Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Name Game

Re: Yes, I was hacked. Hard.

I personally don't think they brute forced into iCloud .

»www.facebook.com/gizmodo/posts/4···ments=20

How to access OS X's built in password generator! (self.apple)
submitted 2 hours ago* by TheVloginator
In light of the recent iCloud user getting hacked and thus all his devices being wiped, people should re-think their current password on iCloud and on other sites. But there's a few problems: You don't trust online password generators or you don't want to pay for a password managing program. That is no longer a problem! OS X has a BUILT IN completely random password generator!! And here's how to access it:
1) Go into finder and search "Keychain Access"
2) Open the program, and if necessary click the lock in the upper left hand corner and enter your system password to access the application
3) Now that you can fully access the application, on the bottom of the window click on the little "+" symbol
4) Now in the window it created, next to the "Password" box, click on the image of the key
5) And there you go! Your very own OS X built in password generator! You can choose from the drop-down menu different options of passwords.
And the best part is that it works with Keychain!

»www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/···nerator/

Rocky67
Pencil Neck Geek
Premium
join:2005-01-13
Orange, CA

said by Name Game:

I don't believe it either. I think they got in some much easier way. I don't suppose we'll ever find out the real story.
--
Panic is the new patriotism

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:8

3 recommendations

reply to Name Game

Dude seriously, this board supports quoting using the [bquote]stuff here[/bquote] tag. Please use it, I have absolutely no idea what's your words or what you just ripped from elsewhere. I find this WAY more annoying then all caps. Here's an example:

This is an example quote. The thread »Yes, I was hacked. Hard.. could really use some quoting.

If you wanted to get really fancy you could even use the [bquote=some user] form to let us know who it is you're quoting.

/M

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

Have any comments on the story..or are you just policing today.
Click on the links and you will be ok.

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

2 recommendations

said by Name Game:

Have any comments on the story..or are you just policing today.
Click on the links and you will be ok.

I've got the same problem as mackey See Profile has with your quoting (or lack thereof) & I don't see commenting on it as 'policing' at all.
Just because you know who or what you're quoting it doesn't mean anyone else does.
Do us a favor, quote as if it matters that your understood without having to click links. It's very doable, a little more work on your part but if it's too much work - just start less threads with offsite links - quality over quantity - now you have a legit 'policing' complaint.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

3 edits

Try that edit.. you don't like stories happening in real time with offsite links.. hey ok by me.

complaining even after you read a disclaimer cracks me up..but then neither of you really ever start topics in the Forums.

Snowy
Premium
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

said by Name Game:

Try that edit.. you don't like stories happening in real time with offsite links.. hey ok by me.

I appreciate the effort.
Part of my concern over who is being is quoted can be illustrated with this thread.
If it were *you* that were hacked hard I'd be very interested in the matter whereas my interest in a Mat Honan, a former Gizmodo employee being hacked hard is of no interest to me.
I shouldn't have to click a link to find out that you are quoting someone as opposed to writing in the first person, IMO.

Snowy
Premium
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Name Game

said by Name Game:

complaining even after you read a disclaimer cracks me up..but then neither of you really ever start topics in the Forums.

Editing a post after the person it was directed at has responded doesn't crack me up -
Yeah, I don't start threads, especially just cut-n-paste threads where I don't bother to take a minute to clarify what I'm cutting n-pasting.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to Snowy

I understand..but you did not have to click since the disclaimer was there and still is.. so you knew who was the first person with the dangling participle ... and what was on second...now I have not been hacked or harmed..but facebook has modifed my gizmo to protect the public.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to Snowy

Big problem with this forum is that on the first page one sees the Title and the poster in this form. Yes, I was hacked. Hard. by Name Game So if one honors the article and does not change the title...people at our forum are already geared to think the wrong way..."by" should be taken out of the equation.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to Snowy

said by Snowy:

said by Name Game:

Editing a post after the person it was directed at has responded doesn't crack me up -
Yeah, I don't start threads, especially just cut-n-paste threads where I don't bother to take a minute to clarify what I'm cutting n-pasting.

