spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

plumbington

@videotron.ca

Videotron vs Bittorrent??!!

Has Videotron started disrupting bittorrent streams. I'm finding, for the first time every, that they are cutting all bittorrent streams every 90-120 seconds. So downloads seem to work to start, but then have to restart almost from scratch every couple of mins. I've tested multiple machines directly connected to the cable modem (ie no router) with the same results.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

TIA

P

turbotan

@distributel.net
yes, I noticed it a few days ago.

chosebine

@videotron.ca
reply to plumbington
it it a legit torrent? I ask because some torrent are "tainted" by some entreprise who try to disrupt it by fidling with the protocol, Can you try with I linux distro for example and vefify if you have the same problem.

TH47

join:2005-10-29
reply to plumbington
Also, do you download a lot? Do you often go over your limits?

Lebon14

join:2009-08-05
Canada
reply to plumbington
Weird.
I never had any problems with torrents. But I did heard of a troll company that indeed disrupts torrent connection on demand of rights holders. Let me the TorrentFreak link...

There : »torrentfreak.com/microsoft-funde···-120513/
The company is called "Pirate Pay" (what a bad pun). I believe that they practice what we call "torrent poisoning". See Wikipedia :
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torrent_poisoning

I guess that what we get from downloading "popular" content.
--
Eurobeat and B'z forever.

plumbington

@videotron.ca
Humm... After further checking, it seems to only be a single torrent (the latest Mountain Lion installer app.). Other torrents seem to work normally. Sorry Videotron, it doesn't look like it is your fault.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to Lebon14
said by Lebon14:

I believe that they practice what we call "torrent poisoning".

The principle behind poisoning applies to all P2P networks where one incrementally verifiable data block can be sourced from multiple peers, which is the case with nearly all protocols. eD2k, kazaa, gnutella, napster, etc. all had their fair share of poisoning attacks at one point or another too.

Rambytes

join:2006-05-27
Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu, QC
reply to plumbington
No problem here for my torrent (legal one)...

Cesco
Electronic Box toddler
Premium
join:2009-01-28
Montreal, QC
reply to plumbington
Mountain Lion? Good god man, 20$!!

GalenWeston

@rogers.com
reply to plumbington
Its not that you fools, it is being shut down.

It is happenning with varied torrents, varied times.

The internet connections shuts off during download and pc reset is neccesary or the actual show you are watching freezes after the download..... this is a real issue.

GuiGQc

join:2012-02-22
Gatineau, QC
Hi Mr. President's Choice!