MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 edit

Octavean to Krisnatharok

MVM

to Krisnatharok

Re: Suggestions Needed for a 27" monitor

I was going to suggest the Auria EQ276W as I really think highly of my unit. However, I have not specifically tested it with games. Therefore I couldn't say what kind experience you might expect with that type of usage model.

It was my understanding the more inputs you have on the monitor the more likely you'll experience lag and the Auria EQ276W has DVI, HDMI, VGA and DisplayPort.

I think I have steam installed on the system I am using it on so I can test it out.

***Edit***

OK, tried Half Life 2 and its smooth as butter,....IMO.

Tournament gaming, not sure but general use no problem.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

said by Octavean:

It was my understanding the more inputs you have on the monitor the more likely you'll experience lag and the Auria EQ276W has DVI, HDMI, VGA and DisplayPort.

Ther number of inputs sholdn't have anything to do with lag.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

1 edit

Octavean

MVM

said by aurgathor:

said by Octavean:

Ther number of inputs sholdn't have anything to do with lag.

Let me clarify.

Typically, the number of ports wouldn't even be a consideration for me with respect to any kind of lag. However, I am only going on some user reports of some of the typical low cost Korean 2560x1440 IPS displays often found on eBay. Generally speaking, many of these monitors often only have one connection option. The ones that cost more may have more connection options and there have been user reports of increased input lag for what would otherwise be the same model.

I'm referring to user reports in forums not necessarily any formal testing. Having said that I already stated that I didn't notice any serious lag issues on my Auria EQ276W 2560x1440 27" LED IPS display. So I don't really consider it an issue.
quote:
An International Affair
While I, after much deliberation, ordered the Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite monitor, it is by no means the most popular of these Korean displays.

Here's some common information about all of these displays

All of these seem to be using the same LG LM270WQ1 27" panel
Base models will only feature a single Dual-Link DVI input, and power. Higher end models are available with things such as DisplayPort or HDMI, but they may introduce more input lag
Only models with multiple display inputs will feature an On-Screen Display for adjusting things like Contrast and Color.
My display successfully displayed resolutions under 2560x1440 from my MacBook and a Windows 7 Machine, although the image was stretched to fill the entire display. However your mileage may vary, especially with things like HDMI to DVI adapters and noncomputer devices.
These monitors use an external power brick with a Korean plug. Some eBay sellers include power adapters to cope with this, but you can just replace the wall cable with a standard American cable (such as the ones found on powersupplies and other monitors.)

»www.pcper.com/reviews/Di ··· l-Affair

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
Picked it up today. Looks absolutely fantastic, very bright whites and good colors (no dead pixels I can find). It puts my 20" Apple Cinema Display (DVI) to shame with them side by side. I'll have to dig out the camera and take some pictures since a cell phone camera doesn't do it justice.

With the super-high resolution, I went ahead and bought an HIS MultiView II ($44 via Newegg, got it price-matched at Microcenter) to power the Apple display through USB so my GTX 580 isn't taxed further driving the second monitor.

Really happy with this display.

Microcenter also has a 30-day no-questions-asked return policy with no restocking fee, so if you consider the AURIA, pick it up in person.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon

How's the build quality?
How good are onscreen menus?
How much and how far can you adjust them?
Did you calibrate it?
What were the results?
Did you calibrate with osm or video drivers?
How uniform is its backlight?
Is it edge-lit led?
Any backlight bleeding?
Is the screen mate or glossy?

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

said by MxxCon:

Is it edge-lit led?

Do you even need to ask that question?

I'm looking for a TV, and most deveryone except Sony seem to have discontinued full array backlit models. And there were very few to begin with.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to MxxCon

MVM

to MxxCon
said by MxxCon:

How's the build quality?

The Auria EQ276W outer shell is made of plastic. Its construction is fairly sold though. I have three Asus 27” monitors as well as a View sonic (and some others) the build quality is physically just as good IMO. Even better in some cases. Buttons are firm, not mushy and give off an audible click.
said by MxxCon:

How good are onscreen menus?

HP has the HP ZR2740w 2560x1440 monitor in the ~$650 range. It has no onscreen menus at all. Many of the Korean 2560x1440 monitors in this price range (~$300 to ~$400) such as the Yamakasi Catleap and Crossover again have no OSD menu system to speak of.

Having said that the menu system on the Auria EQ276W is fairly good overall IMO. Its responsive, fast and navigation is intuitive. There is an opaque setting as well. I honestly didn’t spend much time in the menu system though because, while not perfect, I was happy enough with the out of the box settings.
said by MxxCon:

How much and how far can you adjust them?

There are a few photos of the menu system in the link I posted earlier:

»www.overclock.net/t/1288 ··· o-center
said by MxxCon:

Did you calibrate it?

No.

Again, while not perfect it was serviceable out of the box IMO.
said by MxxCon:

What were the results?

NA
said by MxxCon:

Did you calibrate with osm or video drivers?

NA
said by MxxCon:

How uniform is its backlight?

Very uniform, I didn’t notice any inconsistencies.
said by MxxCon:

Is it edge-lit led?

I don’t know. I thought these were rejected by Apple and used whatever technology Apple uses in their Cinema displays but I’m not 100% sure.
said by MxxCon:

Any backlight bleeding?

Not much if any that I could see.
said by MxxCon:

Is the screen mate or glossy?

Glossy, although oddly enough I didn’t find it off putting. I have an older HP Touchsmart 22” All-In-One system with a glossy screen and I did find the reflection annoying at times. Therefore I would concluded that there may be some coating that mitigates the reflective nature of typical glossy screens. In other words it doesn’t seem nearly as reflective as some other screens I’ve seen.

My experience with my Auria EQ276W 27" unit may differ somewhat from Krisnatharok’ s experience with his unit.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

MxxCon

Why wouldn't you calibrate it?!
That's like buying a sports car but not wanting to properly inflate its tires...

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

As I stated before, the out of the box settings were sufficient. I bought the Auria EQ276W for my Wife and she was quite pleased with it out of the box as well. She isn’t a graphics artiest, photographer, designer or the like but rather a developer / programmer. She needs good sharp text above all and she’s got that and more.

I’d be more inclined to calibrate my Asus VE276Q, VE278Q VK278Q triple monitor setup because side by side you can see that they could really use it.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Don't know if you had the issue of the Auria not showing the POST screen during boot-up. I upgraded my EVGA GTX 580 to the latest nvidia beta drivers (306) and flashed the FW in it, and I can now see POST no problem.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Thanks for the heads-up.

I haven't really had much of a problem but it's something to keep in mind if I switch the Auria EQ276W to a different system or try using it with a KVM. BTW I have heard that different inputs on this monitor may have a faster response to resolution change but haven't tested firsthand.

I'm still thinking about getting another Auria EQ276W monitor. If I do it will probably be some time in October, great stuff these monitors,...