spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mj05
join:2008-04-02
Burlington, ON

mj05

[DSL] Problems with a forum/ IP address

I was banned on a forum and I assume I need a new IP? Is this possible? I unplugged my tp-link modem for an hour thinking that a new ip would develop. I registered a new account under a new email address, which kind of works.

If I don't "log in" to the forum, everything works fast and I can read threads/posts etc. What baffles me is that once I "log in" i'm not banned, everything works but slow as all hell to the point of unusable. Is this because they put some sort of slown down on my ip address and my ip address didn't change?

Thanks in advance, and please forgive my noobness

Crowbar10
join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

Crowbar10

With DSL you should get a new IP every time you log off and reconnect . This assumes you don't have a static IP which would be permanent . Using a different e mail address would obviously help ....
mj05
Burlington, ON

mj05

This is what I don't understand. I am using a new email address and it doesn't help. I don't get it. I don't have a static IP.

Crowbar10
Toronto , ON

Crowbar10

said by mj05:

This is what I don't understand. I am using a new email address and it doesn't help. I don't get it. I don't have a static IP.

The only way a forum can ban you is using the IP and e mail address to identify you . The forum is likely having issues causing it to be slow .
Expand your moderator at work
mj05
Burlington, ON

1 edit

mj05 to Crowbar10

to Crowbar10

Re: [DSL] Problems with a forum/ IP address

But it's only at a crawl, after I log in, and sometimes it won't let me log in. Without logging in, everything is super quick. I don't understand, I think it must be IP related, but then i'd think they would ban me. I don't think it's their server causing problems.

I'll attempt to leave my modem/pc off over night and see if it resets the ip.
mj05

1 edit

mj05

On 3g now, so I don't think it's the IP... still confused though, I guess they somehow are doing something to the new account, because it originated on the banned IP? So frustrating..

I successfully created a new account on 3g, and it seems to be working fine on the current IP. Either in time they will mess up that account too, or I was successful in reseting my ip by turning the modem off for an hour.

So far so good

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames to mj05

Premium Member

to mj05

They have you throttled. It's a common tactic on modern forums to slow you down. Stop trolling next time.
mj05
Burlington, ON

mj05

lol thanks, you got it. I wasn't trolling though, just honestly broke a rule that I didn't know existed...selling something in my signature. I have somehow fixed the issue either with a different IP, or email address...not sure, but all is well.

Thanks!

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames to mj05

Premium Member

to mj05

Yep, you have to be really careful and read the forums rules. The admins can do pretty much anything to make you go away these days.

gurney
@radio-canada.ca

gurney

Anon

Imagine that maybe they are using a cookie, so every time you show up, even with a different IP and different e-mail, they can identify you. Either that, or magic.

Crowbar10
Toronto , ON

Crowbar10 to gurney

to gurney

said by gurney :

Imagine that maybe they are using a cookie, so every time you show up, even with a different IP and different e-mail, they can identify you.

LOL , cookies can be easily deleted .....
mj05
Burlington, ON

mj05 to gurney

to gurney
Nope, all is good under a different account/email/ and possibly IP... haven't had one issue since. Really appreciate all your responses though fellas. THANKS!
mj05

mj05

I eat my words lol They continue to block every single account I make. I used a different email address, reset my modem for a different ip, but i'm assuming they trace me to Teksavvy Solutions, Toronto.

I tried creating a new account with my Iphone, but they probably see "bell mobility". I stay anonymous with my posts, and quite discrete, but after a few posts i'm banned lol

Is there anything else I can do? I tried Tor, but it's god awful slow, and I tried a few anonymous proxy sites but they don't let the forum work properly.

Do the cookies actually identify me? How can that work on my iphone? What are they identifying?

I feel my only solution is to change ISP's? or piggyback on to somone elses wifi?

Crowbar10
Toronto , ON

Crowbar10

»www.aboutcookies.org/def ··· x?page=5
mj05
Burlington, ON

mj05

thanks, but what am I supposed to do? So for simply visiting certain threads on the forum it automatically identifies me? I tried different threads, but still get banned as "spam" after 4 or 5 posts.

Any advice on how to prevent this?

Crowbar10
Toronto , ON

Crowbar10

said by mj05:

thanks, but what am I supposed to do?

Go back to the webpage and read how to delete the cookies . The different e mail address may not work now that they know it .....
mj05
Burlington, ON

1 edit

mj05 to Crowbar10

to Crowbar10

I've created a new email address every time i've created a new account. And I know how to delete browser history/ cookies etc. including flash cookies. How would deleting work when they have sent them and it's kind of too late when you're already logged in? I even tried periodically deleting cookies through a web based proxy as I was on the site to no avail. The site requires cookies so don't they kind of work in real time?

I suppose I need to reformat my pc and recreate a new pc name or something? otherwise i guess i'm just hooped

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to mj05

Premium Member

to mj05
No forum could possibly be worth all that trouble. Just find another alternate. Failing that Start One of your own in a similar vein.
mj05
Burlington, ON

mj05

not an option, it's a very unique forum, and i need it for the classifieds section. I'm starting my HD format right now, and will reset my modem/router and try using a different browser plus proxy. If they STILL identify me then i'm throwing in the towel lol
Rastan
join:2007-04-25
Canada

Rastan

Have you tried TOR?
»www.torproject.org/
mj05
Burlington, ON

mj05

Yes, so slow it's unusable.
mj05

mj05

Tried the reformat, change computer name, new ip, new email, new browser, delete all cookies inc. flash, and still just got banned! lol

My conclusion is that they are linking my IP LOCATION (toronto) with Teksavvy as ISP, and the only solution is to change ISP's which i'm not willing to do. I tried using a different proxy but it's too much of a pain and kinda slow.

Ah well, screw them, i give up lol

intelp4
join:2007-05-01

intelp4

said by mj05:

Tried the reformat, change computer name, new ip, new email, new browser, delete all cookies inc. flash, and still just got banned! lol

My conclusion is that they are linking my IP LOCATION (toronto) with Teksavvy as ISP, and the only solution is to change ISP's which i'm not willing to do. I tried using a different proxy but it's too much of a pain and kinda slow.

Ah well, screw them, i give up lol

I do not think they will block the entire ISP based on one banned member, unless the you are the only member from TekSavvy to join them.

Anyway, if the forum uses Java, it might use a signed applet to track down your MAC addresses. In addition to deleting cookies and temporary files, change your MAC addresses and computer name and then rejoin the forum using different email address.