join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

4 edits

1 recommendation

[WIN7+WIN8] Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center v1.1.500.0

Click for full size
Available on Windows Update and works with Windows 7 32/64-bit
DOWNLOADwww.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us···d-center or Windows Update.
It runs smoooooth as silk under Windows 7 64-bit, even if it is designed for Windows 8. I like it!
EDIT: I think this requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4. I can't be certain as I already have every version of .NET Framework installed anyways.

BS Du Bois

@sbcglobal.net

I downloaded the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center through Microsoft Update. I am able to customize my Wireless Laser Mouse 5000, however, I cannot find the link for the Wireless Keyboard 4000. I cannot find a support are for this software and I cannot customize my keyboard. Any suggestions?

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit OEM

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
reply to Dustyn

Does this replace the IntelliPoint software?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by Oregonian:

I'd like to know this too...
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to Oregonian

said by Oregonian:

Yes, it does.
When I went to Windows Update and downloaded both hardware updates, it first uninstalled the software along with any reference to the original IntelliPoint/IntelliType program directory. It then proceeded to install a Program Folder called "Microsoft Device Center". There, it contains both my mouse and keyboard. I looked into Sysinternals "AutoRuns" program and found new referenced "IntelliType Pro" and "IntelliPoint" startup locations are now referenced inside "Microsoft Device Center" in the "Programs Files" directory. All in all it was a smooth upgrade on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit. It retained my previous settings and found both my keyboard and mouse just as I had originally installed it. Although Microsoft Device Center (AKA: Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center) looks to me like the future replacement to the previous IntelliPoint/IntelliType software... that previous software is still available on Microsoft Hardware to download. It looks very much geared to Windows 8... and I don't see any reference to Windows 7 here... but Windows Update offered this update to me via Windows Update. It appears to work on both Windows 8+Windows 7 32-bit/64-bit.
EDIT: The update took at least 5min to install. You can setup and enable auto updates and enable/disable customer experience program just as with the previous edition.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

2 edits
reply to BS Du Bois

Windows Update

Windows Update
said by BS Du Bois :

I downloaded the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center through Microsoft Update. I am able to customize my Wireless Laser Mouse 5000, however, I cannot find the link for the Wireless Keyboard 4000. I cannot find a support are for this software and I cannot customize my keyboard. Any suggestions?

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit OEM

Sorry... anonymous replies do not trigger an IM alert to my account so I did not notice your reply right away. I'm not sure why your keyboard wasn't detected. The screen shot I provided in my original posting shows what Microsoft Device Center has detected. Being BOTH my USB IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 and my USB Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 v1.0. If I click the cut off keyboard as referenced in the screen shot it slides the mouse off the screen to show the keyboard and half hides the mouse.

EDIT: What I remember doing at the time of this installation upgrade was installing TWO updates from Windows Update. One for my keyboard and one for my mouse. Did you do the same? There should be TWO seperate hardware downloads. I did not install it from the alternate program link I provided in my original posting.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn

Thanks for the info Dustyn See Profile.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

said by Oregonian:

Thanks for the info Dustyn See Profile.

Hope it helped Oregonian See Profile.

BS Du Bois

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Oregonian

Yes, this replaces intellipoint and intellitype software packages. I searched for drivers for Win 7 Pro 64 bit, downloaded the intellitype software and attempted to install. I received an error message stating could not install Intellitype because to latest version is already installed. I am not impressed. I plan to purchase at least three (3) copies of Win 7 Professional 64 bit for future system builds. I am very happy with Win 7 and I am concerned Win 8 will be another Windows Me and Vista. Not ready for prime time and it will cause many compatibility and useability issues.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn

I wanted to add that I have a Microsoft Digital Media Pro Keyboard, and was running IntelliType Version 8.2 64-bit for Windows 7. I downloaded the install file directly from your link (did not do it from Windows Update, but it does show up there for me).

Installed it without any problems. The install did take about 5 mins as you said, and it works without any problems. Little different interface, but I like it! From what I can tell, all my settings were also migrated to the new application. The test will be when I re-build my OS and install this first, in regards to how easy it will be to setup. From what I have seen so far of the interface, it should not be hard at all.

said by Dustyn:

EDIT: I think this requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4. I can't be certain as I already have every version of .NET Framework installed anyways.

Yes it does. If you don't have it installed, it will install it for you during the install process. I verified this by going to Windows Update after I had installed the "Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center", as I wanted to verify that the USB Keyboard update that I was seeing there no longer showed up. What I saw was 8 important updates all related to .NET 4. I also noticed that "Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile" shows up in my list of installed programs with an install date of today.

