spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

surge

join:2008-01-08
Bancroft, ON

[TV] CTV Ottawa No Longer Available???????

I had a recent promotion expire, and then switched over to Bell's 'Better' programming package. I am happy with the package except that being in the Ottawa Valley area, I am forced to watch the CTV feeds from Toronto (HD 1051 & SD 212). Before I switched I was able to receive the CTV feeds from Ottawa (229 and 209). I went away on holidays before the switch was complete and when I returned last night I noticed that the Ottawa stations are no longer on my guide. I called tech support to see if this was just an over site or another technical issue or to see if it was part of the Time shifting (which I did not subscribe to). It turns out that CTV Ottawa stations are no longer available anywhere in Bell's new programming options. This baffled the people in the Loyalty department as well as the guy and supervisor at the tech support.
I am not even allowed to swap CTV Toronto for CTV Ottawa. No offense to the people in Toronto and the viewers of CTV Toronto, but I like to see the news that is relevant to me and my community.

I was told the only way to get them back was to move back to my previous programming, and pay more than I am currently paying now. I was only offered a $5 discount by the loyalty Dept. (which I am already receiving). When I agreed to the switch, I was told that the only channels that I would be missing from my old programming was a couple of specialty channels like OWN.

It seems that Bell is moving to alienate all of Eastern Ontario in this exclusion of the Ottawa Stations. Ottawa is the Capital of Canada and should have their channels broadcast.

I check with Shaw Direct and those stations are part of their Essentials Package. I find it strange that CTV is shown on a competing provider and not shown on their own provider.

In the past, before they switched to a full broadcast of 229, they showed the Ottawa news on channel 198. Even that would be acceptable.

I have already contacted Customer Relations and the escalation Department

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
kudos:1

said by surge:

I had a recent promotion expire, and then switched over to Bell's 'Better' programming package. I am happy with the package except that being in the Ottawa Valley area, I am forced to watch the CTV feeds from Toronto (HD 1051 & SD 212). Before I switched I was able to receive the CTV feeds from Ottawa (229 and 209). I went away on holidays before the switch was complete and when I returned last night I noticed that the Ottawa stations are no longer on my guide. I called tech support to see if this was just an over site or another technical issue or to see if it was part of the Time shifting (which I did not subscribe to). It turns out that CTV Ottawa stations are no longer available anywhere in Bell's new programming options. This baffled the people in the Loyalty department as well as the guy and supervisor at the tech support.
I am not even allowed to swap CTV Toronto for CTV Ottawa. No offense to the people in Toronto and the viewers of CTV Toronto, but I like to see the news that is relevant to me and my community.

I was told the only way to get them back was to move back to my previous programming, and pay more than I am currently paying now. I was only offered a $5 discount by the loyalty Dept. (which I am already receiving). When I agreed to the switch, I was told that the only channels that I would be missing from my old programming was a couple of specialty channels like OWN.

It seems that Bell is moving to alienate all of Eastern Ontario in this exclusion of the Ottawa Stations. Ottawa is the Capital of Canada and should have their channels broadcast.

I check with Shaw Direct and those stations are part of their Essentials Package. I find it strange that CTV is shown on a competing provider and not shown on their own provider.

In the past, before they switched to a full broadcast of 229, they showed the Ottawa news on channel 198. Even that would be acceptable.

What is this place called Ottawa you speak of? Surely it can't be more than a couple of thousand people? You should want the Toronto feeds as Toronto is the center of the Canadian Universe.
(tongue in cheek)

..... but seriously....

are we talking about Bell TV (satellite) or FibeTV (iptv)?
--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to surge

I prefer the Toronto feed and frankly i don't even know why Ottawa even has a feed.

surge

Bancroft, ON
reply to surge

It is on the satellite. The feed for the actual network shows doesn't vary at all. It is basically the news that is important to me.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe

1 edit
reply to surge

If I lived in Ottawa I would want the local feed...perhaps when the TV/Satellite/Cable providers change the line up as per the CRTC decision to allow more variety/choice then perhaps you will regain your Ottawa feed. I don't know when it will take effect but I understand the choices will change to "what you want" and not "what they want to force upon you". However the providers have said each individual channel will be more expensive when you choose a smaller number of them...we will see what happens.

edit: Article from the Globe and Mail
»www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in···4429819/
--
My Canada includes Quebec.
Disclaimer: If I express an opinion, it is my own opinion, not that of Bell or its related companies.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to surge

You know one of the reasons why I stick with cable is because they always offer the local stations. Though I am not overly surprised that Bell TV leaves out CTV-SWO-Kitchener I am surprised it would leave out Ottawa. Bell could make a killing but they lost pretty much all of the customers around here because no local stations. (no weather network, no CTV (except Toronto) no nothing) Bell is worthless unless you're from outside Toronto AND outside Ontario.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

rogerssmoger

@start.ca
reply to surge

said by surge:

Not sure what you are going on about, I just turned to 229 and 209 and it's CTV Ottawa and CTV Ottawa 2 per normal.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to surge

Did you reboot your receiver? That sometimes returns "lost" channels. I have 209 and 229 on my receiver here.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

surge

Bancroft, ON
reply to rogerssmoger

Have you migrated over to the 'New" Programming options that Bell released in Feb or March? Apparently that is where the problem lies, It is with the new packages/bundles of 'Good, Better and Best. When they created those new plans they didn't include the Ottawa stations. My Parents who are still on the old Theme plan still have the Ottawa stations.

surge

Bancroft, ON
reply to surge

So... I had a call in response to my letter that I wrote to the Customer Relations. The man on the phone explained it this way. If I lived in Ottawa & Valley area then I would get the Ottawa stations. But as I live in the Kingston/Peterborough area as defined by the CRTC and Federal Government, then I get the 'Local' stations from Toronto. As I am actually slightly closer to the Ottawa area he was able to manually switch me into the area which receives the Ottawa Local channels. I miss out on the Local feeds from Toronto, but only in SD, the HD feeds remain the same.

glussier

join:2002-11-12
Montreal, QC
reply to surge

Timeshifting should be available for free for canadian channels. At least it's was is said on my Bell tv account.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

said by glussier:

Timeshifting should be available for free for canadian channels. At least it's was is said on my Bell tv account.

Listen, I got a great deal on a used car, very low mileage, driven by an old lady to church on Sundays. Yes I realize it's a BMW M3, there is no speaking for the woman's taste.

Perfect shape, trust me, I wouldn't lie.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to surge

said by surge:

I was only offered a $5 discount by the loyalty Dept. (which I am already receiving).

That's their standard "first offer" lately. I turned it down, and put in my cancellation. Got a call back a week later for 30% off instead.