share rss forum feed

SueS
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO
kudos:2
reply to SueS

Re: Just wondering

I live in a rural setting, while I don’t have this stuff in my neighborhood, I don’t have to drive far to find it. Even if it is not in my neighborhood, it is in somebody’s. I view this stuff as I do trash along the road. I understand that it is there because it is costly to clean up.

I can see why someone would photograph the stuff for documentary purposes. We have many old barns around and I can see the art in some of those photos. Some of the old barns around here are still in use. Old vehicles have sentimental value to some, so it is kind of understanding why those photos are taken. I just don’t get glamorizing an old building that should be torn down or restored and calling it art.

I was mostly curious to see if I am the only one who feels this way, and from the responses I guess I am.

Thanks for the replies, however I would be interested in seeing even more.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

1 recommendation

Can you explain more about what you mean by "glamorizing"?

For example, there's this Fickr group called Abandoned Oregon -- is this what you mean by glamorizing?

SueS
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO
kudos:2

1 recommendation

glamorizing- To make something seem more interesting, romantic, or glamorous than it really is.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

1 recommendation

reply to SueS
I kind of agree with you, but so often, today, there are derelict buildings in places where they were never seen before, or many more of them going into a more decayed look due to a dead economy. I would not want one in my neighborhood, but I am perhaps a snob. Many of the old barns and buildings speak to me of the past, but they also speak of trash along the road as you suggested. They have not been cared for. I would not want our roads taken care of like some of these buildings nor much of anything else of our structures/cars, etc. But, as a photographer, I love to see them in someone else's neighborhood.
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to SueS
I've been thinking about this a lot and I can't quite say that I feel this way towards objects/buildings/etc but I can see how others might. In contrast, I was never comfortable taking pictures of people when I traveled in underdeveloped countries (unless I had their permission of course) and I always wonder how other photographers got comfortable with candid shots where I wouldn't necessarily assume they had permission (though I could be totally wrong about that).

In the end, however, I think it's about intent of the photographer. Beyond that, a photographer can't control the thoughts or reactions of those that view one's photos...

My $0.02 worth at any rate.