Hmmmm...Last edit on that post was done at 8:16PM..you then posted at 8:22PM .. 6 min later...maybe you have a sticky cache ???
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Snowy
Premium
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Name Game

said by Name Game:

Big problem with this forum is that on the first page one sees the Title and the poster in this form. Yes, I was hacked. Hard. by Name Game So if one honors the article and does not change the title...people at our forum are already geared to think the wrong way..."by" should be taken out of the equation.

That would be a valid point IMO except for the fact that there's only 1 poster who I have a continuing problem of de-cyphering just who it is their talking about.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 recommendation

Off topic:

To you both deciding to post against the topic.
• First I could ask for moderation of your cause as another user here.
• Secondly, NameGame posts a lot more than most and keeps half of the conversation going, so show a little understanding for a very concerned person who posts everywhere, not just here.
• Thirdly, if you notice the first post is always a dup off the link, then the next post will be discussion. Maybe not the best, but are you then going to nail antdude See Profile for posting only links off links for topic starters? Remember these are topic starters, not an initial discussion on a posted link. On this note I did fall into your category a little till I read more, heck some even get told to go and use google - not very friendly.
• You have all been here long enough to use PM?

I'm just glad the stories are getting here for the read, however the topic is started. Maybe a discussion in these in helping plan a better site?
»Feedback
»Feedback
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Snowy
Premium
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

said by norwegian:

Off topic:...

You put a lot of effort into all that, appreciated.
Too bad it's not as factual as it might seem at a glance.
e.g.,
said by Name Game:

How @Gizmodo Got Hacked and How You Should Defend Yourself

If you follow Gizmodo on Twitter, you may have noticed our account started spewing some garbage last night. We got hacked. Here's how it happened, and some steps you can take to keep it from happening to you.

That's the 5th entry in this thread & the OP is still talking as if he experienced the event in the 1st person.
As I've mentioned earlier, if the OP can't keep his threads straight then maybe he should focus more on quality than quantity.
btw, I seldom have a problem knowing who it's about in antdude See Profile's threads.

norwegian
Premium
Outback

1 edit

Point taken, and guess we will have all our posts deleted shortly.

I tend to think it was the title that frustrated you both more than the content and how it was posted. You can come here hoping to help the user sort problems out, only to feel you have wasted your time?

A simple title change may of helped initially?

We all are very concerned over personal accounts being hacked and passionate to the point we jump in hoping to get the user helped as soon as possible. I'm no different and doubt anyone else here is. But PM is better than messing up what I consider a very important topic for newbies, regulars and another person wanting info or help.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

1 edit
reply to Snowy

Soo funny..I'll try to ask all the people who put out info on the net to please not do it in first person because snowy might think someone else wrote it...put it this way..if I post a link with info above it..the info came from that link..if there is additional words posted and you don't find them in the link then they are most likely mine...if you don't want to read the link..then stuff it..I could care less.

I personally read antdude's threads and links..but many time never read the entire link since hold no interest..but would be nice if more info was given in the posting.

I post stuff that interests me..if it is not your cup of tea..try another with milk.
--
Gladiator Security Forum

Snowy
Premium
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

said by Name Game:

...put it this way..if I post a link with info above it..the info came from that link..if there is additional words posted and you don't find them in the link then they are most likely mine...

Oh, the name game formula for understanding who it is he refers to.
Everyone else usually uses the block quotes but you require a personal way of de-chypering who is being quoted.
Quality will always trump quantity when it comes to posting.
If you don't believe that, consider a mindless script could outpost you all day long but it couldn't match the quality of a properly block quoted post.
You're capable of showing more intelligence than a script, I don't understand your reluctance.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

You got it..hell of a lot better than having to force another member to pull up info in quotes themselves just to get the thread going and make a comment That might be even considered by some a rude.

»Facebook's Facial Recognition Draws US Senate Scrutiny

At least now you can throw out some one liners without even reading the links..but truth be know you do read links since in the past you have posted numerous time in threads with just links.

