios vs. googlefiber. Which competition pair is most likely? Googlefiber can take on any cableco. Neither google nor verizon want to take each other on at this time. Neither one has pockets that deep. Shareholders won't allow it.

Besides, you know how long it took to fiber up your area. Do you think you could stand it again to wait for reality?

All the google hype now was fios hype in '05. You'll find that google, just like verizon is now, will turn into just another cableco. They're all in predictable life stages.

To the OP's question: if I was stuck with high price cable or slow tech dsl or worse, I'd be tempted, very tempted. But we know that Kansas City is a test bed for google's other dreams. Sure they can control the network and what's done on it, but that's nowhere near as lucrative to their main business.

Kansas City is just a means to another end.
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

I don't think Google fiber uses a passive optical network so technically it can provide far superior speeds than what FiOS has deployed even in GPON areas, so hell yes I would go for it. More for less? Who wouldn't? Let's not beat around the bush, what google has deployed, Verizon would have to completely rip out and replace their current FiOS network with a more expensive active network and IPTV solution. Google did their fiber network right from step 1. Verizon is years behind even with FiOS.

I'm very happy with my 150/65 though and that's still better than what most people in the US and the world have. If I had google fiber I would have to like turn my garage into a mini datacenter or something. Maybe google will find a way into most markets as it's own new Telco in a decade or two though? Who knows.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87

said by McBane:

Let's not beat around the bush, what google has deployed, Verizon would have to completely rip out and replace their current FiOS network with a more expensive active network and IPTV solution.

More expensive?! $23 Billion for FIOS wasn't pocket change for Verizon...
McBane
Wylie, TX

McBane

said by serge87:

said by McBane:

Let's not beat around the bush, what google has deployed, Verizon would have to completely rip out and replace their current FiOS network with a more expensive active network and IPTV solution.

More expensive?! $23 Billion for FIOS wasn't pocket change for Verizon...

Verizon also just isn't one one small metro area. FiOS is awesome but Google fiber is technically superior. If you deploy Google fiber to a similar size footprint as FiOS it would be even more expensive.
prisaz
join:2008-08-11
Germantown, MD

prisaz

Yes I love my FiOS. But $70 for gigabit. I might just want two fibers to my house. FiOS TV. And Google Internet.
McBane
Wylie, TX

McBane

Heh yea I couldn't live without ESPN either so I guess I'd have two fibers as well Did google really not include ESPN? That's dumb.

EDIT: Wow just checked and yea no ESPN, they are that dumb... I guess Google has a lot to learn about the TV business