join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
reply to Mgsports
Waste of electrons.

TriForce

join:2008-05-27
Chico, CA
reply to Mgsports
Sounds like another niche channel used in order to raise rates.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
reply to Mgsports
You all DID notice it is ONLY an on-demand (ie: not linear) channel.
Also, considering it's ALSO launching on Cox, DirecTV & DISH...tells me it must be pretty cheap for these providers; keeping in mind that only a fraction of the total DBS sub base has their receivers connected to the internet, which is needed for any OD prog.

Basically, another "filler" (ie: JUNK) channel that ONLY serves to pad a providers (total) channel count...of which it's not even going to matter to the majority of the sub base.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Mgsports
it would be nice for Comcast to pick up NASA TV... seems like that would get more viewers than half the channels we have today.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
they won't get nasa tv because they would have to negotiate for it.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to Mgsports
I wasn't even aware there was a Ski channel, now there's a Surf channel? I don't think this is going to be enticing for most people besides niche places like surf shops and surf themed eateries where they can have it playing in the background on monitors for ambiance, and resorts where surfing is king like coastal Australia, California, and Hawaii like how there's a dedicated Disney Theme Park channel in Orlando and Anaheim.

Mgsports

join:2004-11-11
Olathe, KS
Yes but that channel isn't on any cable system in Orlando.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
ah wasn't aware of that.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to Mike Wolf
It's only available at resort hotels or condos. I don't know about hotels around the resorts but I do know when I staid in the resort I could watch the 4 channels on disney world.

RalphKramden

join:2007-01-10
Newtown, PA
reply to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

they won't get nasa tv because they would have to negotiate for it.

Do you think that perhaps they have to negotiate for just about every channel they offer?

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

it would be nice for Comcast to pick up NASA TV... seems like that would get more viewers than half the channels we have today.

Houston Comcast carries NASA TV and they have carried it for years so ask your local Comcast division about it. Try to talk to someone with authority who has influence in making that kind of decision.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

I've wondered that myself for years. And their competitors carry
it out here. And to top it off, Adelphia had it, but of course we all know what happened there. Comcast came in and away went NASA TV.
So I am not to sure about negotiations between Comcast and NASA like another poster mentioned. We had it for years with Adelphia.

Do wish Comcast had it out here... I happen to like that channel from time to time. Especially when something big is happening, or just checking in to the ISS. Most of their educational stuff was good to as I recall.
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
I'd love to recieve NASA HD. The local college channel switches over to NASA Nightwatch between 12 midnight and 6am everyday, so I was able to watch the event.

theraven146

join:2012-07-25
reply to Mgsports
How the new channel fares among the rough sport loving mass is yet to be seen. A package with more sport channels and less travel and lifestyle channels would have made sense.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
an al-la-cart option would be even better, so people can choose what channels they do want and don't want.
Expand your moderator at work

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
reply to dishrich

Re: New Channel coming

it doesn't say ondemand at att. it mentions youtube channel

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
It DID earlier - look here:

»www.multichannel.com/article/488···nnel.php

Coming To VOD: The Surf Channel

Steve Bellamy, founder of The Tennis Channel and The Ski Channel, is launching on demand The Surf Channel next month with carriage in 20 million homes, he said today.

Bellamy said distribution deals are in place with cable firms Comcast and Cox Communications; satellite players DirecTV and Dish Network; Filmon.com and a preferred channel partnership with YouTube. Steve Bellamy
He said other distribution deals have been made and will be announced soon.

The Ski Channel, also a free to consumers VOD channel (for which there also is no affiliate fee), launched in late 2008 and is now in 45 million TV homes, according to Bellamy, who said the surf outlet was the same model as Ski Channel. The two outlets will share production facilities in Los Angeles and other assets.

As I (correctly) said earlier, just another (FREE) junk channel to pad channel counts...

marti
Color outside the lines
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-14
Houston, TX
kudos:5
reply to Mgsports
I have always had NASA TV here in Houston. I can't live without it right now, as they have Curiosity briefings each day.
--
Team Discovery

theraven146

join:2012-07-25
reply to Mike Wolf
You are right Mike Wolf. Freedom to chose what you want and drop the ones that you do not want is your right and no television company can deny that. Sometimes it is little things like these that will decide the worthiness of your package.

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
reply to Mgsports
What we need is a "Surf and Turf" channel. Oh wait, that's Food Network.