join:2002-11-11
Canada

KingOfPants

Premium Member

Can I build this myself for cheaper?

Hey
Thinking about buying a gaming PC.
Looking at this one. »www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/ ··· 9ba2en02

Though would I be able to build it for cheaper? I went on newegg.ca but not really sure what mother board, power supply, fans, etc I would need.

Any help on a build or better places to use my money would be appreciated.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Oh hell yes. Give me a bit and I'll match the build for you.
Krisnatharok

2 recommendations

Krisnatharok to KingOfPants

Premium Member

to KingOfPants
• Operating system: Windows 7 Home OEM 64 bit - $105
• Optical drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X - $20
• Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $110 (the WD Caviar Black is $60 more)
• Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL - $44
• CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K - $235
• Mobo: ASRock Z77 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - $130
• PSU: Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-550 550W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified, Modular Design, Single +12V Rail, ATX12V v2.31/EPS12V v2.92, SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready, Active-PFC Power Supply - $70
• Computer Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $55
• Graphics Card: PowerColor AX7850 2GBD5-2DH Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - $230 ($250 before $20USD rebate)

Total: $999

Then add your favorite keyboard/mouse.

KingOfPants
Premium Member
Canada

KingOfPants

Premium Member

Ahh that is perfect, above and beyond what I wanted help wise.
Much thanks Krisnatharok.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to KingOfPants

Premium Member

to KingOfPants
You can get the CPU on Amazon for 15 dollar cheaper 219.99...

»www.amazon.com/Intel-Cor ··· i5+3570k

I got mine for 215.00 a little over a week ago.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

He's in Canada, so it'd have to be from amazon.ca

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

Ah, didn't notice that
spade
join:2012-02-17
Clovis, CA

spade to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
You seem to be knowledgable, may i ask your recommendations on best am3+ motherboard? stipulations: must have 4 ddr3 ram slots, and exclude built in video (sound is ok)
IF possible, two pcie, but one is just fine. By best, i mean known good quality and meets feature list, does not necessarily have to be top-of line. (ie: expensive for no reason)
thanks!

My situation is that i have everything i need, but am running an older core2duo/motherboard system. Memory, peripherals, dvd/blu ray drive radeonHD 6850, are all taken care of and can be swapped into new barebones selection. Am basically after cheapest upgrade route for a little more zing and faster gaming load/opening.
And i hope i phrased this correctly!

KingOfPants
Premium Member
Canada

KingOfPants to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

He's in Canada, so it'd have to be from amazon.ca

Ya, in Canada. Newegg.ca includes any brokerage and duties in their prices I believe. If I ordered from Amazon, they may not include it and I'll be hit with a ridicules duty charge by the carrier.

Now just have to work up the courage to hit "purchase."

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to spade

Premium Member

to spade
Have you already purchased the AM3+ processor? If not, the FX-4100 or FX-4170 would do well.

You could probably get the equivalent performance out of an Ivy Bridge i3 (model number 3000s) for the same price or cheaper.

An example of a good AM3+ board that meets your specifications is this Asrock: »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 13157266

As would this Asus (has UEFI as well): »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 13131754
spade
join:2012-02-17
Clovis, CA

spade

Thank you, those ideas fit the bill perfectly. I will spec out an equivalent ivy bridge setup to compare.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I'd suggest using the Z77 chipset on the LGA 1155 socket.

KingOfPants
Premium Member
Canada

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Haven't worked up the courage to check out yet. Made some changes to add some upgrade potential to it, for the future. (Mainly mobo and power supply to support crossfire, and the recent drop in the amd cards.) Could you check it for any conflicts? Much thanks.

Power supply - $89.99
Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-750
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Pr ··· 17182133

GPU - $245.99
XFX Double D FX-787A-CDFC Radeon HD 7870
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Pr ··· 14150605

Mother Board - $139.99
BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Pr ··· 13138355

Hard drive - $109.99
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Pr ··· 22136533

Do I also need to buy any additional wires or should all that come with the parts?

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible

Conflicts? You just need to make sure your mobo is for the processor socket you selected (it is) and that the RAM is compatible with your mobo (less an issue these days).

All wires you need should be included. Most all will come with your PSU for power. Your optical drive should have a wire for sound if you want to connect that up and your video card should have adapters, if needed, for getting connected to your monitor.

Hypnotics
join:2009-08-19
Bryan, TX

Hypnotics to KingOfPants

to KingOfPants
I would stay with a Asus, Gigabyte or a ASrock. But that is just me.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Premium Member

to KingOfPants
That Biostar board is fine, it has 13 phase power design and solid caps. Just be aware that it only has two SATA III ports.

You might get a slightly nicer board with an Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, or MSI.

If you plan to expand to multiple GPUs, get the 750w PSU you selected. Otherwise the 550 one is fine.

I have heard that XFX has atrocious customer service, you may want to select a different brand of GPU.
Krisnatharok

1 edit

Premium Member

to KingOfPants
Don't forget a good CPU cooler, I am not a fan of the stock Ivy Bridge one, as in my experience (with an i5-3450) it cannot adequately cooler the CPU at stock speeds.

I suggest this: »www.newegg.ca/Product/Pr ··· 35103099

Also you may want to order good thermal paste (I like Arctic Silver), and a static grounding strap.

If you don't have a computer screwdriver kit, you might want to get one as well.

It's also good to have a couple extra SATA cables on hand too, in case you have trouble with an HDD want to rule out a bad cable.
Expand your moderator at work

KingOfPants
Premium Member
Canada

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok

Re: Can I build this myself for cheaper?

Great, much thanks for advice.
Things are starting to add up.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

1 edit

El Quintron to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

If you don't have a computer screwdriver kit, you might want to get one as well.

Can't recommend this enough, it usually comes with a "plunger" tool that grabs your screws and makes sure you don't drop them into your unfinished assembly. It's kept me building without killing anyone while I'm doing it.

edit: The plunger tool is right there in the picture... you won't regret this purchase I promise.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Premium Member

to KingOfPants
said by KingOfPants:

Great, much thanks for advice.
Things are starting to add up.

Stuff like the screwdriver kit and static strap are one-time purchases. My static strap is at least a decade old...