This would explain why the install "took a long time" as it was probably installing .NET 4 first.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

I noticed you posted a thread that was locked up about the new Microsoft Device Center.

But I'm glad you took the time to post your experience with the installation and use of the software in this thread. Pretty much confirms what I said on how the install goes. You say that you downloaded the other hardware device drivers through Windows Update, but it did not trigger the install of Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center? That's interestingly odd at best. Perhaps when I installed the hardware updates from Windows Update it somehow triggered the IntelliType/IntelliMouse software to run it's own built in update mechanism, then proceeded to download the software after the device driver updates? It all happened in one smooth upgrade transition to Microsoft Device Center. The interface is pretty nice I must say! The only downside I had was the installation time it took. Although I have every version of .NET Framework installed with all the updates, I guess the length of time involved was due to the uninstall of IntelliPoint/IntelliType and the RE-configuration of .NET software.
--

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

Dustyn See Profile,

Let me try to clarify a few things, as it sounds like you are a bit confused.

First, I did post another thread about the New Microsoft Device Center. At the time, I did not know what it was, as the name was not very descriptive from Windows Update. All it said was "Microsoft - Other hardware - Microsoft Hardware USB Keyboard". It did not mention anything to do with Microsoft Device Center, or that it was going to replace the IntelliPoint / IntelliType software. That is why I posted a new thread about it. In that thread, I was directed to this one, so I requested that my thread be locked, to keep the discussion all in one place.

I noticed the install from Windows Update, but did not download it from there. I used the link that you had mentioned in your original post to download the setup file, and then ran the install from that.

Like you, I had the IntelliPoint/IntelliType software already installed, but I did not have .NET Version 4 installed. So, I think in my case, the added time was to uninstall the IntelliPoint / IntelliType software, then download (and install) .NET Version 4, and finally, install the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center.

And yes, I agree that I like the new software and its interface. I really like how they have a picture of the device (in my case, my keyboard) and I can click on the keys that are modifiable (My Documents, Mail, Web/Home, etc) and then decide what function they perform. It also did a great job in transferring my existing keyboard shortcuts to the new application, without me having to re-assign all my special keys.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn

Thanks. Mine looks a little different because only the keyboard module works with my hardware. My mouse is unsupported.

Hardware compatibility list

I installed the keyboard module via Windows Update. The Mouse module was not offered.

According to the above link, "If your device is not supported by Mouse and Keyboard Center software, use the Control Panel to uninstall it, and then reinstall the IntelliPoint/IntelliType Pro software. "
--
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

1 edit

Excellent resource for those who are wondering if their devices will work or not. Thanks for posting this jmorlan See Profile!
--

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to Dustyn

Click for full size
I did not notice it before when I installed it, but I wanted to point it out now.

Not sure what they are for, but once this is installed, I have 3 new scheduled tasks (see 1st picture).

Any idea what these do?

I also noticed the new reg keys (pic #2) located at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"

I know with the old intellipoint software, I had two similar reg keys (just pointing to a different directory). However, the scheduled tasks are new, and I am just trying to figure out what they are for, and what they do.

Thanks!

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

Do you have AutoUpdates enabled in the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center?

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

Click for full size
If you are referring to the settings under the privacy menu, then no, I don't have either one of them checked (See picture).

--Brian

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
reply to plencnerb

I'm not too sure what they are then, but I have them too.
I've just left them alone for the time being.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

In looking at the date/time of the last run for all three of them may give me a clue. Its about the time I install the software yesterday evening. If I look at the directory "Microsoft Device Center" it has a created date/time of "August 13, 2012, 5:02:40 PM". So, those 3 tasks were created (and all run) at the time of install.

I don't mind leaving them alone for now, was just trying to figure out what they do!

Thanks,

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn

Click for full size
Wanted to add that I also got the following Error event whenever I open the software. The message above is from last night, but I open the software just a few minutes ago, and now I have two of these events.

As far as I can tell, the software is working the way it is suppose to. All my special keys work on the keyboard without any problems or visual error messages. When I launch the application, I get no visual error messages on the screen, and the software itself seems to function normally.

--Brian

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

Nice.
You have the same error as I do.
It will only appear when you launch the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center. However the errors don't mean anything. I called Microsoft technical support about those errors and the guy told me it's because of a corrupted installation. It's not... it's something else. I bet if you were to follow this guys advice and re-install the program from scratch those errors would remain.

It's some kind of .NET Framework assembly error.
--

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

1 recommendation

You are correct. In my case, it was a clean install of the OS, as I rebuilt my PC on the 13th.