Now..in the link I have posted wxboss had to work over time just to make a comment...and you might be better at this than I..but I have no idea what wxboss is saying or posting..but seems to be OK..
--
Gladiator Security Forum

Snowy
Premium
Kailua, HI
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

You can continue to blame the forums formatting of threads & keep whining that "Well Johnny does it", but I've made my point, I'm done with this thread.
Now go get the last word in, it's an expected event.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

2 edits

said by Snowy:

You can continue to blame the forums formatting of threads & keep whining that "Well Johnny does it", but I've made my point, I'm done with this thread.
Now go get the last word in, it's an expected event.

I am confused..was that your italic quote...Johnny thingie..or did you borrow it ? Got a link ?

»cameronmoll.com/archives/2008/06···italics/

And you never really started the thread... it was about
Yes, I was hacked. Hard.

..... you just started your own posting within the thread...but for you I guess that means you are done with a thread you started.

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium
join:2003-01-29
Erie, PA

2 recommendations

reply to Rocky67

said by Rocky67:

said by Name Game:

I don't believe it either. I think they got in some much easier way. I don't suppose we'll ever find out the real story.

Here's the update from his tumblr:
quote:
Update Three: I know how it was done now. Confirmed with both the hacker and Apple. It wasn’t password related. They got in via Apple tech support and some clever social engineering that let them bypass security questions. Apple has my Macbook and is trying to recover the data. I’m back in all my accounts that I know I was locked out of. Still trying to figure out where else they were.
--
Out the 10BaseT, through the modem, down the co-ax, over the fiber, across the backhaul, past the edge router, off the network...nothing but net

tholly911

join:2012-05-30
Pasadena, TX

Now that's a great reply!

You used quotes to build up forum members and the usage of the quotes provided great clarity.

The update itself is valuable information. I am not an Apple and am curious about the Apple tech support being used nefariously. Hopefully more details will be provided ... because as the storyline now rests, I get a sense something is very wrong with that tech support? Here's why:

quote:
Apple tells me that the remote wipe is likely irrecoverable without serious forensics. Because I’m a jerk who doesn’t back up data, I’ve lost at more than a year’s worth of photos, emails, documents, and more. And, really, who knows what else.
Is "remote wipe" a reformat hard drive command? I guess when a user allows remote troubleshooting ... they give someone absolutely total control of the computer. Should the "social engineering" trickery be revealed? Which is greater: The benefit of doing so to help prevent others from being suckered; or, the harm caused by teaching the next generation of hackers.

Mat Honan says the hacker is now in contact with him? How bizarre and brazen! What a hoot if the culprit gets caught.

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to DannyZ

said by DannyZ:

Here's the update from his tumblr:

quote:
Update Three: I know how it was done now. Confirmed with both the hacker and Apple. It wasn’t password related. They got in via Apple tech support and some clever social engineering that let them bypass security questions. Apple has my Macbook and is trying to recover the data. I’m back in all my accounts that I know I was locked out of. Still trying to figure out where else they were.

Security questions - do you believe that method is good for security of your account, I'm expecting my daughter's account to be hacked before the end of school because of how easy it seems to guess answers if you know the person who's account it is.

Until you see facts, I'm expecting it to be the number 1 doorway.

Anyone laying bets?

--

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to tholly911

+1

I don't know which is worse though, the social engineering of Apple or the recovering of data after a remote wipe

I'm not too surprised the hacker is talking to him. Egos tend to do that. It also wouldn't surprise me to find out he's from a non-extradition-friendly country, so even if they know who it is they still may not be able to do anything.

/M

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:12

Mat at least appears to be exponentially more calm than I would be, if someone from my computer manufacturer's tech support allowed a hacker to wipe three of my devices. If I were Apple, I'd be moving mountains to try to get his data back.

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium
join:2003-01-29
Erie, PA

said by Mango:

If I were Apple, I'd be moving mountains to try to get his data back.

Except that if his data is recoverable, it will show that the remote "wipe" available on iDevices is useless.
--
Out the 10BaseT, through the modem, down the co-ax, over the fiber, across the backhaul, past the edge router, off the network...nothing but net

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:12

2 edits

I'm not familiar with the technology, but unless it does something as effective as a DoD-style wipe, it will be as adequate as a simple format.

Expand your moderator at work

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to mackey

Re: Yes, I was hacked. Hard.

This is what Mat's inbox looked like

»www.emptyage.com/post/2871039354···-ipad-ol