share rss forum feed

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Last Parade

Re: [Rant] Backyard bonfires/fireplaces idiocy

We passed through Port Colborne yesterday on our way back from St. Catharines (QEW was a madhouse, 406/58 was better) and while I tried to keep a "nose" out for smoke, I didn't detect any.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by Gone:

We passed through Port Colborne yesterday on our way back from St. Catharines (QEW was a madhouse, 406/58 was better) and while I tried to keep a "nose" out for smoke, I didn't detect any.

Yesterday morning, around 6-7am, if you drove up 58 (Welland County West Side Highway section), just before Forks Rd you'd see what appeared to be a short wall of fog stretching in front of you. Your sense of smell would immediately betray that this was not fog, though. Coming back from St. Catharines, the smoke had taken up the man-made über-trench of the Trillium Railway and Townline Tunnel. It had shifted southward in the next hour and I'm not sure where it's at now.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

We travelled from the man-made trench of the Trillium Railway down into Dain City and then across the rec canal via Forks to Elm which we used to head into Port Colborne. I made a point of rolling down the window to see if there was any smoke. There was not.

Last Parade

Port Colborne, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by Gone:

We travelled from the man-made trench of the Trillium Railway down into Dain City and then across the rec canal via Forks to Elm which we used to head into Port Colborne. I made a point of rolling down the window to see if there was any smoke. There was not.

Alas, this morning at the same time, southwest Welland was blanketed in smoke. Just south, it turns to fog.

Last Parade

Port Colborne, ON
reply to Gone

»www.wellandtribune.ca/2012/08/07···-animals

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Ormond Beach, FL
reply to Last Parade

said by Last Parade:

Alas, this morning at the same time, southwest Welland was blanketed in smoke. Just south, it turns to fog.

fascinating

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Last Parade

Smelt something burning out in Ridgeway this evening and the smell followed us all the way to Crescent Park. Supposed to get more westerly winds tomorrow so it'll be interesting to see how far the cloud goes.

QWE111

@teksavvy.com

said by Gone:

Smelt something burning out in Ridgeway this evening and the smell followed us all the way to Crescent Park. Supposed to get more westerly winds tomorrow so it'll be interesting to see how far the cloud goes.

I could smell it yesterday, just a wee bit north of Ridgeway. Not at all today though.

Apparently the MNR is on the way now: »www.wellandtribune.ca/2012/08/09···und-fire

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
reply to Thane_Bitter

So I read the London fire bylaw, it's the weakest I've ever read.
»www.london.ca/Fire_Dept/Fire_Saf···ning.pdf
Reads kind of like a fire etiquette guide at times. Funny even. One of the few rules is, no fires when it's rainy.
The very last line is good, it notes that burning yard waste is a violation.
Try this link for info on reporting it.
»www.london.ca/d.aspx?s=/Planning···aint.htm
Bylaw enforcement phone number and email option too.