how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ratamacue

join:2012-08-04
Pottstown, PA

[Northeast] New install configuration

Verizon finally lit up the FIOS system they buried in my neighborhood, and I'm scheduled for installation on Friday. I've spent a good amount of time studying the various installation options, but I wanted to run my ideas past you good people to make sure I'm on the right track. TIA for any feedback.

The services to be installed are FiOS Digital Voice Unlimited, FiOS TV Extreme HD, and FiOS Internet 50/25. I currently own two TiVo HDs with lifetime service that I'm going to keep, as well as an excellent Asus RT-N56U simultaneous Dual-Band Gigabit Wireless-N Router. I will not be using any STBs.

Here is what I'm planning (or at least hoping for):

1. Ethernet from ONT to router.
2. Replace Actiontec with Asus.

I have easy access from my basement to the spot where I'd like the Ethernet cable run, and there is already a coax outlet there. Given that I won't be using Verizon STBs or DVRs, am I likely to meet any resistance to requesting Ethernet from the ONT to the router? Do the techs usually have face plates that have both coax and Ethernet on the truck, or should I pick one up? And finally, does this configuration appear optimal given the equipment I have?

Once again, TIA for any feedback...

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31

The install tech is not obligated to install cat5 for you. Best if you have it in place in advance.

Don't count on the tech having fancy faceplates. If you want a dual faceplate, pick it up in advance.

Since you don't plan on having any VZ STBs, the configuration will work. Understand that if you need to call VZ support, they may ask you to reinstall the VZ router.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Ratamacue

Pottstown, PA

Thanks for replying. I was seriously thinking about not buying the cat5 since it would take 5 minutes (if that) to run it. I'll just pick some up when I get the faceplate.

More Fiber, I see that you're just down Route 100 from me in West Chester. Have you been happy with VZ fios compared (I'm assuming) with Comcast? From a price/performance standpoint, VZ smokes Comcast in Upper Pottsgrove Township, even after getting all the Comcast current subscriber promotions. I'm looking forward to getting the installation.

hemigod
Premium
join:2005-04-09
Norristown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

I can't speak for More Fiber, except to say that More Fiber is a very helpful and knowledgeable asset to this forum.

I'm fairly close to you as well. I started out with Verizon DSL for internet in this location, and it was bad. TV was Cablevision. Comcast took over the franchise from Cablevision. Eventually I switched to Comcast internet. It was much better than DSL, but in a year or so, I had several outages. Pixelation was always a problem with the TV service. When FIOS became available, I made the switch and have been very happy with it. Pixelation issues on TV became a thing of the past. I've only had one outage in almost 4 years of having FIOS - and that was because I was having some work done in the house and the contractor disconnected power to the ONT by mistake.

I recently ran my own CAT5e cable to the ONT and had Verizon switch me over from MOCA to Ethernet. It might be my imagination, or due to the IP addresses I've pulled since then, but I have noticed better ping times and better upload speeds on speedtest.net since I did this. [Edit] I used CAT5e instead of CAT6, since I had a long run of CAT5e from when I ran a DSL home run in an effort to improve DSL. My FIOS tech brought the fiber into the house on the opposite side of where the NID was where the copper line came in. So I just reused what I had. If you do your own ethernet cable run, consider one of the varieties of CAT6 [end Edit]

Bottom line, I am much happier with FIOS than with Comcast. YMMV.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31
reply to Ratamacue

When I first moved here in 2006, I got FIOS internet and Comcast TV because VZ was not yet offering TV in this area. I think it was fall of 2007 when FIOS-TV became available. I switched in a heartbeat and have never looked back, although with VZ's recent price increases and announcement of more increases coming, it might be time to take another look.

The service has been super reliable. I can't remember a single outage in 6 years.

As for TV quality, I had both Comcast and FIOS running side by side with an A-B switch for about a week. The FIOS picture was noticibly sharper.

As for the STBs, I'm thinking it might be time to take a serious look at Tivo.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Ratamacue

Pottstown, PA

Thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it.

said by More Fiber:

As for the STBs, I'm thinking it might be time to take a serious look at Tivo.

My only other experience with a DVR other than TiVo is the Motorola box Comcast provided when we moved here in 2005. By comparison, well, there really is no comparison. TiVo is superior in every way. The only problem I've had is when my external WD DVR extender box went south it corrupted the internal drive on the TiVo HD unit. I was way out of warranty at that point, but with a little reading over at the TiVo forums I put in a new internal 1 TB drive and saved the original 500 GB as a backup.

Bottom line, there's a good reason why TiVo has developed the following it has. They have sales on a pretty regular basis, too. Do a search on slickdeals.net to see what's available.