Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to bluepoint

Premium Member

to bluepoint

Re: any nfl network update?

"Its just a point of view from TWC scaring subscribers with huge increases if they include NFL. Truth of the fact is, even if TWC include NFL in their lineup, subscribers has already been paying for it. With huge subscription fees increases from last and this year NFL could have been paid for. Since it's business, TWC wants more, give us a break."

I think the increases in retransmission agreements has been well documented in the press. If the NFL means that much to you then as a consumer you have a choice. I guess I can only say, Take it.

Hob
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

1 recommendation

Happydude32 to hobgoblin

Premium Member

to hobgoblin
quote:
Sorry I thought you said "Any sports network" Oh you did!
You took that the wrong way. What I implied is that any sports network Dish has, TW should have no problem coming to terms with.
quote:
Big Bills fan then. Real fans go to games.
I actually don’t enjoy going to live sporting events that much. Due to drunks and the overall stupidness of the people attending, I’d rather just watch it at home and stay away from that stuff. And I still can’t wrap my head around the idea of paying $15-20 for the privilege to park my car in a lot somewhere for 3 hours. In the past two years I’ve been to exactly 1 Sabres game, 1 Bandits game and 0 Bills games.

I guess my close to $1,000 collection worth of official Buffalo Bills On Field appeal I wear during football season, that I will have to re-purchase now that Nike is the official outfitter, not Reebok, means nothing. I guess I’m not a real fan afterall.

Rick4769
@rr.com

Rick4769 to bluepoint

Anon

to bluepoint
When a new network is added, TWC passes on the increase to the subscribers. So what is the big deal? They never lose money otherwise they would be out of business. Now if Time Warner owned a portion of the NFL Network, it would be on all their cable systems just like the fledgling Pac 12 Network that will be added in August. How much interest does the Pac 12 Network generate in the East? I would call that a niche channel.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

The difference is that the PAC 12 Network will be in the Sports Pass in areas that are outside of that conference.

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

I think the increases in retransmission agreements has been well documented in the press. If the NFL means that much to you then as a consumer you have a choice. I guess I can only say, Take it.

Hob

Yes, the increase in retransmission agreement has been well documented and the agreed price is a secret. Why do you think so? Because they are smart enough to not let us know how much profit they addup ontop of what is agreed for.
As a consumer, if I only have a choice, I would have been gone as fast as I can.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
"You took that the wrong way."

You probably wrote it the wrong way. As a company whose service area is a lot bigger than TWC they really should have everything!

"I guess my close to $1,000 collection worth of official Buffalo Bills On Field appeal I wear during football season, that I will have to re-purchase now that Nike is the official outfitter, not Reebok, means nothing. I guess I’m not a real fan afterall."

and this has exactly what to do with TWC. Take it up with the NFL, while you are there mention a sports tier to them.

Hob
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

quote:
You probably wrote it the wrong way.
Cool, it's my fault.
quote:
As a company whose service area is a lot bigger than TWC they really should have everything!

What about Insight? Their service footprint is much smaller than TW, and up until a few days ago they had NFL Network.
quote:
and this has exactly what to do with TWC. Take it up with the NFL, while you are there mention a sports tier to them.

It has to do with you calling me not a real fan, which really has nothing to do with TWC, but I figured I'd respond since you brought it up.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to bluepoint

Premium Member

to bluepoint
"Yes, the increase in retransmission agreement has been well documented and the agreed price is a secret. Why do you think so? Because they are smart enough to not let us know how much profit they addup ontop of what is agreed for."

How much do McDonald's pay for Burgers or Potatoes?
How much does your local Ford dealer pay for a Ford Focus?
How about JCP and the T shirt I bought, how much profit on top of that.
looking forward to your answers.

Hob
hobgoblin

hobgoblin to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
" What about Insight? Their service footprint is much smaller than TW, and up until a few days ago they had NFL Network."

