Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

1 edit

Subaru

Premium Member

I was passing a AM station...

It was 990 Khz in Southington, CT

Anyways why I'm asking is the Stations call letters on the building is listed as WNTY but yet when searching I'm seeing WXCT..

Also at the time I was listening it was talk but in English..

Also about when I got on I-84 West the signal started to fade which I thought it would of lasted a lot move given the power output during the daytime vs night.

»www.hartfordradiohistory ··· TY_.html

»goo.gl/maps/n4uPx
n4bkn
join:2003-12-11
Memphis, TN

n4bkn

Since the studio is at 806 W Queen St, Southington, CT 06489 (5.1 miles away), I'm not surprised that the transmitter site's callsign isn't current. Replacing the letters is up to station management, and I don't mean the chief engineer. Sure, it's been nine years since the change...

In the FCC database:
»transition.fcc.gov/fcc-b ··· W&size=9

There's a link to their DA (directional Antenna) pattern, it's your textbook cardioid aimed at the southeast, with nulls to the west and north.
n4bkn

n4bkn

And that's the night time pattern. The day time pattern is just the opposite, aimed northwest with nulls to the south and east. Two patterns, since they're DA2.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to n4bkn

Premium Member

to n4bkn
wow the search I did this morning showed me nothing like that maybe I was under the wrong search (station lookup)

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium Member
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL

1 recommendation

SmokChsr to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
Interesting patterns, 80W to the South East at night, and 2,500W to the North West during the day. Thus depending on when you past it and which direction you were from it, yes that one can fade really fast.

As for the call sign advertisement at the transmitter, it's not uncommon for those to be out of date by one or more set's of call letters. In today's world of radio often times management doesn't even know where the transmitter is, it's just some magical place somewhere that the engineer goes to not be seen.

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected to Subaru

Anon

to Subaru
Interesting blast from the recent past.. I worked for them about 1998 as a contract engineer. Place was in poor repair at that time, as was the case with many marginally profitable regional AMs, before the trend of leasing tower space to cell sites became in vogue.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to SmokChsr

Premium Member

to SmokChsr
said by SmokChsr:

In today's world of radio often times management doesn't even know where the transmitter is, it's just some magical place somewhere that the engineer goes to not be seen.

I have spent a LOT of time on many a mountain top...