spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

UverseTech

join:2012-08-04

Uverse in general

I have been a uverse tech for some time now and have many things to say. First off the product is great in theory (lab) but in the real world each install is as different as people are different. The main problem is the MANAGEMENT from top down. The techs are forced to meet unrealistic time requirements or they will be pushed out the door or be fired. This is why most uverse installs are shoddy. You will also find your tech has less than 6 months experience and has the deer in the headlights look because they are still so green, you should probably cancel at this time unless you enjoy frustration. Your reward will be to sit on the phone for hours on end with support personnel with the same amount of experience and in the end, 2-3 hours, sending out a tech anyway.

If you want a good install tell the tech to run a cat5 homerun to the gateway, and if they try to use the existing cable, run them off and cancel. Coax is the worst form of a uverse install, on any tv, make the tech run new cat 5 to each box. ALL customers get 3 free homeruns included in their install, which is rarely discussed.

Another firm request is DO NOT let the tech use a 3800 model gateway, these are nothing but refurbished junk. I feel sorry for the customers in Dallas, Houston and San Antonio, they get this model installed on a regular basis. This model was antiquated in March 2010 and replaced with the smaller all black 3801.

I would suggest to all that suffer from resetting the 3800 all the time to demand a 3801 and a credit for putting up with this substandard equipment.

If by chance you call in a repair ticket after spending hours on the phone with support remember the tech get 69 minutes to solve your issue. Most of the time your issue will not get resolved in the first visit unless you get a veteran of at least 1-2 years experience, and even then if his monthly numbers are low he will be forced to just do a temp fix.

In the end it all revolves around the bonus incentives upward through the management of uverse. They do not care about anything except keeping their own numbers up to stay off the radar of their superiors. It could be a much better product if you put more realistic time constraints on the install/repair of the product.

PS: I have the Charter 100Mbps internet which is 3 times that of top uverse profile of 32Mbps, I'll never get Uverse it's too slow with too many issues.

Expand your moderator at work

bruintennis

join:2012-08-06
Monterey Park, CA
reply to UverseTech

Re: Uverse in general

Thank you for the insight! I'm currently thinking of switching to either U-Verse or Charter internet. I'm in Los Angeles.

dlathem
Premium
join:2000-08-11
Birmingham, AL
reply to UverseTech

I guess I was a lucky one. I had a Facilities Tech and a Premises Tech that both knew their stuff.

The Premises tech immediately ran new CAT5e and he knew what he was doing. As for the 3800, the installed unit did have WiFi problems within a few hours, but the same PT came back the next day with a new unit. I have had absolutely NO problems with the 3800 for almost three months now. My last re-boot of the Gateway was 62 days ago and the wireless box upstairs has run without problem, or the need for a reboot, since the day it was installed.

I also had a great experience with contacting uverse support via an email supplied on this site to get my service re-provisioned. This happened within a few hours of sending the email.

My Gateway is located 600 feet from the VRAD.

llzel

@att.net

Moving soon and am thinking of dropping DISH for UverseTV. I've had Uverse internet (12mbps) for several years so I already own the modem/gateway. My new house is all plaster and very hard to install cables. I'm considering using 2 wireless STB. One question is, do they work OK? Satelliteguys forum stated microwaves and other things will interfere. True? and is there a RF remote that works with their wireless STB and the DVR unit? I like to hide the receiver. And last question, before, I used an HDMI splitter and wired another TV via HDMI-CAT6 to another room. Would this work with Uverse wireless receiver?
Thanks

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3
reply to UverseTech

said by UverseTech:

Coax is the worst form of a uverse install, on any tv, make the tech run new cat 5 to each box.

Why is this exactly?

To give you an example, I bought a house in 2010. The house was completely rewired with NEW coax by a U-Verse tech some time in 2009. (I am still in touch with the previous home owner by the way, after his divorce he bought close by).

When DirecTV came, the DirecTV tech said the cable was perfect, and all he needed to do is replace the heads with "DirecTV approved" connectors, which he did. DirecTV connected three TV's , whole home DVR, and left the other 2 unused cables in place with DirecTV connectors, in case I wanted to expand in the future.

I have crystal-clear pictures, Home DVR works brilliantly, and have no complaints. What makes U-Verse TV as a system not work well with coaxial cable?
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Graystoke

join:2006-03-24
Stockton, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to UverseTech

When I had U-verse installed over four years ago, the installer replaced the old coax with new coax. The old coax was here since the houses were built in 1977. No mention of cat5 by the installer or anyone else at ATT.

At the time, I had very little to no knowledge about U-verse. I had no idea there was a choice between cat5 and coax. If cat5 is so much better, and the tech installed new coax, why wasn't I told about this? Is the picture quality that much better with the cat5? I'm fairly happy with the overall picture quality now, but if it would be better with cat5, I'm upset that is wasn't offered to me.

Rangersfan

@sbcglobal.net

Despite what was said earlier, there is no difference in quality between a good coax install and cat5 install. Issues would arise with coax, if it was a poor install.

Graystoke

join:2006-03-24
Stockton, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

said by Rangersfan :

Despite what was said earlier, there is no difference in quality between a good coax install and cat5 install. Issues would arise with coax, if it was a poor install.

Thanks Rangersfan.

Travis299

join:2004-08-03
Cary, NC
reply to UverseTech

My U-verse was installed with new Cat-5 for the RG & STBs BUT I am absolutely sure that coax would have given the same level of quality. TWC uses coax from the outside box to the home with outstanding results, used this for many years. I have had NO problems getting fast quality service from U-verse whenever I called. My 2 wire run is 849' to the VRAD & I have 3play. FAX & modem access works on the phone line with no problems. HDTV is clear and sharp. 3801 wireless internet works all over the house for PCs, IPAD, & KINDLES. I also have an Airave for Sprint Cell phone service. FWIW

Nuckfuts
Premium
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

I had a both and there was no difference.

shortyd999

join:2008-10-21
Birmingham, AL
reply to dlathem

I have to agree with u as well. My install was issue free. Both the service tech and the premise tech were very knowledgeable, the service tech has been with the company since the Bellsouth days Nd the premise tech since Uverse has been available in Birmingham. Both were on time(actually the premise tech arrive while the service tech was still here working). Install took about 2 hrs, ran cat5 to both TVs without me even asking, he said it works best. I'm using the t he 3800 and haven't had an issue with it. Had the service for a year this month. Now granted I only have TV and I'm about 700ft from the VRAD.
--
Broadband provided by Bright House RR
TV provided by AT&T Uverse
AT&T DSL Tech Support Rep
Helping To The Best of My Abilities Within The Confines of My Corporate Overloard

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
kudos:1
reply to UverseTech

The 3801 must be really good then. My 3800 has been the most stable networking device/modem I've had since the beginnings of the Internet. I do need to reset an STB on occasion.

cissjbk

join:2010-11-17
Irmo, SC
Reviews:
·Comporium

1 edit
reply to UverseTech

I figure a lot of the experience has to do with the installer, and, of course, how well maintained the current plant is.

Our Business U-Verse (internet only) install went well -- except apparently they don't teach Prem techs in the Southeast how to extend a demarc. We're talking a 30 foot extension from the demarc in our wiring closet to our server room, with Cat 5e cables with 66 Blocks already in place to do the simple cross-connect. I had to teach the guy how to do a cross-connect. Sure, for residential, you wouldn't run across that, but for business? Very nice guy, made sure everything was working before he left.

A week later the connection started acting up, turned out to be a bad card in the VRAD... when I called in the trouble, it was fixed pretty quick.

SECraft

@bellsouth.net

1 edit
reply to Graystoke

There is no picture quality difference if your coax is good quality.

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
reply to UverseTech

Coax and Cat5 are equal as far as Uverse is concerned.
Every ATT field and premise technician are not equal.
The OP is expressing an opinion based on his experience as a Charter consumer working for ATT.
I guess I could understand how an employee who spends lots of time replacing worn down coax splitters, correcting customer's mis-screwed coax fittings, etc. might be partial to cat5, but the only drawbacks of coax on Uverse really boil down to poor installs and improper customer maintenance.

Expand your moderator at work

dbeatson
Premium
join:2001-02-22
Clover, SC
reply to Forosnai

Re: Uverse in general

I disagree, all of U-Verse services are IP based and run natively on ethernet. Coax uses HPNA and the U-Verse equipment has to convert the ethernet to HPNA and back again for the coax too work adding an additrional process in the mix when using coax.
--
»www.w4lny.com

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30

Here is a great thread where this topic is covered at length by our resident Uverse board veterans »forums.att.com/t5/Receivers-Batt···=desktop
The problem with coax isn't the HPNA protocol.
The problem is that there are too many physical variables that have to be perfect for it to function properly. It doesn't lend well to customers who need to move equipment to clean, or techs working against the clock to maintain performance numbers so they can keep their job.
Equal on paper, but not in real world implementation.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

CAT5 is certainly more foolproof, but I wouldn't say that all variables need to be perfect for HPNA to work. In the real world there are lots of coax installs that work just fine, and they won't work appreciably better by running new CAT5 lines.

You can usually tell pretty quickly if HPNA is not working well by looking at the PHY rates in the RG's diagnostic pages (or UV Realtime).
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12

said by djrobx:

You can usually tell pretty quickly if HPNA is not working well by looking at the PHY rates in the RG's diagnostic pages (or UV Realtime).

Doesn't that require the techs to have the time to actually pull up the stats and verify everything? As long as /something/ works, the installer can check off "install finished" and thus meet his ridiculous quota...

/M