Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

1 edit

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

Re: how to access modem settings in bridge mode?

** Option number two (If your Westell modem combo had only one RJ-45 LAN port) **

Since your modem combo has at least two RJ-45 LAN ports, this is only for your info.

#1 Your Linksys router has a built in switch.

#2 Make sure that you have a hub or switch that is not included in a router.

Please note, In your case: Since your modem combo has at least two LAN ports, no seperate hub/switch is required - so you can safely ingore this step and the steps that talk about a hub or switch that is not included in a router.

#3 Make sure that your hub or switch that is not included in a router is only connected to a power supply.

#4 Make sure your computer has a wired NIC.

#5 Make sure you know how to manually setup a Static IP on your computer.

#6 Disconnect the Linksys router from the Westell, at the Linksys router - end.

#7 Connect the end of the wire that you disconnected from the Linksys router to the uplink port of the device at step 3.

#8 Connect another wire to the Linksys router's WAN port (The port that you disconnected at step 6).

#9 The end of the wire goes to any other port of the device at step 3 but not the uplink port or the port right next to it.

#10 Disconnect the ethernet wire that is connected to your Linksys that connects to your computer (at the Linksys end).

#11 Setup a Static IP on the NIC that you disconnected at step 10 with-in the same subnet as the Modem combo.

a) You only need the IP Address and the Subnet Mask (No Default Gateway/DNS Settings).

b) If the computer is picky (it will not let you setup a Static IP without a Default Gateway and DNS), just enter in the LAN IP of the modem combo to get it to be **** up.

#12 That wire that is connected to your computer that you disconnected at the last step, you connect to any other port of the device at step 3 but not the uplink port or the port right next to it OR to the port that is use by the WAN port of Linksys router.

#13 Tada, You can access the modem combo.

#14 But you can't access the Internet at the same time

#15 To access the Internet too:

a) Your computer must have at least two NICs and at least one has to be a wired NIC.

b) The Linksys router's LAN IP can't be with-in the same subnet as the modem combo.

c) You must know how to release and renew the IP Address on your computer, as need be.

d) You must know which NIC to setup the Static IP on.

e) You must get an ethernet wire if you have a wireless connection to the Linksys router.

---
aefstoggaflm

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

** Option three **

#1 Load third party firmware on to the Linksys router.

#2 I see that DD-WRT third party firwmare has support for the linksys e2500 router. Details at

»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/inde ··· ys_E2500

#3 In the third party firmware, you need to make sure that the LAN IP of the Linksys Router is not in the same subnet as the modem combo's LAN IP.

#4 As need be, change the LAN IP in the third party firmware if it's LAN IP in the same subnet as the modem combo's LAN IP.

#5 Then you may might to enter in special commands into the third party firmware.

If using you are DD-WRT, see the details at

»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/inde ··· guration

While I don't have PPPoE here, it works fine here on my other router that I have DD-WRT loaded on when it was handling my Static public IP.

-

The reason that I said
quote:
Then you may might to enter in special commands into the third party firmware
is because on my router running third party firmware, I have an option called Route Modem IP at the Connection Setup Screen.

Here is a sample screen shot.

Route Modem IP
aefstoggaflm

4 edits

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

Option four: As addressed in

»[modem/router] How to access 6100G's interface while connected?

If

#1 ..their RJ-45 WAN router is setup for PPPoE

#2 ..the modem combo LAN IP and their RJ-45 LAN IP are not in the same subnet.

As long as the PPPoE connection is down, they can access the modem combo.

Option five

Notice what the fix that is suggested by wayjac See Profile to fix the OP's issue

Direct Link to this fix »Re: [modem/router] How to access 6100G's interface while connect

Are options four and five true, you might ask.

I can not tell you it is because:

#1 I am not on PPPoE

#2 I have never tried (and or) noticed those things.

Option six are seven are addressed in »Re: Access to modem combo while in bridge mode

Please note: For option six, steps two and three are out of the correct order - as I said in reply to that user who posted that and then they admitted their error in the next reply.

Option eight - appears not to work with dsl modems.

For details, see »Re: Access to modem combo while in bridge mode

--