Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to plencnerb

Re: [WIN7+WIN8] Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center v1.1.500.0

Nice.
You have the same error as I do.
It will only appear when you launch the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center. However the errors don't mean anything. I called Microsoft technical support about those errors and the guy told me it's because of a corrupted installation. It's not... it's something else. I bet if you were to follow this guys advice and re-install the program from scratch those errors would remain.

It's some kind of .NET Framework assembly error.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

You are correct. In my case, it was a clean install of the OS, as I rebuilt my PC on the 13th.

On a real high level, my install order up to that point was
1) Windows 7 Enterprise x64
2) Service Pack 1 for Windows 7
3) .NET Framework 4 (not from Windows Update, but from the Full install file that I had downloaded prior to rebuild)
4) Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center.

So, if a re-install was to fix it, then I would not have the error now would I? Gotta love Microsoft.

Like you said, the error does not mean anything, as everything works the way it should. However, it is bad coding on Microsoft's part if an error is being generated to begin with. But, I'm not going to let it bother me. I'm glad that I'm not the only one with the problem.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
reply to plencnerb
Click for full size
Yeah, I've got the same message... I can confirm the same error.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to Dustyn
I did some investigation into the three scheduled tasks that are created. Before I get into that, here is a bit of info on the application.

The main GUI process is called "devicecenter.exe". This is what is launched when you click on the shortcut "Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center", and where you can configure your special keys on your keyboard and mouse.

There are two other processes: "ipoint.exe" and "itype.exe". By default, both of these are set to run on startup of the computer via registry entries located at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" I don't know for sure, but I believe these two have something to do with the actual functionally of the on-screen display (in the case of the volume indicator), as well as the functionally of your special keyboard and mouse functions. Stop these, and those don't work.

So, where do the scheduled tasks come in? Well, I believe what is going on is when the software is first installed, instead of running the program directly when the install is completed, it appears that the scheduled tasks are created. If you notice, the trigger for all three of these is "At task creation / modification". So, once the install creates the task, it will perform whatever action has been defined for these tasks. In each case, its to run the exe's that I have noted above.

Its an interesting way to launch the program for the first time. However, there is a slight flaw in this. If you noticed, the tasks for ipoint and itype have a Last Run Result of 0x40010004. I did not research this error code fully, but what I did find out is that if you launch DeviceCenter.exe and you don't have ipoint.exe and itype.exe running, they will be started by DeviceCenter.exe. So, I'm thinking that when the install program created the two tasks to launch ipoint and itype for the first time (following the logic that was used for devicecenter), they really did not need to be created as they are already running (hence the non-zero last run result).

As I said, its an interesting way to launch the program for the first time, and it makes me wonder why Microsoft choose to do it this way. The only thing I can think of is that with these tasks in place, some kind of updated install could be run, which would then modify these scheduled tasks to cause the programs to re-start the applications. Not sure why you would not want to launch the application directly, but that appears what Microsoft is doing in this case.

Knowing that they would be created again on the re-install of the application, I'm going to go ahead and remove the tasks and see what happens. If there is an update to this application, and I go to run it and it fails, then I will know why!

I wonder if there is a way to contact Microsoft and ask them about this, and see what kind of reason they give.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

KeysCapt
FAQ Master
join:2001-07-11
Carson City, NV
kudos:1
reply to Dustyn
This just will not successfully run for me. I've tried multiple installs, run as admin. (W7/64 updated). It installs, removes the existing intellitype apps, but fails during start. Event viewer shows an unhandled exception for DeviceCenter.exe ... MS .NET Framework 4 is installed.
No idea ..

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
KeysCapt,

Not sure if you did this yet, but did you verify that your mouse and/or keyboard is supported per the Hardware compatibility list that jmorlan See Profile posted?

--Brian

KeysCapt
FAQ Master
Carson City, NV
Yes sir, sure did.

sludgehound

join:2007-03-12
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn
Try it the other day when showed up at MS Update list. Had to uninstall Intellimouse sw for kb mouse. Win 7 x64 Ultimate. Made desktop icon from start menu listing. Nice that settings for Natural 7000 set were saved. Ton of programmed keys & clicks.
But for whatever reason I just didn't like it and did a rollback.
Not looking for Win 8 unless start reading better reviews for desktop user. And just read a U.K. review that knocked IE 10 under W 8 for crashing a lot in RTM. Ugh, like I need that. Maybe in 6 months when desktop tweaks available, IE 10 kosher and read that my trading platforms work ok with Win 8. Good to see MS putting out timely updates. Noticed fair sized mobo drivers at Gigabyte site for board LAN, audio, Intel, etc. Guess do them after fresh or upgrade of 7 to 8. Maybe h/w be even better? But for now nah.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to KeysCapt
I figured you did, but just wanted to verify.

Not sure what else to have you try, as it seems you have tried everything. Maybe Dustyn can come up with a suggestion.

--Brian

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
reply to KeysCapt
Sorry to hear about this.
What model of mouse and keyboard are you using?
Have you tried installing in safe mode?

KeysCapt
FAQ Master
Carson City, NV
It's the MS Wireless Elite Keyboard, the mouse isn't on the list. I'm just trying to get the keyboard to work with it.
Safe mode ... you mean installing the software in safe mode? Haven't done that, doesn't (respectfully) make a lot of sense to me.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn
I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to update it, as there appears to be a newer version of the software out now.

