Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gone Fishing
Premium
join:2001-06-29

2 edits

1 recommendation

[Info] Compare: Outlook vs. Gmail vs. Hotmail ...

Click for full size
quote:
Outlook.com

Take a look at the powerful features Outlook offers and how they stack up against the competition.

Compare @ »windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind···/compare

Related:

Try Outlook.com Preview using Gmail
»windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind···re-gmail

Upgrade Hotmail to Outlook.com Preview
»windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind···-hotmail

Set up Outlook.com Preview on your smartphone or tablet
»windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind···k/mobile

Meet Outlook.com Preview
»windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind···ook/home

Outlook Help & How-to
»windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind···p-center
--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

Gone Fishing
Premium

1 edit

1 recommendation

Re: [Info] Compare...

• Outlook vs. Gmail: A Feature-by-Feature Comparison
»lifehacker.com/5931621/outlook-v···mparison

• Gmail Vs Outlook Vs Yahoo Comparison
»techdevian.com/gmail-vs-outlook-···parison/

• Five ways Outlook.com beats Gmail - and one way it doesn't
»pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/ne···t-doesnt

--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

Gone Fishing
Premium
reply to Gone Fishing

Outlook team hints towards the inclusion of IMAP support

»www.neowin.net/images/uploaded/1_outlook.jpg
Snapped 2012-08-12 15:31:45

quote:
w w w . n e o w i n . n e t

Outlook team hints towards the inclusion of IMAP support

Despite supporting their decision to support EAS instead of IMAP, the representative said, IMAP is good for two things: (1) Supporting legacy phones and clients that don't have EAS suppot, (2) supporting developers who want an API to access mail. He also said that they know the importance of these two things and thus the users can expect an IMAP support for Outlook sometime down the line. However he refused to comment on any release date but said "If IMAP is really, really important to you, you should wait to upgrade."

This news will surely make the Mac and IMAP fans happy who are willing to try their hands on the new Outlook.com which is more sleek and supports integration of popular social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn from the inbox itself.

More @ »www.neowin.net/news/outlook-team···-support
--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

mastsethi

join:2012-05-26
reply to Gone Fishing

Re: [Info] Compare: Outlook vs. Gmail vs. Hotmail ...

Outlook is perfect. It's simple, clean and rich in features. Microsoft has pulled out an absolute stunner and the switch from gmail to outlook is inevitable.

Gone Fishing
Premium
reply to Gone Fishing

Upgrade from Gmail to Outlook.com in 5 easy steps

quote:
Outlook Blog
Upgrade from Gmail to Outlook.com in 5 easy steps

Get modern email without giving up your Gmail account

Upgrading from Gmail to Outlook.com offers many advantages including:

• A fast, modern UI that shows you more of your email with less clutter
• An address book that connects to Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, so all your contacts are in one place
• Pictures from Facebook in messages from your friends, messaging that lets you chat with your friends on Facebook right from your Inbox
• Great tools to help handle newsletters, deals and more
• SkyDrive and Office built-in to make it easy to share and collaborate

And, of course, Outlook.com respects your privacy - it won't use the contents of your personal email to show you ads; in fact, you won't see ads when reading email from friends.

You don't even have to tell people to change the way they communicate with you. You can keep your Gmail address and can get all your mail right in Outlook. Here are the five steps:

1. Get an Outlook.com account
2. Forward your new mail from Gmail
3. Set up Outlook.com to be able to send email using your Gmail address
4. Connect your address book to Gmail
5. Import all your old mail

More @ »blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-out···eps.aspx

--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Gone Fishing

They have a "works with Microsoft products" line but where's the "works with Apple and Google products line"? Outlook doesn't do that.

Where is the "works everywhere on any OS" line? Outlook doesn't do that.

There are a few lines I'm sure they mistakenly did not check, like the "Organize inbox by customer categories, folders" line. You can do this in GMail.

Some of the things they claim GMail can't do are available in Google+ which GMail links to seamlessly like sharing photos.

I'm not sure how the 25MB of storage in GMail comes about. My current box says I have 10GB though I know that include my Drive account (which seamlessly integrates with all of Google).

Long story short, Microsoft again is cherry picking what they want to show and ignores the big picture.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat

2 edits

They have a "works with Microsoft products" line but where's the "works with Apple and Google products line"? Outlook doesn't do that.

Where is the "works everywhere on any OS" line? Outlook doesn't do that.

"Mobile access on major smartphones"
"POP aggregation"

Plus it's webmail. I'm pretty sure all those cover that category many times over.

Some of the things they claim GMail can't do are available in Google+ which GMail links to seamlessly like sharing photos.

So in other words you can't do it with Gmail, just like they say. Google+ is a separate product from Gmail, and just because they integrate together doesn't change the fact that Gmail doesn't do it native. What if you don't use G+? You miss out on that. The comparison is valid.

I'm not sure how the 25MB of storage in GMail comes about. My current box says I have 10GB though I know that include my Drive account (which seamlessly integrates with all of Google).

That's because it's not talking about storage, but maximum attachment size.

»support.google.com/mail/bin/answ···wer=8770

Long story short, Microsoft again is cherry picking what they want to show and ignores the big picture.

Of course they are, that's just basic marketing...

But the specific points you brought up are not manifestations of that, as demonstrated.