So did Adelphia. They survived.

hob

bluepoint

bluepoint to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
You choose to compare TWC with Mcdonalds and other retail stores. It's apples and oranges. They(retailers) do not shut off their stores when the ingredients goes up and when they do increase the prices, it's reasonable.
TWC chooses packages that will give them the most profit. Its never been what subscribers like. Everytime there is retrans renewal or new channels(NFL), TWC blames the provider of overpricing their offerings. It's fine to negotiate and agree at a reasonable price and be passed to subscribers..Problem is we have not seen popular channels like the NFL and the subscription increases keeps on coming. Do you see the picture?

jacko15
@rr.com

jacko15

Anon

Can you say "MONOPOLY"?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to bluepoint

Premium Member

to bluepoint
"Do you see the picture?"

No i don't.

Thanks.

Hob

JuicyJ
@insightbb.com

JuicyJ to mikedz4

Anon

to mikedz4
So they offer channels like Tennis channel, Golf Channel, Big 10 network, and in the future Pac 12 network as a part of a normal package, but NFL Network should be a niche channel only provided in a sports tier?!?! It is clearly just an excuse they are creating to hide their greed because every other major television provider in the nation has NFL Network available to consumers.

bluepoint

bluepoint to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

"Do you see the picture?"

No i don't.

Thanks.

Hob

Of course, you don't. However, subscribers knows, JuicyJ hit it right on target.
" It is clearly just an excuse they are creating to hide their greed because every other major television provider in the nation has NFL Network available to consumers."

TWC you are running out of credible reasons, everybody else has agreed with NFL.

Suit Up
join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA

Suit Up to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

My personal opinion is that they all belong on a sports tier.

I agree.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to bluepoint

Premium Member

to bluepoint
"Of course, you don't. However, subscribers knows, JuicyJ hit it right on target.
" It is clearly just an excuse they are creating to hide their greed because every other major television provider in the nation has NFL Network available to consumers.""

Actually it makes no sense. Would not a greedy person add the channel and a percentage profit and then charge their subscribers more?

Hob

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to Happydude32

to Happydude32
According to what I was reading nfl network
" "Conversations are ongoing and we remain hopeful that we can reach a resolution. But we have been close before only to have it fall apart so we need to be cautious about predicting success."
The pro football league said it had made new negotiating overtures, offering to freeze the price on its two properties."

Ok if it offered to freeze the price then time warner must be hell bent on making its subs go to satellite for nfl programming.

»www.multichannel.com/art ··· tems.php

JuicyJ
@insightbb.com

JuicyJ to hobgoblin

Anon

to hobgoblin
They are only willing to offer the station as a sports package or a pay per view package and not willing to offer it in a normal package like I had with Insight cable before this piece of sh1t TWC bought them out. I have no other cable options and I can't get Direct TV without spending a fortune to chop down a tree. It is clearly greed because the NFL even offered to give TWC the same rate they had with Insight and at a 0% rate increase. How can you defend a cable company that is the only one of all the major cable companies that does not offer NFL network?

bluepoint

bluepoint to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

"Of course, you don't. However, subscribers knows, JuicyJ hit it right on target.
" It is clearly just an excuse they are creating to hide their greed because every other major television provider in the nation has NFL Network available to consumers.""

Actually it makes no sense. Would not a greedy person add the channel and a percentage profit and then charge their subscribers more?

Hob

Why would you add the channel if subscribers are already overpaying and on top of that what TWC wants is put NFL on pay per view. Looks clever not.
Negotiate with NFL in good faith for your subscribers, that's all we ask.

CBL B0X
@xo.net

CBL B0X to mikedz4

Anon

to mikedz4
Here's an article discussing rates that some channels charge per subscriber. The is in the top 10 in terms of cost per channel.

»www.sportsbusinessdaily. ··· ees.aspx

While I do agree the cost of the content is expensive, every other major provider has managed to strike a deal with the NFL for the network and RedZone. My cable provider has put it on a sports tier. Comcast has as well and this is the original reason why TWC wouldn't carry the NFL network.
Considering that TWC has deals for just about every other HD channel out there (I'm sure they're missing a few), there should be no reason why they can't figure out a way to get this channel on their system. In the end this just seems like an argument between an old married couple. They each won't budge from their position, and the only person that loses is the TWC subscribers.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned) to chamberc

to chamberc
They kept saying the same thing about the Big 10 Networks as well. In the end TWC ended up carrying the channels. TWC will give just has they have before over this crap. TWC knows they will and so does the NFL.

