vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to workablob

Premium Member

to workablob

Re: Why is it bad to reboot a Windows PC?

said by workablob:

Chips, don't like to heat up then cool down too much.

They last longer when they remain at a constant temp.

Power save mode is a better option.

The chips are kept warm when in power save?

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob

said by vaxvms:

said by workablob:

Probably not. I honestly don't know.

It's just speculation that sleep might put less stress on the PC than a full power off.

Good question.

Dave
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by workablob:

said by vaxvms:

said by workablob:

Probably not. I honestly don't know.

It's just speculation that sleep might put less stress on the PC than a full power off.

Good question.

Dave

In Power Savings (XP) - (Vista makes you jump through hoops to set it this way), you set it:

Turn off Monitor: choose the setting you like but short time period before screensaver comes on and short before turnoff (I use "after 5 minutes of inactivity" and I have a screensaver come on "after 3 minutes of inactivity". My monitor likes these settings (although when the computer was new my nVidia card did not like these settings and caused BSODs/infinite loop until nVidia fixed the problem)...its a Dell Ultrasharp 19" LCD 5:4 ratio that is almost 9 years old with about 28,000 hours on it and it still works fine. Screensaver is used just because I like screensavers).

Turn off hard disks: Never
Standby: Never
Hibernate: Never (But I use PowerChute software with my APC UPS and I do allow PowerChute to hibernate the machine if there is a power outage). Regular hibernation on XP Pro is quite "iffy" so I had to turn it off long ago.

My computers (all desktops) have lived a lot longer than many here in a tropical rainforest (plus, I am on the ocean) where homes have no air conditioning and the windows are open most of the time. I attribute this at least partly to my policy of never allowing even standby but keeping them on 24/7 (unless I am on vacation). I've had incredulous folks here, including some small business owners that still do not have air conditioning and are right by the ocean, when I told them to try this instead of shutting their computers down every night (whether business or home if no air conditioning). I've been doing this since the late nineties and several people have told me years later that my advice kept their desktop machines healthy for years longer than when they were shutting them down daily.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

In Power Savings (XP) - (Vista makes you jump through hoops to set it this way), you set it:

Turn off hard disks: Never
Standby: Never
Hibernate: Never (But I use PowerChute software with my APC UPS and I do allow PowerChute to hibernate the machine if there is a power outage). Regular hibernation on XP Pro is quite "iffy" so I had to turn it off long ago.

You won't save much power with these setting.