uniqs
share rss forum feed

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to NetFixer

Re: Steve Wozniak predicts 'horrible problems' with cloud...

Did you get this notice?

Looks like they are phasing that webspace out.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 edits

said by KrK:

Did you get this notice?

Looks like they are phasing that webspace out.

No I have not seen that particular notice (probably because most of the email from AT&T gets tagged as spam by their own email servers), but I knew that new customers could not create PWP accounts for quite some time (probably since at least a year ago) and that the service was only available as a grandfathered service.

For the time being all of my PWP accounts are still active and I still use them for non critical off-site storage. If they go away, I am not losing anything and I do have other on-line storage available to take its place.

FWIW, some of my AT&T PWP accounts are associated with ancient BellSouth ISDN accounts that have been closed for over a decade, so when I say I won't be losing anything if those accounts get closed, I really mean that I won't be losing anything.

I also suspect that even if they do shutdown http access to those sites, that ftp access may still be active (and that is primarily how I use it). That happened a couple of years ago when AT&T decided to purge all content related to the former worldnet.att.net customers. Some AT&T IT manager got carried away and shutdown all http access to all of the PWP sites that used the att.net domain, but ftp access remained active. After a great outcry from effected customers, they reluctantly restored http access for all but the forbidden worldnet customers. But it was shortly after that incident that they started making it difficult (if not impossible) for most new customers to create a PWP site.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

Rocky67
Pencil Neck Geek
Premium
join:2005-01-13
Orange, CA

A little over a year ago AT&T shut down my pacbell.net PWP that I had for over 12 years. I'm still ticked off about it.
--
Panic is the new patriotism

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to David

said by David:

Yes, I have surge suppressors and battery backups. I have an alpha power unit that takes 110v wired going in.

My Alpha has 8 deep-cycle marine batteries on two shelves. I could add another 8 batteries easily. Runs a loooong time. Mine used to backup a PBX.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
reply to StuartMW

yea mine was designed for a parking gate for a parking garage. According to the specifications it is to keep a parking gate, ticket dispenser and fee computer working for up to 72 hours.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to StuartMW

considering clouds are shared services, I would say before hosting a business on one is to make sure they can keep you online in the event that a "neighboring" site on the cloud gets in trouble.

by in trouble I mean if you have an online business of some kind... and on the same hardware cluster is say some site that turns out to offer pirated music and movies that when the FBI busts into the data center and steals the servers because being a government agency they are not bright enough to just ask the network admin to image the virtual server of the offender and instead just steal all the hardware related taking you down too.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

armed

join:2000-10-20
Reviews:
·Charter

said by Kearnstd:

considering clouds are shared services, I would say before hosting a business on one is to make sure they can keep you online in the event that a "neighboring" site on the cloud gets in trouble.

by in trouble I mean if you have an online business of some kind... and on the same hardware cluster is say some site that turns out to offer pirated music and movies that when the FBI busts into the data center and steals the servers because being a government agency they are not bright enough to just ask the network admin to image the virtual server of the offender and instead just steal all the hardware related taking you down too.

Yea that happens every day or two.