share rss forum feed

Premium
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:3
reply to SmokChsr

Re: Surge Protection Residential Whole House

said by SmokChsr:

Close, but not exactly what it said. The rods of the single system can't be less than 6' apart, preferably they should be 8'-12' apart. You had stated earlier that the inspector made you space them 5' apart, which didn't meet code.

250.56 Resistance of Rod, Pipe, and Plate Electrodes.
A single electrode consisting of a rod, pipe, or plate that does not have a resistance to ground of 25 ohms or less shall be augmented by one additional electrode of any of the types specified by 250.52(A)(2) through (A)(7). Where multiple rod, pipe, or plate electrodes are installed to meet the requirements of this section, they shall not be less than 1.8 m (6 ft) apart.

When it comes to misinterpreting the code some AHJ’s are the best

Wayne
--
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change ready…

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas
reply to robbin

said by robbin:

You can't drill a hole for a ground rod. They must be driven. The reason I went with GEM in a hole as opposed to a trench is than in summer the limestone dries out. I wanted to try to get contact with an area which may retain some moisture. The Bobcat was able to drill a 6" hole. Most everything and everyone else could only drill minimum of 9".

No doubt your point is: if you drill a hole thru solid rock you aren't going to get any grounding benefit. I was hoping for SOME grounding benefit in that the rock here is a mix of granite and caliche.

But it might be a whole lot of trouble for a very-little-or-no benefit so thanks for turning me off to drilling.

I guess I should rent the Bobcat and plant a rod w/GEM as close as I can get it, then couple to the building service with #6 or bigger.

Premium
Fort Lauderdale, FL

said by laserfan:

I guess I should rent the Bobcat and plant a rod w/GEM as close as I can get it, then couple to the building service with #6 or bigger.

Do you plan to bond the sub buildings ground to the pole ground?

If so how are you going to get the wire from the sub building to the pole?

Wayne
--

laserfan

Texas

Just a shallow trench.

Premium
Fort Lauderdale, FL

said by laserfan:

Just a shallow trench.

Then drop a bare conductor in there and backfill it with some GEM and there's your ground for the sub building.

Wayne
--

laserfan

Texas

Bare conductor...more GEM...hmm, that makes too much sense! Thanks!

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL

I don't know about the costs, but there is also "conductive" concrete that is often poured in trenches to create a ground in rock. They use this mostly on mountain tops where it's solid rock. They say it's pretty darn good, though I've never had any experience with it myself. I'm a Florida boy, What's a rock??

Premium
Fort Lauderdale, FL

said by SmokChsr:

I'm a Florida boy, What's a rock??

A rock is what you bruise your foot with when younger by steeping on and when older by dropping them.

Though as another Florida boy I must admit excepting the female form, everything else down here is flat as a pancake.

Wayne
--