how-to block ads

Search Topic:
share rss forum feed

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:8
reply to antdude

Re: Do these results look from a new bundled $89.99 service?

said by antdude:

So, it's not worth getting HDMI over composite cables then?

Assuming you really do mean composite (and not component), then yes, HDMI will be MUCH better as composite cannot carry HD signals. If the source is progressive and not interlaced, using composite also interlaces the signal causing your TV to then need to deinterlace it.

While TWC does recompress the video, spend the $3 on a HDMI cable before writing the PQ off. As it's a digital signal, don't bother buying an expensive "high quality, gold/platinum/unobtanium plated" cable as it will just be a waste of money and will not work any better then a cheap cable.

/M

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

said by mackey:

said by antdude:

So, it's not worth getting HDMI over composite cables then?

Assuming you really do mean composite (and not component), then yes, HDMI will be MUCH better as composite cannot carry HD signals. If the source is progressive and not interlaced, using composite also interlaces the signal causing your TV to then need to deinterlace it.

While TWC does recompress the video, spend the $3 on a HDMI cable before writing the PQ off. As it's a digital signal, don't bother buying an expensive "high quality, gold/platinum/unobtanium plated" cable as it will just be a waste of money and will not work any better then a cheap cable.

/M

TWC guy connected new cables (red, white, and yellow colors). The picture edges show some blurriness and double edges too compared to clear OTA. I did not see any interlaced horizontal lines.

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06

WTF, I thought you meant component. You'll go from a 80s pic to today's pic going from composite cables to component/hdmi.

Component = red/green/blue for pic red/white for audio.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by Jabbu:

WTF, I thought you meant component. You'll go from a 80s pic to today's pic going from composite cables to component/hdmi.

Component = red/green/blue for pic red/white for audio.

OK, I will just go to HDMI directly for the latest, single cable (tired of having multiple cables!), and best quality (blurry videos sucks after seeing OTA HD with it!). I still can't believe TWC gave me old school cables with its leased new Motorola DCX3400 DVR and new 22" Samsung HDTV.