Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to bluepoint

Premium Member

to bluepoint

Re: any nfl network update?

"How would TWC know if subscribers goes back or stay if they don't? As far as raising the cost for subscribers, we are tired of it. "

Its a business decision and one that cleverer people than me decide.
The sheer fact that Direct TV has the Sunday ticket is a big attraction for those that crave everything NFL. Clearly adding such a high profile channel would indeed raise the cost. At say a buck a month for say 10 million subscribers would mean $120 million a year going into the NFL coffers, clearly that expense would need to be recouped, unfortunately from many who would never watch it. Can you say sports tier?

Hob
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

quote:
The sheer fact that Direct TV has the Sunday ticket is a big attraction for those that crave everything NFL.
That doesn't stop nearly every other major MSO in the country from carrying it, including much smaller providers who have to be more money conscience and including the extremely frugal Dish Network, who hates sports. If Dish can get a deal done with a sports network, any sports network, there is no reason Time Warner shouldn’t be able to.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"If Dish can get a deal done with a sports network, any sports network, there is no reason Time Warner shouldn’t be able to."

Like MSG?
That's a sports network I believe.

Hob

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

1 edit

bluepoint to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

"Its a business decision and one that cleverer people than me decide.

Is it cleverer or greedier? I agree it's a business decision for TWC since they see the deal as not much profitable, it's not about thinking favor for the subscribers and never will. Remember only TWC and cablevision are the ones left without NFL, I guess they're smarter not.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32 to hobgoblin

Premium Member

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

"If Dish can get a deal done with a sports network, any sports network, there is no reason Time Warner shouldn’t be able to."

Like MSG?
That's a sports network I believe.

Hob

And after a little bit, TW and MSG were able to come to an agreement. Dish doesn't care about any NY sports teams or sports in general. My point is, if Dish Network can some how come to an agreement with the NFL Network, it must not really be that hard of a thing to do.

And, I've been 1 Bills game in recent years, and that was a preseason game. From 1996 to 2002 or 3, I went to two Bills games a year, the home opener and one other random game.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to bluepoint

Premium Member

to bluepoint
"Is it cleverer or greedier? I agree it's a business decision for TWC since they see the deal as not much profitable, it's not about thinking favor for the subscribers and never will."

So here we go again. Any company is in the business of making money. You already stated in this thread that you object to a price increase that adding the NFL network would clearly contribute too. If the addition would please more with the extra cost it would have happened.

Hob
hobgoblin

hobgoblin to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
"Dish doesn't care about any NY sports teams or sports in general"

Sorry I thought you said "Any sports network" Oh you did!

"And, I've been 1 Bills game in recent years, and that was a preseason game. From 1996 to 2002 or 3, I went to two Bills games a year, the home opener and one other random game."

Big Bills fan then. Real fans go to games.

Hob

bluepoint

bluepoint to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

"Is it cleverer or greedier? I agree it's a business decision for TWC since they see the deal as not much profitable, it's not about thinking favor for the subscribers and never will."

So here we go again. Any company is in the business of making money. You already stated in this thread that you object to a price increase that adding the NFL network would clearly contribute too. If the addition would please more with the extra cost it would have happened.

Hob

Its just a point of view from TWC scaring subscribers with huge increases if they include NFL. Truth of the fact is, even if TWC include NFL in their lineup, subscribers has already been paying for it. With huge subscription fees increases from last and this year NFL could have been paid for. Since it's business, TWC wants more, give us a break.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"Its just a point of view from TWC scaring subscribers with huge increases if they include NFL. Truth of the fact is, even if TWC include NFL in their lineup, subscribers has already been paying for it. With huge subscription fees increases from last and this year NFL could have been paid for. Since it's business, TWC wants more, give us a break."

I think the increases in retransmission agreements has been well documented in the press. If the NFL means that much to you then as a consumer you have a choice. I guess I can only say, Take it.

Hob
Happydude32
Premium Member

1 recommendation

Happydude32 to hobgoblin

Premium Member

to hobgoblin
quote:
Sorry I thought you said "Any sports network" Oh you did!
You took that the wrong way. What I implied is that any sports network Dish has, TW should have no problem coming to terms with.
quote:
Big Bills fan then. Real fans go to games.
I actually don’t enjoy going to live sporting events that much. Due to drunks and the overall stupidness of the people attending, I’d rather just watch it at home and stay away from that stuff. And I still can’t wrap my head around the idea of paying $15-20 for the privilege to park my car in a lot somewhere for 3 hours. In the past two years I’ve been to exactly 1 Sabres game, 1 Bandits game and 0 Bills games.

I guess my close to $1,000 collection worth of official Buffalo Bills On Field appeal I wear during football season, that I will have to re-purchase now that Nike is the official outfitter, not Reebok, means nothing. I guess I’m not a real fan afterall.