Disclaimer: I run my own mail server so I am not biased towards any of the free services. loooooolllllllllllllll

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to Gone Fishing

It is a fairly honest comparison of features they want to mention. The lack of IMAP support with Outlook.com is a severe deficiency. I don't mind Outlook.com and grabbed an early address, but I forward all my mail out of it right to GMail. The list of features lacking from Outlook is so long, I can only begin to list them.

1)Outlook is missing anything close to the themes that GMail offers.
2)Outlook is missing the tight (or any) integration with Google Voice that allows me to use my GMail window as my sole means of receiving and making phone calls from my desk.
3)Outlook is missing anything like the labs feature in GMail. Labs are extremely useful features that often become built in features. They allow me to do things like recall a message sent, initiate a pull of mail from numerous email accounts, listen to my Google Voice messages from within an email, etc.
4)The robust search engine of Google applied to my email. The search capabilities in GMail are extensive, although the capabilities »support.google.com/mail/bin/answ···wer=7190 often go unnoticed. Outlook has nothing like it from what I can tell other than a GUI advanced search option. Google searches can be Boolean and the strings can be applied to filters which allow you to view messages in almost any way you desire. Neither service allows you to search for messages based on attachment size which is extremely useful when cleaning out your mail. I don't know why they leave that out.
5) Third party software is extensive for GMAIL. You can find something to do most anything except get a beer out of your refrigerator.

All this said, Outlook.com is a new product and it is pretty nice. I wouldn't consider switching to it now, but who knows after it has matured some more. Right now I have exactly the same 8 letter prefix I have with Gmail and I have started to use my Outlook address for a few things that end up being forwarded to GMail.

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
reply to DrModem

said by DrModem:

"Mobile access on major smartphones"
"POP aggregation"

Plus it's webmail. I'm pretty sure all those cover that category many times over.

Then you're saying it works with GMail, Google Docs and everything Apple. I think not.

So in other words you can't do it with Gmail, just like they say. Google+ is a separate product from Gmail, and just because they integrate together doesn't change the fact that Gmail doesn't do it native. What if you don't use G+? You miss out on that. The comparison is valid.

One click gives you Google+ and you don't have to do anything with Google+ beyond that. Their ignoring that is lame.

Of course they are, that's just basic marketing...

Yes. That's my point. Just like their advertisements for IE show what it can do while ignoring everything it can't. You just can't believe this stuff.

@Kramer's points are very good example of ignoring what's available.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat

I don't see why you guys are ragging on this for not supporting google services. Last time I checked only Gmail did, so it's not a deficiency that's exclusive to this outlook product, or to Microsoft.

It's like ragging on a Honda car because it doesn't have Ford's sync service.

MSeng
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-08
join:2000-07-13
Ork
kudos:6

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to howardfine

If this was a comparison of outlook.com vs. google+ then you would have valid points. As it is, you are changing the subject to match your blind hate for anything Microsoft. Most people here see that for what it's worth.

Keep up the fine work.
--
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA
reply to Gone Fishing

I've discovered another major deficiency in Outlook.com which in my opinion pretty much eliminates it as business tool for a lot of people. Outlook.com allows you specify a different sending address as the chart mentions, but Microsoft isn't close to GMail's capabilities in this department. In Outlook.com, if you specify another email address, they are going to use Microsoft's servers to actually send out the mail. They provide no method to use the servers of the domain that you want it to go out as. This creates a messy and unprofessional email.

GMail allows you to specify the outgoing server address, account name, password, port, etc. so the mail coming out of GMail looks exactly like it should, with only the intended sending address.

Let me give you an example. Suppose we have an Outlook.com address of XYZZY@outlook.com. Suppose we also have an intended sending address of john@mycorp.com. Outlook.com allows you to specify john@mycorp.com as the sending address, but when the recipient receives the messages in numerous (most) clients including Microsoft Outlook, they will see the recipient as xyzzy@outlook.com on behalf of john@mycorp.com. This would be unacceptable for a lot of business and personal users. You may want to hide the underlying Outlook.com address for various reasons, not limited to security or looking professional.

GMail is far more sophisticated in this regard. Suppose the Gmail account being used is XYZZY@GMail.com. By properly setting up the mycorp.com server information in GMail, the mail will go out with sender simply being john@mycorp.com, not the mess that occurs when you use GMail's servers to send out the mail. Using the Google servers is an option, but not mandatory as it is in Outlook.com.

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
reply to DrModem

said by DrModem:

I don't see why you guys are ragging on this for not supporting google services. Last time I checked only Gmail did, so it's not a deficiency that's exclusive to this outlook product, or to Microsoft.

That's my point. Microsoft is claiming it has an advantage over GMail because it supports Microsoft products.
Expand your moderator at work

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
reply to Kramer

Funny you should mention that. One of the services we provide our smaller clientele is some marketing and public relations so we frequently send out email with a return address of that client. We use GMail to do exactly what you're talking about.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

I think outlook is a great improvement and it works well it works with firefox, though it has a nag screen at first, but it works and works well.
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA
reply to howardfine

I really can't believe MS left out that capability on their first version. I hope someone proves me wrong. I have no problem with Outlook.com as a tool for those who can use it and like it. I see a lot of potential with it. There's a lot I hate about about GMail and in many ways Google has been doing their best to make it harder to use lately. I'd love to see MS kick their ass if only to step technology up a notch in general. It is competition that makes products get better. I am no corporation's fanboy. I am pro-consumer. I like it when corporations get in the ring and chew each other to death. Microsoft has a decent product here, but it isn't going to compete with GMail any time soon at the business level.

Expand your moderator at work