On a real high level, my install order up to that point was
1) Windows 7 Enterprise x64
2) Service Pack 1 for Windows 7
3) .NET Framework 4 (not from Windows Update, but from the Full install file that I had downloaded prior to rebuild)
4) Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center.

So, if a re-install was to fix it, then I would not have the error now would I? Gotta love Microsoft.

Like you said, the error does not mean anything, as everything works the way it should. However, it is bad coding on Microsoft's part if an error is being generated to begin with. But, I'm not going to let it bother me. I'm glad that I'm not the only one with the problem.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
reply to plencnerb

Click for full size
Yeah, I've got the same message... I can confirm the same error.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to Dustyn

I did some investigation into the three scheduled tasks that are created. Before I get into that, here is a bit of info on the application.

The main GUI process is called "devicecenter.exe". This is what is launched when you click on the shortcut "Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center", and where you can configure your special keys on your keyboard and mouse.

There are two other processes: "ipoint.exe" and "itype.exe". By default, both of these are set to run on startup of the computer via registry entries located at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" I don't know for sure, but I believe these two have something to do with the actual functionally of the on-screen display (in the case of the volume indicator), as well as the functionally of your special keyboard and mouse functions. Stop these, and those don't work.

So, where do the scheduled tasks come in? Well, I believe what is going on is when the software is first installed, instead of running the program directly when the install is completed, it appears that the scheduled tasks are created. If you notice, the trigger for all three of these is "At task creation / modification". So, once the install creates the task, it will perform whatever action has been defined for these tasks. In each case, its to run the exe's that I have noted above.

Its an interesting way to launch the program for the first time. However, there is a slight flaw in this. If you noticed, the tasks for ipoint and itype have a Last Run Result of 0x40010004. I did not research this error code fully, but what I did find out is that if you launch DeviceCenter.exe and you don't have ipoint.exe and itype.exe running, they will be started by DeviceCenter.exe. So, I'm thinking that when the install program created the two tasks to launch ipoint and itype for the first time (following the logic that was used for devicecenter), they really did not need to be created as they are already running (hence the non-zero last run result).

As I said, its an interesting way to launch the program for the first time, and it makes me wonder why Microsoft choose to do it this way. The only thing I can think of is that with these tasks in place, some kind of updated install could be run, which would then modify these scheduled tasks to cause the programs to re-start the applications. Not sure why you would not want to launch the application directly, but that appears what Microsoft is doing in this case.

Knowing that they would be created again on the re-install of the application, I'm going to go ahead and remove the tasks and see what happens. If there is an update to this application, and I go to run it and it fails, then I will know why!

I wonder if there is a way to contact Microsoft and ask them about this, and see what kind of reason they give.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

KeysCapt
FAQ Master
join:2001-07-11
Carson City, NV
kudos:1
reply to Dustyn

This just will not successfully run for me. I've tried multiple installs, run as admin. (W7/64 updated). It installs, removes the existing intellitype apps, but fails during start. Event viewer shows an unhandled exception for DeviceCenter.exe ... MS .NET Framework 4 is installed.
No idea ..

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

KeysCapt,

Not sure if you did this yet, but did you verify that your mouse and/or keyboard is supported per the Hardware compatibility list that jmorlan See Profile posted?

--Brian

KeysCapt
FAQ Master
join:2001-07-11
Carson City, NV
kudos:1

Yes sir, sure did.

sludgehound

join:2007-03-12
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn

Try it the other day when showed up at MS Update list. Had to uninstall Intellimouse sw for kb mouse. Win 7 x64 Ultimate. Made desktop icon from start menu listing. Nice that settings for Natural 7000 set were saved. Ton of programmed keys & clicks.
But for whatever reason I just didn't like it and did a rollback.
Not looking for Win 8 unless start reading better reviews for desktop user. And just read a U.K. review that knocked IE 10 under W 8 for crashing a lot in RTM. Ugh, like I need that. Maybe in 6 months when desktop tweaks available, IE 10 kosher and read that my trading platforms work ok with Win 8. Good to see MS putting out timely updates. Noticed fair sized mobo drivers at Gigabyte site for board LAN, audio, Intel, etc. Guess do them after fresh or upgrade of 7 to 8. Maybe h/w be even better? But for now nah.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to KeysCapt

I figured you did, but just wanted to verify.

Not sure what else to have you try, as it seems you have tried everything. Maybe Dustyn can come up with a suggestion.

--Brian

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
reply to KeysCapt

Sorry to hear about this.
What model of mouse and keyboard are you using?
Have you tried installing in safe mode?