I was rebuilding my main desktop (Windows 7 Enterprise x64). In the process, I always install my drivers first before going to windows update.

However, I noticed there was one that was published today called "Microsoft - Other hardware - Microsoft Hardware USB Keyboard" . In looking at the details, it looks like it was released in September.

I did the download, and noticed that my version of Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center went from Version 1.1.500.0 to 2.0.161.0 (see screen shot).

However, I'm not able to yet locate the actual install for this version. The main page for the download, located at the URL below, is still showing the older versions for both 32 bit and 64 bit installs (MouseKeyboardCenter_64bit_ENG_1.1.500.exe and MouseKeyboardCenter_32bit_ENG_1.1.500.exe)

»www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us···d-center

Since the install was done via Windows Update, I did find the following exe in my temp folder: "MouseKeyboardCenterx64_1033.exe". It appears that this is the newer version of the program.

However, I would like to verify that, so if someone could find it posted on Microsoft's webpage, that would be great. I just hate to rebuild my system, think I have the current drivers, only to find out there is an update. I would rather install them myself then use Windows Update.

Thanks!

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
I don't have an answer to your question as I have had no luck finding the updated redistributable. I do however see the new Windows Update offerings for this program on my Windows 7 64-bit rig. Thanks for updating this thread and letting people know! I may decide to take the Windows Update route of installing this update just as I did previously as it worked out well. Tell me, do you have any of those strange Event Viewer Errors that we discussed previously in this thread with this new updated version?
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
Click for full size
Still errors out
Not a problem to update the thread.

If you want the actual EXE that I used (MouseKeyboardCenterx64_1033.exe) its 48 MB in size. We can probably figure out a way to get it to you somehow.

However, I don't see a problem using Windows Update, as I used that first and all seemed well.

In answer to your question, the screen shot above is the same error running the updated version. I get it every time I launch the application. So, its still broke!

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

1 edit
reply to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

»www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us···d-center

Since the install was done via Windows Update, I did find the following exe in my temp folder: "MouseKeyboardCenterx64_1033.exe". It appears that this is the newer version of the program.

However, I would like to verify that, so if someone could find it posted on Microsoft's webpage, that would be great. I just hate to rebuild my system, think I have the current drivers, only to find out there is an update. I would rather install them myself then use Windows Update.

Thanks!

--Brian

It's up on their servers now. Re-check that link.
hxxp://download.microsoft.com/download/A/4/8/A4813641-9813-4738-B1B3-63E305660E75/MouseKeyboardCenter_64bit_ENG_2.0.161.exe
--

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

1 edit
reply to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

In answer to your question, the screen shot above is the same error running the updated version. I get it every time I launch the application. So, its still broke!

--Brian

It would appear these error messages has in fact disappeared after using the FULL installer. After launching it and closing it a few times... I see no errors being recorded in Event Viewer. Perhaps it has something to do with this new Kernel-Mode Driver Framework update being installed along side it?
EDIT: As a side note, I performed a FULL uninstall of the prior release before updating to the new version via the redistributable.
--

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
I'm at my girlfriends place so I'll check this out when I get home and update the other thread if it also fixes my problem.

Thanks for the update.

--Brian

DarrenMB

@acanac.net
I have yet to find any useful function from this "Mouse Keyboard Center" software. If you kill the processes it does NOTHING (except remove some unless popup messages from your system tray, honestly I don't care if my computer tells me my "mouse is ready to use now", it's redundant and obvious).

In the Uninstall this message appears. It's almost comical as to the uselessness of the software...
You are about to uninstall the Mouse and Keyboard Center software on this system.
This also removes the Healthy Compouting Guide, which provides information on how to work on your computer more comfortably.
Was the "guide" the main purpose of it?

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
said by DarrenMB :

I have yet to find any useful function from this "Mouse Keyboard Center" software. If you kill the processes it does NOTHING (except remove some unless popup messages from your system tray, honestly I don't care if my computer tells me my "mouse is ready to use now", it's redundant and obvious).

In the Uninstall this message appears. It's almost comical as to the uselessness of the software...

You are about to uninstall the Mouse and Keyboard Center software on this system.
This also removes the Healthy Compouting Guide, which provides information on how to work on your computer more comfortably.
Was the "guide" the main purpose of it?

Yes. It perhaps is overkill if you are using a standard cheap mouse that has no customization options. The same can be said about Logitech's IPoint or whatever they are calling it now. This is a application that helps you make the most out of your Microsoft keyboard and mouse. Customize devices from an easy-to-learn the Windows 8 interface. Create new shortcuts that make tedious tasks a breeze. Mouse and Keyboard Center helps you personalize and customize how you work on your PC, tailor your mouse and keyboard to meet your unique needs and work style. Modify your mouse and keyboard settings to make it easier to use the unique features of most PC apps. Effortlessly transition to Mouse and Keyboard Center from existing device management apps. Launch the app from the Windows 8 Start screen. View and change basic and application-specific settings for all connected devices in one place. Explore features with pop-up descriptive and "how-to" InfoTips. Includes access to an online How-To/Troubleshooting library. Includes access to an online Healthy Computing Guide for tips on how to work more comfortably on your computer.

This thread is a little outdated. More up to date thread here: »[WIN7+WIN8] Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center v2.0.161.0
--