JuicyJ
@insightbb.com

JuicyJ

Anon

I wish I could be optimistic but NFL Network has been around for over 5 years and they have yet to carry it.
25139889 (banned)
join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

25139889 (banned)

TWC did/does in some areas. It's more like it depends on their markets. That's the problem with TWC and their BS. They treat each area as it's own company. Big 10 was around for a LONG time and they were one of the last companies to sign on trying to fight for the "consumer" with high prices.
xcrunner529
join:2010-08-05
Columbus, OH

xcrunner529 to mikedz4

to mikedz4
No, the only reason it's available in certain TW areas is because they were acquired and the previous company had agreements requiring it for a specified amount of time. Negotiations are all done centrally, it just may take certain divisions longer to actually add channels they have agreements with. NFLN is not one of them.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

when it first launched wasn't it offered but when nfl wanted more money that is when time warner removed it? Plus nfl wants the network on a basic tier like comcast offering it on digital preferred.
Satch
join:2009-11-25

2 edits

Satch

I just don't think there are enough live games to justify carrying the channel. It's still only about 8-9 live games from November to December 31. If TWC were to carry the station, they would have to pay residuals to the NFL for a channel that shows 1950's-1990's games about 75% of the time.

Another rate increase for 8-9 games? That's the issue. The NFL Network would have to expand its coverage to at least 16 live games plus something such as shows or more live content to get TWC/Brighthouse Networks to strike a deal. Insiders say TWC wants channels that have live content throughout the year, and at a reasonable rate. It just seems that for TWC, they need to get something else there to justify the NFL Network's carriage.

Now if NFL had not messed up by giving Sunday Ticket Exclusively to Direct TV, I think TWC would have both NFL Network and Sunday Ticket. In fact, in last years negotiations, TWC asked for Sunday Ticket. If Sunday Ticket is released from Direct TV's monopoly, either in 2014 or 2016 and the NFL would give Sunday Ticket to TWC, there would be more justification for TWC to carry NFL Network. We have to wait for Direct TV to lose exclusive rights to Sunday Ticket.

Satch
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

DirecTV bids on the package and pays a lot of money to keep that exclusivity. There is nothing monopolistic about two companies doing business with each other on an exclusivity basis. Personally, I think a lot of this NFL Network nonsense is just sour grapes TW has with DirecTV over their exclusivity of the package. I believe way back when, TW actually came out and said something to the tune that they have no interest in the NFL Network unless they get NFL ST. Problem is Time Warner has never made any serious attempt to get the package, I believe that the past couple times iNDemand has put in a bid, but it was easily beat by DirecTV and iNDemand never responded back. If Time Warner wants NFL Sunday Ticket so bad, then it’s time for them to put their money where their mouth is and meet and beat DirecTV.

The NFL likes it’s exclusive partners, and DirecTV is one of them. The NFL DOES NOT want Sunday Ticket available to all MSOs, having it be exclusive to one provider gives it more of a premium feel. DirecTV makes a ton of money on NFL Sunday Ticket when it comes to commercial subscriptions and will never give it up. At this point in the game, there is absolutely no reason for any other company in the US to offer NFL ST, as it will never bring in an ROI as most of these sports bars and restaurants (especially the national chains) are already pretty committed to DirecTV. Selling things at a loss, especially without a loss leader, is not a good business decision.

As far as live content goes, during the off seasons, excluding draft coverage and preseason coverage that kicks up a month before the regular season begins, how much live content is on NBA TV, NHL Network and MLB Network? The NFL Network is not much different than the other three league’s networks, two of which do not require an additional programming package beyond regular digital cable. But considering how popular the NFL is, I believe they have every right to ask for, and deserve more money than the MLB, NBA and NHL channels.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

time warner wouldn't do that as it would tick off comcast customers like me.
What they could do is make a joint bid with comcast in order to beat directv or would that get the federal government involved?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

I dont believe a single cable company would ever get the Sunday Ticket. A Joint bid from the major cable players would be interesting.

Hob

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

with comcast owning nbc now I wouldn't be surprised if they try to figure out how to get sunday ticket or maybe use nbc as a way to get into the nfl sunday ticket game.