antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

2 edits

antdude

Premium Member

Just got $89.99 bundled package & have TV newbie questions!

»Do these results look from a new bundled $89.99 service? for the details.

Anyways, I noticed cable digital TV's picture quality (blurry) is not good as OTA's on a new 22" Samsung HDTV (computer monitor too), but the technicans connected it with composite cables (red, yellow, and white). Shouldn't I have gotten HDMI cables for better picture from them? If not, then would HDMI (buy my own) improve the picture quality or is that the best for TWC's cable digital TV? I am spoiled by OTA's picture quality.

On my new Motorola DCX3400 DVR, I have questions since I am spoiled by my DTV Pal DVR for OTA:
1. Is there a way to resize the closed captionings (CC) font and its size? They look ugly. How about turn it on/off easily without going through the annoying DVR menus?
2. On TV Guide, how can I go the next/previous days without going through every hour. For example, I want to record 8/12/2012 Olympics' closing ceremony without searching. There is no page/screen right and left. Also, is there a way to make the TV Guide smaller to show more contents? I asume there's no way to remove the annoying ads. at the bottom.
3. Is there a manual? :P
4. More coming?

Thank you in advance.

Jabbu
Premium Member
join:2002-03-06

Jabbu

Premium Member

I don't think any provider can match OTA.

I prefer component cables over HDMI myself in picture quality and reliability.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

1 edit

antdude

Premium Member

said by Jabbu:

I don't think any provider can match OTA.

I prefer component cables over HDMI myself in picture quality and reliability.

OK, I will try HDMI. I am SO spoiled by free OTA. Does anyone know where to get a low cost and short one to connect between DVR and HDTV on the same desk. It should be from local retail stores in Los Angeles/L.A. area.

MeInDallas
join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas to antdude

to antdude
The TWC office here by me sells them for $10, so you might check your office. If you want to order online you can get one at Newegg for $4.99 with free shipping and Newegg is pretty fast with shipping.

Bucolic
@swbell.net

Bucolic to antdude

Anon

to antdude
I've used monoprice.com. You can get the HDMI's in a variety of lengths and colors, such as 3', 4', 5', 6' and longer. 3' is 2.50; 6' is 3.50. On a single cable, they ship via US post office for about 3.50 S&H. They are located in Rancho Cucamonga, so it should only take 1-2 days to the L.A. area if ordered before 2 PM.

Suit Up
join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA

Suit Up to antdude

to antdude
If you live near Rancho Cucamonga, Monoprice has cheap prices and you can pick up your order. Otherwise, go to Frys.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude to Bucolic

Premium Member

to Bucolic
said by Bucolic :

I've used monoprice.com. You can get the HDMI's in a variety of lengths and colors, such as 3', 4', 5', 6' and longer. 3' is 2.50; 6' is 3.50. On a single cable, they ship via US post office for about 3.50 S&H. They are located in Rancho Cucamonga, so it should only take 1-2 days to the L.A. area if ordered before 2 PM.

AH, but none from local retail stores?
antdude

1 edit

antdude to Suit Up

Premium Member

to Suit Up
said by Suit Up:

If you live near Rancho Cucamonga, Monoprice has cheap prices and you can pick up your order. Otherwise, go to Frys.

Good idea on Frys. Any specific brands to get? There's a lot! Haha, Monsters' expensive prices! I found a 3' for eleven bucks at Costco. :/
antdude

antdude to Suit Up

Premium Member

to Suit Up
said by Suit Up:

A bit far.

Suit Up
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

Suit Up to antdude

to antdude
Brand doesn't matter, just get the cheapest. HDMI is digital, so the cable is either gonna work or it won't.

MeInDallas
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas to antdude

to antdude
If youre close to a Walmart they have them there for $10, the brand is Philips and it works great. I have one in my office that I got from there.

Bucolic
@swbell.net

Bucolic to antdude

Anon

to antdude
"Is there a manual?"
See if this helps. The manual for the DCX3400 is on the Motorola website:

»www.motorola.com/staticf ··· uide.pdf

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude to MeInDallas

Premium Member

to MeInDallas
said by MeInDallas:

If youre close to a Walmart they have them there for $10, the brand is Philips and it works great. I have one in my office that I got from there.

Hmm, I will check. I found it on its web site, but it said "Online" only. When did you get yours?
antdude

antdude to Bucolic

Premium Member

to Bucolic
said by Bucolic :

"Is there a manual?"
See if this helps. The manual for the DCX3400 is on the Motorola website:

»www.motorola.com/staticf ··· uide.pdf

Thanks. I see it has the answer to my CC question on page 38. Strange way to reach that setting menu! I find this DVR's usability weird.

However, it doesn't seem to explain the settings in DVR software.

MeInDallas
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas to antdude

to antdude
said by antdude:

said by MeInDallas:

Hmm, I will check. I found it on its web site, but it said "Online" only. When did you get yours?

I got mine like 2 months ago. I'm in the Dallas, TX area though, so they may be online only for your store. I bet they will have other brands in your store. If its close to you it might be worth a trip up there just to see.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by MeInDallas:

said by antdude:

said by MeInDallas:

I got mine like 2 months ago. I'm in the Dallas, TX area though, so they may be online only for your store. I bet they will have other brands in your store. If its close to you it might be worth a trip up there just to see.

Thanks.
antdude

1 edit

antdude

Premium Member

OK, I just got a bundled package that has two 9' HDMI cables (also supports 3D, BR, ethernet, etc.) and a cleaner from WireLogic (WireLogic.us). It looks similiar to »www.amazon.com/WireLogic ··· 42FFO1O/ ... I hope these are good! I will try them later. I hope I can just unplug the composite cables and connect the HDMI cables without doing anything to make it work.

Also, is there an instructional guide on how to use DVR's iGuide and find stuff? Crappy usability design it has. :P
antdude

antdude

Premium Member

OK. I am a dork and failed, but then what did you expect from a newbie? :P

TWC technicians did give me component cables (three white cables with red, green, and blue ribbons (RGB) on their ends [also gave me two black audio cables -- stereo to my HDTV's internal speakers I assume?], not red, yellow, and white). I have been using composite cables for too long (still used them with my VCR, CRT TVs, and DTV Pals). I disconnected them and tried one of my new HDMI cables. It worked and picture was way clearer (still not good as OTA though but good enough from cable compressions). Wait, weren't these RGB components supposed to be clear too?

However, the aspect picture ratios were wrong on some channels. I saw croppings, squishes, etc. I found out that there are SD and HD channels (e.g., 402 for KCBS-HD and 2 for KCBS-SD!). Why have both? I had to fiddle with that with the HDTV. I think I finally got them right. It was weird that some chnanels had wrong picture aspect ratios and croppings even if I had the correct channels. I hope I got those fixed. :O

Suit Up
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

1 recommendation

Suit Up

Yeah, all the HD channels are around the 400s in the LA area (some sports ones start at 389 and there are some premium ones up higher). With the Motorola cable boxes there is a menu you could bring up (turn off the cable box power and then press OK/SELECT on the remote within 2 seconds) to set how the cable box outputs the video. It could either scale everything to one size, output the native resolution, or scale all HD to one size and output 480i for the SD. So depending on your TV you might want to play around with those a bit.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by Suit Up:

Yeah, all the HD channels are around the 400s in the LA area (some sports ones start at 389 and there are some premium ones up higher). With the Motorola cable boxes there is a menu you could bring up (turn off the cable box power and then press OK/SELECT on the remote within 2 seconds) to set how the cable box outputs the video. It could either scale everything to one size, output the native resolution, or scale all HD to one size and output 480i for the SD. So depending on your TV you might want to play around with those a bit.

Thanks. I will check that out later. I just want the correct aspect ratio. I hate seeing squished picture. I don't mind black bars if they can't fit widescreen fully. Just don't change my aspect ratios!

BTW, I noticed KCET28's HD isn't in 400s range.

Bucolic
@swbell.net

Bucolic to antdude

Anon

to antdude
antdude: "is there an instructional guide on how to use DVR's iGuide and find stuff?"

---------------
Here are enough FAQ's to answer a lot of questions. Specifically for info on the guide, scroll down to the subtopic "On-Screen Guide."

