spc
Search similar:

uniqs
scdad
join:2010-08-25
Salem, VA

scdad

[connectivity] Losing Sync Every few minutes

My DSL has been losing sync/connection every few minutes for several weeks now. I can tell by the DSL light on the modem blinking and also via the modem system log which shows the DSL link going down constantly. Basically ever since the power company did some work of clearing trees at our power line. When it is connected the modem reports about half the speed of what I was getting before. But the biggest problem is the constant disconnects which make doing anything on the internet impossible. How do I report this to Verizon DSL support? I have tried calling their support line and after the automated "reboot your modem" garbage, they never pick up. So far today I have been waiting for over 51mins and still no one is answering. If they ever do answer I am sure they will go through the normal crap of having me reboot the modem again, reboot my PC, etc. But I am sure the problem is on the phone line from the street to my house. What should I say to them if I ever get hold of a real person?

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26

Premium Member

there is another thread above reporting problems like you are having. I am not sure if the tree clearing is a coincidence or if it is related. If you have VOICE SERVICE pick up the phone push any number besides zero and listen for crackles or static. Are you hearing those ? theres a issue with the line then. Call for VOICE REPAIR don't say nothing about the DSL . Fixing the voice issue will fix the DSL issue. If you don't have voice you will have to struggle with the outsourced support and their scrips or you can try the direct forom. See the other thread about other folks loosing sync every 15 minutes and see if your problem is the same if you are not hearing noise on the line. NOTE: even if you have no voice (dry loop) you can still plug a phone into the jack pick it up listen to a recording the line is not in service or to that effect and a fast busy signal. Wait for it to stop and listen for crackles or noise. If you hear them theres an issue with the copper pair between you and the CO.
scdad
Salem, VA

scdad

I have dry loop DSL. My modem is losing sync randomly, not at any defined interval. Sometimes it is fine for an hour or so and other times it is losing sync every few minutes. The max speed reported by the modem is always about half of what I was getting before. I plugged a phone with a DSL filter into a jack right at the phone line access box and hear lots of noise and cracks. The noise is so loud I can barely hear the automated voice recording. I am pretty confident the problem is related to the power company. A storm knocked down the power line from the street to a pole on my property on June 29. We were without power for a week, during the week I used an emergency generator and the DSL was still fine. On July 6, after the power company came out and fixed the line and cleared other trees near my line, the DSL stated having these sync problems. I guess I will post in the DSL direct forum. I see from the topics in that forum that I am not alone, but I can't read any of the details.

norbert26
Premium Member
Warwick, RI

norbert26

Premium Member

you have a line problem that WILL require a truck roll for sure. If you don't have any luck with direct you will have to go through the outsourced 800 number to get a truck roll. If it comes to the outsourced support try to explain to them what you said here and you already did all the modem stuff.
scdad
Salem, VA

scdad

I posted to the Verizon Direct forum, still waiting for a response. Yesterday the DSL would not connect all day long. Called DSL support and the automated recording said there was an outage in VA. It finally connected at extremely low download speed after 10pm. Below are my Transceiver Stats from this morning, the download speed is about half of what I was seeing before July 6 and about average of what I was seeing after. What else can be deduced from these stats? Do they show evidence of a damaged line?
Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0
Vendor ID Code: 4
Line Mode: ADSL2+ Mode
Data Path: Interleaved

Transceiver Information Downstream Path Upstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1498 446
Margin (dB) 12.5 14.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 60.5 34.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 15.8 12.0

norbert26
Premium Member
Warwick, RI

norbert26

Premium Member

Crackling and static in the line are indication of problems with the line no doubt about that. As far as the modem stats they wont always show the trouble as the modem synced in between noise . When the wind blows or the line moves the noise will knock the modem out of sync again and down to a lower rate. Unless a main cable was down and has been fixed (which would have affected multiple subscribers) the trouble would be on your line. You yourself mentioned in your first post a tree may have fell on the line. Recheck for noise / crackle if still there you a need a truck roll .

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to scdad

MVM

to scdad
Those stats aren't showing much indication of line trouble besides the sync rate being off. What it looks like is a long line. It's possible that when the power company was doing work they hit a degraded portion of the cable or had damaged it from a falling tree. It happens. Get a tech out to find and fix the problem for you.
scdad
Salem, VA

scdad

Thanks for your comments. I am trying to get a tech, but have had no luck getting through to anyone on the DSL support line. I have tried several times over the past week and no one ever picks up. I posted to the Verizon Direct forum 2 days ago and I see only 2 have read my post and no replies. I understand they must be swamped for some reason right now, everyone seems to have the same connection problems as me. I guess I should count myself lucky that I have any internet connection at all. I guess it is time to drop Verizon and look elsewhere, I saw a post about DSL extreme, they offer the same DSL speed I am getting from Verizon for over $20/month less. Even if the service is not that great, I am no worse off than I am now and I will be saving money...

youfamissim
@myvzw.com

youfamissim to scdad

Anon

to scdad
I have the same problem. This problem has existed for over a year. On-site Verizon tech told me "switch gear" @ verizon was antiquated - needed an upgrade. Still waiting on that.

