how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
kudos:2

Why Do 2 A/C Vents Throw Warmer Air Inside?

Annoying problem with my Chevy Venture minivan. The A/C blows cold air but regrettably only on the passenger side, the air blown in the vents in front of me (driver) is about 10 or 15 degrees warmer even though it blows good, what can it be?

mudchucker
Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy
Premium
join:2000-10-21
Blend door

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06

1 recommendation

reply to Xstar_Lumini
the venture minivans are very similar to the W bodies in a lot of respects, climate control being one of them, people mistakenly think its a blend door issue due to the dual zone climate (even if you dont have the controls there are 2 motors) but these cars when they have a small refrigerant leak will cool less on the drivers side compared to the passenger side. this is due to the 2 different plenums taking their air from a different part of the coil.

Xstar_Lumini

Canada
reply to Xstar_Lumini
Okay and how do I go about in fixing the problem and much money will this cost me at a shop?

P.S. my minivan does not have climate control or back air conditioner, its a 1998 and has 5 vents only at the front.

telco_mtl

said by Xstar_Lumini:

Okay and how do I go about in fixing the problem and much money will this cost me at a shop?

P.S. my minivan does not have climate control or back air conditioner, its a 1998 and has 5 vents only at the front.

my 97 grand prix didnt have dual zone either, but it had 2 blend doors as if it did. a proper shop in canada cant top it up with refrigerant without checking for a leak.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to Xstar_Lumini
Either stuck door or tubing came lose!

telco_mtl

said by The Pig:

i can tell you with 95% certainty after having owned one of these vehicules, the stuck door is a wild goose chase, its low on refrigerant.

jmacd27
Premium
join:2001-05-13
Toronto, ON
reply to Xstar_Lumini
Yep, low A/C refrigerant. I just fixed a Grand Prix with the same problem.

Xstar_Lumini

Canada
reply to Xstar_Lumini
The door cannot be stuck otherwise no air flow would come out, but how can it be low refrigerant when the other 2 vents throw cold air? Wouldn't they throw wsrm air too?

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
reply to telco_mtl
said by telco_mtl:

said by The Pig:

i can tell you with 95% certainty after having owned one of these vehicules, the stuck door is a wild goose chase, its low on refrigerant.

How can it be low if one side of the car is cold?
So the stuck door is out!
I still think it's the tube that carries the cold air to the vent came loose or fell off!

You're both right and wrong.

It IS a tube.

The tbe happens to carry vacuum tho.....
Very common occurance on the grand pricks.
It's usually due to newbie mechanics thinking that all door/duct functions are electric motor controlled.
Nope, GM still has it's head in the sand and still uses vacuum.

telco_mtl

1 edit
reply to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

The door cannot be stuck otherwise no air flow would come out, but how can it be low refrigerant when the other 2 vents throw cold air? Wouldn't they throw wsrm air too?

the right side vents pull the air from the right side of the coil, left side vents from the left side. its common occurance, the W body forums are full of info on this.

before you start digging and looking at vent doors and the like get an AC shop to put his guages on it to see if the pressure is right.

Xstar_Lumini

Canada
said by telco_mtl:

the right side vents pull the air from the right side of the coil, left side vents from the left side. its common occurance, the W body forums are full of info on this.

before you start digging and looking at vent doors and the like get an AC shop to put his guages on it to see if the pressure is right.

I will do this, try that first, thanks.

Xstar_Lumini

Canada

1 recommendation

reply to Xstar_Lumini
Click for full size
Lol!!! My AC blows cold air from ALL vents now! There was no visit to the shop or injection of freon either, it was all just a dumb and innocent screw up. The one that "fixed it" was the most clueless person about cars, my wife, I was complaining about the vents blowing warm air and that I did not have time to take off work to go fix the problem and she said "What's wrong with it?" and started pushing buttons and turning knobs.

Then suddenly she pushed the button in the picture above and it started blowing cold air from the vents that didn't since a month ago, I never paid attention to that button before because I never touch anything but someone that borrowed my car problably did. The orange light is supposed to be lit on the "air circulate" mode, not in the "air in" mode! Hahaha.

passer by

@embarqhsd.net
That's not the right answer. you still have a problem. That is just the "recirculate" button so that the blower just keeps moving the air around that's already in the van. The other button is the fresh air button. It pulls in fresh air from the outside. The heat or AC should function just fine on either setting - yet if our AC is not cooling well (e.g. from low refrigerant) it will cool better on recirc. Either way - you have not solved your problem.

Xstar_Lumini

Canada
Are you sure about this? Because the air is ice cold now and that's enough for me, I don't care where it comes from as long as it maintains me cool in hot humid traffick jams.

dMarks
Melting Faces For Fun
Premium
join:2007-02-09
Jackson, MI
What happens when you put it back to where it was (fresh air)? Is it still cold, or does it get warm on one side again? Thing is, you may have found a 'solution' to your situation, but it is only temporary if the problem comes back when the HVAC system is in a normal operation mode (recirculation mode isn't really a normal operation but it helps during long trips to save gas mileage when using the A/C...when you have only a passenger or two. More than that, you want to use fresh air setting. Trust me).

Not saying that your vehicle has a problem, but just save up a little and have the "issue" looked at soon. Will probably save you headaches later on.
--
Windows 7 64 Professional|AMD FX 8150|Asus Crosshair Formula V Motherboard|8GB G.Skill Sniper Series 1866 DDR3 RAM|EVGA GTX560 Ti (Fermi) DS SuperClocked x2|Corsair CMPSU 850HX 850w Modular|Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 Case

Xstar_Lumini

Canada
said by dMarks:

What happens when you put it back to where it was (fresh air)? Is it still cold, or does it get warm on one side again?

I don't know I haven't tried but I will try it tomorrow and post it here.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium

1 edit
reply to Xstar_Lumini
Oh Great!
Now my heater core is either broke or the door is stuck!
according to a shop they say that either fix will take 6 hours in labor to reach the door or the core!
Is there anyone who has nothing better to do for 6 hours?
The mechanic wants $890, around $850 is for labor the core is $40!

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
Dash removal.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to The Pig
said by The Pig:

Oh Great!
Now my heater core is either broke or the door is stuck!
according to a shop they say that either fix will take 6 hours in labor to reach the door or the core!
Is there anyone who has nothing better to do for 6 hours?
The mechanic wants $890, around $850 is for labor the core is $40!

What is the symptom? Only way I know of that a heater core can "break" is to develop a leak and with that, you would smell antifreeze.