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· ite.faqs

Suit Up
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

Suit Up to antdude

to antdude
KCET HD is 412

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

1 recommendation

motorola870

said by Suit Up:

KCET HD is 412

Socal should be getting more HD in the next few weeks/months:

KWHY HD (MundoFox HD)
PAC12 LA HD
PAC12 National HD
TWC Sports net HD (October 1st)
TWC Deportes HD (October 1st)
KEYT HD (select areas that get the channel currently some areas are having the channel dropped completely and others are having it transitioned to digital) Looks like RF channel 3 (63MHz) is being freed up in some areas.

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· rts.html

Also lookout for KAZA HD as they have launched Azteca America in HD in Los Angeles.

Dallas is supposed to get Azteca America HD soon.

Suit Up
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

Suit Up

Yeah, I'm one of the ones losing KEYT. We've had it in this area for over 20 years (I don't know about before that as I didn't live in the area), so I don't get why they are dropping it now. I guess I'll have to resort to getting a really big antenna to try to get it over the air.

Bluphan
@swbell.net

Bluphan to antdude

Anon

to antdude
antdude:
You asked about a manual for iGuide. I found one at the link below, but haven't read it yet, but it looks helpful:

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· nual.pdf

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by Bluphan :

antdude:
You asked about a manual for iGuide. I found one at the link below, but haven't read it yet, but it looks helpful:

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· nual.pdf

Thanks.
antdude

3 edits

antdude

Premium Member

DVR annoyances.

OK, I had some quick free times to fiddle with the new DVR's iGuide and its remote control (RC) earlier. However, I am struggling and annoyed with its usability designs.

1. Is there no way to enter manual dates, times, etc. quickly for manual recordings? I wanted to enter 8/12 and 8:00 PM to 11:00 PM for Olympics' closing ceremony without using TV Guide. I should be able to enter the numbers from RC easily.
2. After setting up a recording for Sunday night, I noticed my future recording list is blank for the day (Thursday). I have to go to Sunday to see that future recording I just added. Is there a way to show ALL of my future recordings of all time?
3. Does this DVR have default before and after set times for recordings? I like to have extra five minutes before and after the scheduled times to avoid missing any seconds since not all channels start and end on time even with atomic times/clocks.
4. When using closed captionings/CCs, I see them over the DVR menus too. Is there a way to only avoid this? It's annoying. It should only show in the video! Also, is there a CC on and off button on the fly without going through the menus?

A lot of weird design flaws in this DVR!

My parents finally got their first monthly bills from last week's installation. Wow, $129.39 (lots of confusing installations, fees, taxes, and credits for this $89.99 promotion). Heh, good thing I only had to pay my old one for $52.99 and no lame fees (e.g., cable modem's $2.50).
antdude

4 edits

antdude

Premium Member

Skipping/FFing to specific times, TWC's TV guides online,...

Another newbie question with 1056B03 RC and Motorola DCX3400 DVR: Since the supplied RC can't skip 30 seconds, does that mean there's no way to skip at all?

Let's say I recorded something for over three hours. I don't want to watch the whole thing, but I would like to skip/start half-way or to/at its second hour? Do I really have to use fast forward at maximum speed (seems to be skip every two minutes per second)? Or can other RCs let me do this?

Also, is there a way to show only HD and other options on »tvlistings.timewarnercab ··· istings/ ? Like show me movies in HD only.

When manually recording with its record button while watching something already with Motorola DCX3400 DVR, how can I tell it how long to record by MY define amount of time? According to page 30 in »www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· nual.pdf manual, it seems to record until its end time based on its TV guide? How about overriding this setting? Like I want to add another hour after it ends (e.g., sport events).

I also noticed deleting my recordings still show 20% used on my DVR's HDD. What's up with that? Does it update slowly or have a bug?
Gemutlich
join:2012-06-14

1 recommendation

Gemutlich

antdude asks:
quote:
Another newbie question with 1056B03 RC and Motorola DCX3400 DVR: Since the supplied RC can't skip 30 seconds, does that mean there's no way to skip at all?
See if this other thread on the "30-second skip" topic helps you any. It details how to custom program the remote. I don't have a 3400 or your particular remote, so haven't tried it. If you try it, please report back on whether it works for you.

»DCX3400 30 second skip solved!!

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by Gemutlich:

antdude asks:

quote:
See if this other thread on the "30-second skip" topic helps you any. It details how to custom program the remote. I don't have a 3400 or your particular remote, so haven't tried it. If you try it, please report back on whether it works for you.

»DCX3400 30 second skip solved!!

Thanks. I will try it later.