spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kidterra

join:2010-07-03

2701 HG-B non-responsive. Flashing Power,Steady Wireless LED

One day I went to bed and my 2Wire 2701 HG-B was working just fine. When I awoke in the morning, I had no internet connection. I have tried a full-reset, pressing the recessed button on the back for 30s, a couple of times. It comes right back on with the Flashing power LED and steady Wireless LED, both green. Went to a backup speedstream 5100 and the connection resumes, but I'd like to go back to the 2wire for a couple of reasons not relevant to the problem at hand. Is the 2wire dead to me, or can it be revived? If it is dead, will I be able to get a replacement sent to me from ATT?

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5

Please unplug the 2wire for 1 minute. Then plug it back in (no connections other than power necessary for this) and note the sequence of which lights flash, color, stay on solid, etc.

kidterra

reply to kidterra

Power was red for a second, then began flashing.
Wireless was green from the moment it recieved power.

bbear2
Premium

said by kidterra:

Power was red for a second, then began flashing.
Wireless was green from the moment it recieved power.

So you now have a flashing red power light; and a solid green wireless light?

kidterra

D'oh, sorry. Got in too big of a hurry.
The power flashed red for a moment as I turned the power back on, but resumed flashing green with a solid green wireless almost immediately.

bbear2
Premium

ok then. You have a flashing green power light, with a solid green wireless light after things settle out. Is this right?

We've seen a number of bad power supplies, but the symptoms have generally been a solid red power light and none others. If you have a spare power supply to try that would be a good idea. In the meanwhile, I'll continue to look and see what I can find on your flashing green power.

bbear2
Premium
reply to kidterra

Power Light Condition
Off - Power is not being supplied to the system. The power supply is not plugged in correctly, or the power adapter has malfunctioned
Blinking Green - The system is performing a self test.

Solid Green - Power is on.

Blinking Orange - The gateway is undergoing a software upgrade.

Solid Red - System error. Contact Technical Support.

Per the manual. Seems like it's stuck in the POST mode. Make sure the reset button isn't stuck?

kidterra

reply to bbear2

Yes. When I restore power to it (using the switch on the power strip, it's the only device on this strip), the power led flashes red for the briefest of seconds, then begins flashing green. The wireless light is green from the get-go, and stays that way. After about 5 minutes, it stays this way.

Thanks for looking into it!

bbear2
Premium
reply to kidterra

I also found this in the FAQs, might be of some help. »AT&T Midwest/Ameritech FAQ »2Wire Gateway lights explained

kidterra

Thanks for the info, but it feels more like it's just dead. If it's stuck in a POST loop while the Power light flashes, that's one thing, but then why would the Wireless light stay solid when nothing has had a chance to associate with it?

bbear2
Premium

Not sure why the wireless light would be solid green during POST. Mine is normally not. At this point I'm out of definitive answers, but if it were mine, I would suspect the power supply. They normally fail and show up as a solid red light as noted in the link above. However, if it failed in such a way that it is slightly marginal, say between good and bad enough to show solid red; that could be a reason to not pass self test. But then again, there could be many reasons as to not pass POST as well. Given my experience with these power supplies, that is always my first step.

Something else that I should have asked, is your modem in a well ventilated position? Or is it prone to heat build up? In a warm or cool environment? Direct sunlight? Trying to figure out what could have caused it to go bad over night - if not the power supply. Most of the time it is either heat related or a lightening strike. How long have you had it again?

kidterra

It's in an unused room on the north side of the house, sitting on a mostly empty shelf. No direct sunlight as the only window is north-facing. A lightning strike is an outside possibility. I can't remember the timing of our storms recently as to when it went kaput.