El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212

Re: Could Linux take off thanks to Windows 8?

said by me1212:

I think its gonna better than it was with vista. Speaking as someone who bought a computer with vista right after it was released, as bad as it was at least it still had the normal gui I could operate.

Vista before SP2 was nearly unuseable, it was so laggy it made my head spin, and I was running it on a Q6700 with 8GBs of RAM...

I haven't used Win8 (and don't intend on moving beyond Win7 for the forseeable future) but if Win8 has a foreign feeling GUI, and lag, Desktop Linux is going to have a once in a lifetime opportunity to make some big waves.
Razzy
join:2012-06-21

Razzy

said by El Quintron:

said by me1212:

I think its gonna better than it was with vista. Speaking as someone who bought a computer with vista right after it was released, as bad as it was at least it still had the normal gui I could operate.

Vista before SP2 was nearly unuseable, it was so laggy it made my head spin, and I was running it on a Q6700 with 8GBs of RAM...

I haven't used Win8 (and don't intend on moving beyond Win7 for the forseeable future) but if Win8 has a foreign feeling GUI, and lag, Desktop Linux is going to have a once in a lifetime opportunity to make some big waves.

Vista RTM ran perfect on my C2D 3.16ghz and 4GB (jumped to 8GB sometimes later). Better than XP did.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

said by me1212:

It is very similar to Unity and Gnome 3 (start screen), with more up-front social connectivity and very efficient mouse-keyboard usage to move around in the OS. Lag is nonexistent in both beta versions on a computer that is minimum spec for Windows 7. DirectX 11.1 will further enhance acceleration and "snappiness".

The OS itself, in a vacuum, is not a disaster. IMO, there are a few things happening:

1. It is the "every other OS" step to be hated. Some are jumping the band wagon before release for "cred".
2. Microsoft Store eliminated a non-pay release on ARM, hope was there to reduce cost on this small form factor OS (Google/Apple).
3. Integration into Metro to include the cost/time to perform it was ignored due to "classic desktop HAS to be included, right?" ignorance.
4. OpenGL sure does cost less than DirectX...

Ideologues pray for 4 being the reason. I happen to think populist supporting people, such as Gabe, are more focused on number 1. But, so what? Get those OpenGL optimizations/fixes upstream and foster Linux to be an acceptable gaming alternative OS.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212 to El Quintron

to El Quintron
I used vista no SP on a c2d e4300 + 2GB ram. horrid it was. Windows 8 forces you to use metro to start the old windows 7 like desktop and the metro menu replaced the start menu. Its supposed to be resource light, but if the users can't learn how to work it its not going to do well I pray linux takes advantage of this some how.

Dell is putting out an ultra book that comes with ubuntuon it, an ivy bridge mobile(still ht'd quad core) i7, and hd 4k. Not good for gaming, but its enough for l4d2 and minecraft and I believe wow. and for the first two enough to run a server on and play at the same time. I know nothing of running wow servers or if it can be done on a personal non blizzard box.

And theres a laptop that radio shack and some other places are gonna sell with a sandy bridge mobile i5 and a 6770m i believe. again, not good but enough for wow, minecraft, l4d2, and the servers. Plus the rest of the source games should follow in toe once the engine is ported.

While these are not high end laptops, they are still commercially sold(at least one in a nation wide store) that come with linux pre-installed.