Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rebrider
Been There Done That
Premium
join:2000-11-23

[Vista] IE 9

I am currently using IE 8 on all my computers. MS update keeps wanting me to go to IE9.
Has anyone gone to IE9 and if so what has been your experience?
I have 2 vista computers and before going to IE9 I would like some feed back.
Thanks

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
said by Rebrider:

Has anyone gone to IE9 and if so what has been your experience?

Very little difference other than website compatability. One new bug that has yet to be patched is the NAG pop-up every 3rd time you open the browser informing you that if you disable Java and Adobe plug-ins that your pages will open .000000078 seconds faster. In the GUI there is not an option to stop that NAG, but there is a handy reg patch that kills it.
»[IE] Kill Nag "Disable Addons" in IE9
--
Breaker One Nine.

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Rebrider
IE9 offers many performance, reliability, and compatibility improvements over IE8, including a completely refactored and much faster performing Javascript engine, built-in CSS3, HTML5, and SVG support, and an integrated download manager, to name a few.

IE9 is really fast. You'll notice the difference right away in rendering time and on dynamic pages. After you migrate you'll be annoyed when you find yourself on a system (say an XP system) that only has IE8.
--
Scott Brown Consulting

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Rebrider
Very little difference except for one thing that annoys me a lot - the combination of 'search' and 'address'. If you type something, IE itself decides whether you meant a search or it was a URL. This just seems annoying: I know what I intended and don't need to be second-guessed.

I'd stay with IE8. Contrary to Mr. Brown's assertions, I don't notice the performance. But that might just be because my browsing habits are fairly pedestrian.

On the other hand, this one PC with IE9 is fine given the above annoyance; I don't feel like reverting it to IE8.

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
reply to sbconslt
Totally agree. There is no reason an IE user should be using IE8 as it is a relic, technically speaking. IE9 has so many feature improvements that it makes no sense to use less. That said, you will still be years behind the technical curve by using IE at all and you need to switch to any other browser to appreciate what modern browsers can do.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2
reply to Rebrider
I just installed Vista Home on an IBM P4 3Ghz single core. IE9 is much faster than IE8 that was running on the previous XP installation. I also like the cleaner interface of IE9, starting with the unified search and address bar.

Go for IE9.
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

Rebrider
Been There Done That
Premium
join:2000-11-23
reply to howardfine
said by howardfine:

Totally agree. There is no reason an IE user should be using IE8 as it is a relic, technically speaking. IE9 has so many feature improvements that it makes no sense to use less. That said, you will still be years behind the technical curve by using IE at all and you need to switch to any other browser to appreciate what modern browsers can do.

MyXP SP3 machine will only run IE 8. It works great, does everything I want it to. Runs 24/7 and I have never had a problem with it.

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
reply to Rebrider
I've found IE 9 to be significantly faster than previous versions on everything I've run it on.

rogelio

@uu.net
i still like IE8