JRave
Premium Member
join:2005-02-19
New Kensington, PA

JRave to scdad

Premium Member

to scdad
Try calling their phone support instead of dsl? Not sure if you'd be able to swing it, but when I needed my phone line from box to house fixed I had to call the phone company to do it.

Even switching to DSL Extreme, the physical line will still have to be maintained by the phone company.
scdad
Salem, VA

scdad

Thanks for the tip, I tried that but as soon as they find out I don't have phone service and only dry loop DSL they tell me to call the DSL tech number. At least with DSL Extreme all I would have to do is contact DSLX tech support and they would work through Verizon to fix the line. I also thought about biting the bullet and getting the phone service through Verizon again, but I don't want to go back to the $80/month bill. DSLX offers 3MB DSL service for $25/month on the website, but not sure what other hidden fees might be added.

trp2525
Premium Member
join:2008-02-24
united state

1 edit

trp2525

Premium Member

said by scdad:

...I also thought about biting the bullet and getting the phone service through Verizon again, but I don't want to go back to the $80/month bill. DSLX offers 3MB DSL service for $25/month on the website, but not sure what other hidden fees might be added.

You can get a Verizon Double Play Bundle which includes their Regional Essentials phone service and High Speed Internet Enhanced for $44.99/month (plus taxes and fees). Regional Essentials includes unlimited local and regional calling plus Voice Mail, Caller ID and Call Waiting. High Speed Internet Enhanced includes DSL speeds from 1.1 Mbps to 15 Mbps depending of course on what speed is available/possible at your location and ultimately what Verizon is willing to provision your line for.

Those prices listed on the DSL Extreme site for Verizon area customers are for 1-year contracts. 3.0 Mbps DSL Extreme is $24.95/month (as you posted) with a 1-year contract but jumps to $34.95/month without a contract. Verizon does not require a contract for any of their Double Play phone/DSL bundles.
jedijosh1713
join:2004-08-13
Buchanan, VA

jedijosh1713 to scdad

to scdad
Hey there scdad, see you're in Salem. I'm not far, up here in Buchanan!

I was having the same problems as you were. Sounds to me like you're going to have a tech come out to your house. I posted in the official Verizon forums (forums.verizon.com) and got great customer service (they were actually calling me!). The tech replaced something in the NID and I haven't had a random drop since then (been monitoring the modem log to be sure).
scdad
Salem, VA

scdad

Update: The tech came and found the problem was an old protection device (lightning arrest-or or something) at the pole which had been damaged and had exposed wires and was basically shorting out the phone line. He removed it and that fixed the problem. Then he found that the automatic provisioning had lowered the max speed on my line, so he had them reset it and it is back to normal again.

Capnblinski
join:2006-06-30
ST5 1PN

Capnblinski to scdad

to scdad
Same problem here in SW Pa. Losing sync 2 or 3 times daily. Called and spent 3 1/2 hours on the phone, got bumped up finally to someone who sounded more authoritative, she said "you have issues on your line" - Verizon then sent out a tech two days later who basically didn't do s**t - said everything was OK - and now a week later the problem is back. In the five years I've had this connection it has been rock solid - I think there is damage somewhere from the summer storms and the are just to lazy to identify the source. Well, we'll see..
scdad
Salem, VA

scdad

Sorry to hear about your problem, I can definitely relate to your experience. I guess I was lucky in the fact that by the time I got a tech to come to my house, my line was basically shorted so it didn't take him too long to find the problem.

It amazes me that they make you jump through hoops and do all their tests before they will even admit that there may be a problem on the line. Then when they finally do you have to jump through hoops to setup an appointment and pray that you don't miss the call. Then when the tech finally arrives, they have not been debriefed about the problem or what tests were done so they start inside your house at the modem and repeat most of the tests you have already done.

I believe I have had problems with my DSL connection from the beginning (several years ago) due to that old protection device. When I was looking for physical damage due to the storm I saw that device, but I didn't realize it was part of the phone line circuit. According to the tech, Verizon should have removed that device years ago since that protection is now done inside the NID.

Good luck with your issues, my DSL connection has been solid, even my public IP address has not changed since Tuesday. Before even when I thought it was good, my public IP would change a few times a day. I can't wait until it rains again to see if the connection stays solid.

Capnblinski
join:2006-06-30
ST5 1PN

Capnblinski

Thanks scdad - I have been in contact with Verizon Direct and will let you all know the outcome.