All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35 to cb35

Anon

to cb35

Re: [Speed] Northeast speed changes coming.

20Mbps is the limit for Wireless G so if you are using that or an old router in general you wont get faster speeds EVER.

You will need a newer router to ever get faster speeds (as well as wireless card in your laptop as that will be the limit if it's still a G card).
cb35
join:2011-10-28
Peabody, MA

cb35

said by SHoTTa35 :

20Mbps is the limit for Wireless G so if you are using that or an old router in general you wont get faster speeds EVER.

You will need a newer router to ever get faster speeds (as well as wireless card in your laptop as that will be the limit if it's still a G card).

said by Mike Wolf:

said by cb35:

boston area - have the motorola 6121 box getting good d/l speeds 60-80MB off peak with Blast! when wired but it seems my linksys modem is limiting my wireless speed to 20MB - anyone know how to fix that?

if you mean linksys router, it would depend on what router it is, if its a G router like the WRT54G then the only answer would be a replacement router such as something that supports N.

thanks to you both - obvious answer - I need a new wireless router - looks like I'll start to research those - my research suggests my current wireless card should be fine with the higher speeds Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6200. appreciate the help
karmaghost
join:2005-01-14
State College, PA

karmaghost to SHoTTa35

to SHoTTa35
said by SHoTTa35 :

Technically, the theoretical limit for 802.11g is 54 Mbps, but depending on a variety of factors (including distance from the router and objects obstructing the signal), the actual speeds you get can vary a little or a lot. Switching to a router that supports 802.11n ( (and a device that supports it) can help, but you will probably still encounter speeds that are slower than your max potential speed.

As an example, I had Blast! so my upgrade brought me to 50 Mbps. On my wired desktop, I got results around 54 Mbps on Speedtest.net, but on my wife's Macbook Pro in the living room on 802.11n, I maxed out around 45 Mbps. Still very fast, but not the full potential realized.
ThurstonX
join:2003-11-22
Locust Grove, VA

ThurstonX

I'm in central VA, got the notice earlier this week, rebooted my new Motorola SB6121 and my Trendnet TEW-633GR ('N') router, and immediately saw 53+/10+ Mbps on both my laptops. I've got Blast! Internet, so that basically doubled it, as advertised.

The weird thing is my wired PC (Core i5 with built-in dual Realtek 8111E gigE NICs on the ASRock P67 Extreme6 mobo) is throttled at 25 Mbps down, but gets the full 10+ Mbps up. Even my old P-4 2.4 GHz PC running WinXP Pro and a seriously out-dated D-Link gigE NIC gets 38/10 Mbps down/up after tweaking. Damn strange problem I'm just beginning to research.

Anyway, I'm glad Comcast responded to the competition

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to cb35

to cb35
I've used the Intel 6200 card, works wonders! Max speed is 300Mbps. Do you wanna stick with Linksys or move to a different brand?

Good luck with your search and if you want any help let us know in a thread :P