dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
UverseTech2
join:2012-08-04

UverseTech2 to David0417

to David0417

Re: 45MB Internet on 55MB Bonded Profile?

iNids are the biggest pain in the ass for both customers an techs. By definition you are too far for the single pair and should probably stick with what you have or make another choice.

They only run off HPNA (coax, or phone wires) unless you get an experienced tech that can activate the ethernet port and uses this instead. Even then the Inid inside unit (wireless router) is only good when you connect directly to this port. 45 Mbps is a pipe dream over HPNA, customers have a hard time just getting their 12,18Mbps currently.

All INids have either a 19Mbps or 25Mbps profile as it is. Anybody paying for the 18 is getting hosed as they are not able to achieve this with much more than 1 tv on their service. The video is left to fight for that 7Mbps left over on the 25, it's smoke and mirrors from the sales clowns. iNid= Headache
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

The whole U-Verse system is a total Kludge anyways. From what a previous poster said, it would be an interior unit with two phone lines, which could be a wiring nightmare in some houses. I'm hoping AT&T goes ahead with this, even if I can't get it, or it's very limited, or hard to install, just to light more of a fire under the @$$ of the local cable monopoly. Our whole state has worse connectivity than our neighboring states, because they all have Verizon, and Verizon has pushed FIOS out, and even in places that can't get it, cable has upgraded their systems so much that they have much better connectivity.

guhuna
Premium Member
join:2001-03-31
Benicia, CA

guhuna to UverseTech2

Premium Member

to UverseTech2
I wouldn't call the INiD the biggest pain in the ass, the tech I had install mine didn't have an idea how to enable the ethernet port. But after literally 1 minute of searching I found it. I've never ran the HPNA bridge because I don't need to. What seemed like a major pain in the ass is getting the install techs to work with the "outside" crew to figure things out. Once the stars aligned its been flawless ever since. Then again YMMV.
UverseTech2

UverseTech2

yeah that used to be an issue until i just started to tone my own second pairs back they are never connected unless you have an encapsulated connection. now i can get both pairs up in about the same amount of time an ir tech can. we are not supposed to but i cannot let the ir tech dicatate my efficiency so its just easier that way.
UverseTech2

UverseTech2 to guhuna

to guhuna
also the telco port underneath is always active and the interface is 172.17.0.1, it is fast enough for a couple of setop boxes. if the tier2 clowns ever reset your inid it will turn off the ethernet by default that is why i sometimes use the telco connection to ensure no matter what support wont break more than they fix:)

guhuna
Premium Member
join:2001-03-31
Benicia, CA

guhuna

Premium Member

I've been using the telco port since I got the service. That way if the ethernet port ever got disabled somehow I wont even notice.
Makes you wonder why they even have two? Why not just have one and can serve a dual purpose.
UverseTech2

UverseTech2

the telco is limited to i think 3 Mbps, at least it used to be, the ethernet has none. thats why i use it for the tvs, it's always on.

Starter
@sbcglobal.net

Starter

Anon

I am 1700 ft from the vrad and was put on inid with the 25 profile. Each bond was getting 50 meg each which was causing a bottleneck and causing majorsstability issues. My neighbor is on the 45 meg trial program with no issues. My end result was they took me off the inid and put me on the 32 meg profile.

I don't see all the hype about 100mbps cable speeds. What website allows you to access info at 100mbps. From an average user standpoint, I have 3 computers, all the game systems, Netflix, etc and the 18mbps works just fine.
JonBoySC
join:2009-06-26
Pickens, SC

1 recommendation

JonBoySC

"640k ought to be enough for anybody." -Bill Gates

It's not about being ready for today's applications, it's about being ready for tomorrow's. I tire of seeing all these "there is no reason for someone to have that much speed" quotes. It's short sighted. Just because it's "good enough" for you today doesn't mean that holds true for the future.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

1 recommendation

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Bill Gates didn't actually say that.

But yeah, agreed. All the people who talk of things being enough are too shortsighted to see their own shoes.

