davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to bryant313

Premium Member

to bryant313

Re: [ALL] Cox Rumored to Adding 100mbps Tier

I am curious to see if Cox eventually decides to drive out AT&T DSL in my area. They could come up with non-promotional priced internet plans that match AT &T's promotional pricing with much higher speeds and per month GB allowances. AT&T has no plans to go above 6Mbps down and 0.5Mbps up. I could see Cox offer 12Mbps down and 2Mbps up as the bottom tier for $15/month. It might have a monthly cap of 300GBs. AT&T would be stuck with no profitable way to compete. For Cox it would be a way to hook new customers. The next highest tier could be 25Mbps/5Mbps for $30/month with a 600GB cap. Still cheaper than AT&T's regular rates. Next up would be 50/10 for $60 with a 1200Gb cap.
nmlobo
join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA

nmlobo

I doubt Cox would "buy in" on your suggestion.

Cox has a "Starter Package" with 1Mb D/L & 384k U/L with a 30Gb data allowance (cap) that costs $24.99. The Cox plan closest to the one you propose has 15Mb D/L and 2Mb U/L with 200Gb allowance (cap) and costs $52.99 (in my area).

1200Mb cap? Not happening today. The highest tier of service (most expensive) has 50Mb D/L & 5Mb U/L with a 400Gb cap. Non-promotional cost $109.99 a month.

I live in an area where Cox has competition, FIOS. It does not seem to have much impact. There would need to be some significant changes before service prices drop and caps raise to the levels you propose.
bryant313
join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313

was told by another cox tech not a contractor a actual tech for cox
that cox will be going to 100mbps down by the end of the year and that upstream channel bonding should be activated in the next few months
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

When people wake up about caps, they will remove them. I don't see that happening, neither. I was told on the phone the caps are there because there charged so much data per month which is bullshit. This is their bandwidth and they just want to start over useage fees due to lack of competition and "we can" When google starts to put their fiber service nationwide, Cox will rethink it's tune.. I wonder if we can ask Congress to write up a bill that will make datacaps illegal on both phone, mobile and cable co's... Everyone needs to be connected, not told what to do..

Also, THIS is where I'd like to see Cox at.. before 2013 only cheaper: »/r0/do ··· BKd4.jpg

-Rob
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

Only cheaper? not likely.. But I wouldn't mine paying them prices for that speed. Would be more then happy to save $20 a month, and get faster upload speeds. Which I am talking about the 50/10 speed comcast is looking to offer soon in FIOS area's. As of now I pay $90 a month for ultimate 50/5, which the 5mbps upload speed is what really disappoints me. But I am sure cox will increase upload speeds a bit next time they make some speed increases to existing tiers.
bryant313
join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV

bryant313 to Rob_

to Rob_
+1