Rick4769
@rr.com

Rick4769 to bluepoint

Anon

to bluepoint
When a new network is added, TWC passes on the increase to the subscribers. So what is the big deal? They never lose money otherwise they would be out of business. Now if Time Warner owned a portion of the NFL Network, it would be on all their cable systems just like the fledgling Pac 12 Network that will be added in August. How much interest does the Pac 12 Network generate in the East? I would call that a niche channel.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

The difference is that the PAC 12 Network will be in the Sports Pass in areas that are outside of that conference.

bluepoint

bluepoint to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

I think the increases in retransmission agreements has been well documented in the press. If the NFL means that much to you then as a consumer you have a choice. I guess I can only say, Take it.

Hob

Yes, the increase in retransmission agreement has been well documented and the agreed price is a secret. Why do you think so? Because they are smart enough to not let us know how much profit they addup ontop of what is agreed for.
As a consumer, if I only have a choice, I would have been gone as fast as I can.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
"You took that the wrong way."

You probably wrote it the wrong way. As a company whose service area is a lot bigger than TWC they really should have everything!

"I guess my close to $1,000 collection worth of official Buffalo Bills On Field appeal I wear during football season, that I will have to re-purchase now that Nike is the official outfitter, not Reebok, means nothing. I guess I’m not a real fan afterall."

and this has exactly what to do with TWC. Take it up with the NFL, while you are there mention a sports tier to them.

Hob
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

quote:
You probably wrote it the wrong way.
Cool, it's my fault.
quote:
As a company whose service area is a lot bigger than TWC they really should have everything!

What about Insight? Their service footprint is much smaller than TW, and up until a few days ago they had NFL Network.
quote:
and this has exactly what to do with TWC. Take it up with the NFL, while you are there mention a sports tier to them.

It has to do with you calling me not a real fan, which really has nothing to do with TWC, but I figured I'd respond since you brought it up.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to bluepoint

Premium Member

to bluepoint
"Yes, the increase in retransmission agreement has been well documented and the agreed price is a secret. Why do you think so? Because they are smart enough to not let us know how much profit they addup ontop of what is agreed for."

How much do McDonald's pay for Burgers or Potatoes?
How much does your local Ford dealer pay for a Ford Focus?
How about JCP and the T shirt I bought, how much profit on top of that.
looking forward to your answers.

Hob
hobgoblin

hobgoblin to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
" What about Insight? Their service footprint is much smaller than TW, and up until a few days ago they had NFL Network."

So did Adelphia. They survived.

hob

bluepoint

bluepoint to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
You choose to compare TWC with Mcdonalds and other retail stores. It's apples and oranges. They(retailers) do not shut off their stores when the ingredients goes up and when they do increase the prices, it's reasonable.
TWC chooses packages that will give them the most profit. Its never been what subscribers like. Everytime there is retrans renewal or new channels(NFL), TWC blames the provider of overpricing their offerings. It's fine to negotiate and agree at a reasonable price and be passed to subscribers..Problem is we have not seen popular channels like the NFL and the subscription increases keeps on coming. Do you see the picture?

jacko15
@rr.com

jacko15

Anon

Can you say "MONOPOLY"?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to bluepoint

Premium Member

to bluepoint
"Do you see the picture?"

No i don't.

Thanks.

Hob

bluepoint

bluepoint

said by hobgoblin:

"Do you see the picture?"

No i don't.

Thanks.

Hob

Of course, you don't. However, subscribers knows, JuicyJ hit it right on target.
" It is clearly just an excuse they are creating to hide their greed because every other major television provider in the nation has NFL Network available to consumers."

TWC you are running out of credible reasons, everybody else has agreed with NFL.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"Of course, you don't. However, subscribers knows, JuicyJ hit it right on target.
" It is clearly just an excuse they are creating to hide their greed because every other major television provider in the nation has NFL Network available to consumers.""

Actually it makes no sense. Would not a greedy person add the channel and a percentage profit and then charge their subscribers more?

Hob

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to Happydude32

to Happydude32
According to what I was reading nfl network
" "Conversations are ongoing and we remain hopeful that we can reach a resolution. But we have been close before only to have it fall apart so we need to be cautious about predicting success."
The pro football league said it had made new negotiating overtures, offering to freeze the price on its two properties."

Ok if it offered to freeze the price then time warner must be hell bent on making its subs go to satellite for nfl programming.

»www.multichannel.com/art ··· tems.php

JuicyJ
@insightbb.com

JuicyJ to hobgoblin

Anon

to hobgoblin
They are only willing to offer the station as a sports package or a pay per view package and not willing to offer it in a normal package like I had with Insight cable before this piece of sh1t TWC bought them out. I have no other cable options and I can't get Direct TV without spending a fortune to chop down a tree. It is clearly greed because the NFL even offered to give TWC the same rate they had with Insight and at a 0% rate increase. How can you defend a cable company that is the only one of all the major cable companies that does not offer NFL network?

bluepoint

bluepoint to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

"Of course, you don't. However, subscribers knows, JuicyJ hit it right on target.
" It is clearly just an excuse they are creating to hide their greed because every other major television provider in the nation has NFL Network available to consumers.""

Actually it makes no sense. Would not a greedy person add the channel and a percentage profit and then charge their subscribers more?

Hob

Why would you add the channel if subscribers are already overpaying and on top of that what TWC wants is put NFL on pay per view. Looks clever not.
Negotiate with NFL in good faith for your subscribers, that's all we ask.