Starter
@mycingular.net

Starter

Anon

I just choose to not worry about distant future issues today. I don't need the speeds now and when the day comes that I will need them then I can explore my possibilities then for internet. It's like all the people going crazy over Y2K, stocking up with years worth of food and water, and nothing happened. And that was a possible world changing event. I wish my only problem in life was wishing I had 200mbps internet for what might be needed in the future.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Except there are practical methods of using high speed connections today. Hell, there's such things as 3d internet, which has long been discussed but never implemented due to bandwidth. Or things people don't think of.

Innovation can come with you have plenty of a resource. You are comparing panic to something that can spur innovation. Try and use your head.
WhyMe420
Premium Member
join:2009-04-06

WhyMe420

Premium Member

The average US broadband speed is 5.8Mbps so perhaps you should go to the forums for every other broadband provider in the US and troll tell them how they need to speed things up so that we can have 3d Internet in the future.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

How about you go back in the past and tell them we only need text and keep dial up? Obviously you love to live in the past so much.
WhyMe420
Premium Member

WhyMe420

Premium Member

Reading comprehension fail. Nowhere did I state anything about the past. My point was that AT&T still offers speeds that are 4 times faster than your average broadband Internet connection. Until the average broadband connection is 25+Mbps I'm not too worried about having 100Mbps at $90+ a month on a capped cable connection.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Well then celebrate mediocrity!

And slow speeds once again slow progress. If corporations never sped things up we'd still be on a text based web. Perhaps instead of complaining about others not reading, YOU should try reading?
UverseTech2

UverseTech2

and 100Mb is not fast enough for me :0

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Supposedly from the Charter forums we are going to be upgraded from 100 to 300 soon. Somebody someone talked to on the phone said it...

It may be a stretch, but it was also how we found out about ultra 100..
WhyMe420
Premium Member

WhyMe420 to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
Perhaps you should be on your own provider's forum bitching about how your connection is capped instead of on a provider's forum that you don't even have service with bitching about their "slow" yet uncapped connection.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

UverseTech has the same service as me, I responded to him. Why don't you talk to people who actually talk to you and go back to your ancient uverse.

Enjoy the uncapped 2006 speeds, while fios and cable goes up to 300 mbps and beyond.
WhyMe420
Premium Member

WhyMe420

Premium Member

You should take it to PM then if you're not talking about U-verse or don't want anyone else chiming in (you know, this is the U-verse forum after all.)

Not so fast there, don't try to equivocate Charter with FiOS. FiOS is completely uncapped, fiber optics. Charter is... Charter. Caps, poor cable installs, etc. .

Believe me, Charter is always begging me to get their service. But Charter has always sucked, and as long as they have caps and U-verse does not, U-verse is the winner in my book. Granted, if U-verse were to start enforcing their caps, I'd probably go to Charter, so I can enjoy 100Mbps speeds for 1.5% of the month (a whopping 10 hours!!!) all the while paying 100% of my bill.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

2 edits

Metatron2008

Premium Member

I didn't compare. Cable is competing with fios, something Uverse can't do. And other forums have competition with other services, or 'which service should I get' type posts. The difference with them is uverse pretends to be wireline competition while having speeds permanelty stuck in 2006.

P.S. I have gone over 500 gigs in more then one month, and my pings are fios type (11, I can ping to uk at under 120). So with the exception of really crappy upload, my Charter connection at least compares to fios...

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Click for full size
»forums.att.com/t5/Featur ··· /3285501

Maybe it'll be a 48 Mbps plan ?
doubleohwhat
join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat

Interesting

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Yawn. And after verizon and quite a few of the main cable companies are making 300 mpbs download tiers and adding good upload..
doubleohwhat
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat

If you want to start a comparison thread then go for it. However, this thread is about U-verse and a possible new tier. If I recall correctly, the last thread about a new tier got closed due to folks going off topic (putting it politely).

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

sorry
doubleohwhat
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat