All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Jpump
join:2009-11-16
Apache Junction, AZ

Jpump

Modem won't stay connected at provisioned speed.

It seems that every day I have to contact tech support and do their meaningless tasks like unplugging all phone lines, unplugging the modem and waiting a couple a minutes and waiting for them to do something on their end. I even went and bought new DSL filters, which was suggested by one tech, and there's still no improvement. If the modem ever loses sync, there's a 90% chance it won't connect back at 5MB. There's been times where rebooting the modem would cause it to connect at 600KB. I'm tired of dealing with this. If I had any other option for internet, I would gladly change. But, Mediacom is my only other option, and I had them for over a year and the service was just as bad, so unfortunately, I'm stuck with Century Link.

I'm connected at 3.8MB right now, and the modem has re-synced 3 times in the last 11 minutes. Can't even play a game without getting disconnected every few minutes. Wish they would actually upgrade my area, but, I live in a rural area, so that'll probably never happen. Sharing my cell phone's internet is more reliable at this point. Might just have to go buy a 4G phone and have faster and more reliable internet at this point.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

Do have a MODEM that you can see the pages with the stats? If so, can you please post them?
Jpump
Apache Junction, AZ

Jpump

SNR:
7 dB Down
7 dB Up
Attenuation:
49 dB Down
31 dB Up
Power:
19 dBm Down
12 dBm Up

Signal levels are normally 13-15. The only time I've seen the signal levels go up is when the modem was connected at 600KB.

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

The signals are in many cases bad or borderline.

You are pretty hot in AZ as we are in NV. Heat can make DSL/Cable/Sat connections to vary a lot with high temps.

When did dropping the connection start?
Jpump
Apache Junction, AZ

Jpump

It's been doing it for months. I had a tech come out today because I rebooted the modem yesterday because it wasn't connected at 5MB again and it wouldn't reconnect. Was just stuck on a solid orange power light. I told him about it not connecting at full speed and all he did was replace the modem. Got the new PK5001Z. Upstream is up to 17 now, downstream is still only at 8-10. Hasn't retrained yet today, except for once. No idea when it retrained though.

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

• The numbers that you posted are the SNR?

• Do you hear static on any phone lines?

• Disconnect everything that is plugged into a phone line except for the MODEM.

• Any better; or the same?

• The tech did not do any tests after he hooked up the MODEM?
Jpump
Apache Junction, AZ

Jpump

- Yes
- A slight buzzing, but it's been that way for years.
- I've tried this too many times.
- None.
- Nope. Just made sure the modem connected, took the old one and left.

It's been awful the last week. 5+ retrains a day. Just trying to play a game with my brother and we can't stay connected for longer than 2 minutes. There's been 6 retrains in the last 20-30 minutes. I wish I could get away from Century Trash, but, it's not possible.

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

The buzzing on the phone is not normal. Usually that relates to a filter issue.

Take a walk out to your NID and take a look and see how the phone line is connected. Is there a filter on the phone line going into the house? If yes, replace it; if no unplug all filters and devices in the house. Alarm? It needs a filter.

Disconnect the test plug and plug in a phone. The line should be clean.

While you are there, plug the MODEM directly to the NID. Does the MODEM sync? Does it stay synced?
Jpump
Apache Junction, AZ

Jpump

- Didn't see a filter at the NID.
- Phone still buzzes outside.
- Can't stay outside for hours waiting for the modem to lose sync, it happens randomly. I took the modem out and it connected at .9MB. Signal levels were the same as it being connected inside. Brought it back inside, and it connected at 5MB.

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

• Did you see a DSL splitter module inside the NID or in a separate enclosure next to the NID and a cable to the DSL modem location?

• Since your phone has static at the NID, it would appear to be an outside issue.

• Is that 0.9MB sync at the NID? Inside is 5MB? Something is really dorked if that is what you saw.

• Call CL and have them test your connection from the CO. See what they and take it from there.
Jpump
Apache Junction, AZ

Jpump

- No splitter, or at the modem.

- I tried a cordless phone and didn't hear any static. Only on a corded phone.

- Yes, it was connected at .9 at the NID and 5MB inside.

- Have a tech coming out Saturday and hopefully will look instead of just giving me a modem and leaving.
Jpump

Jpump

Tech just left. Said there was a problem with the line going to the CO. He cut it and replaced it and should be good. Also said they're updating out here and should be 6-7 months and I should be able to get a faster connection. Not counting on it though. I'll post again in a few days after I've had some time to test.

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

Yup, a problem at the CO. What else could it be?
Jpump
Apache Junction, AZ

Jpump

Well, it worked great yesterday. I woke up today and checked, 26 retrains and was connected at .9MB. Rebooted the modem and it connected at 3.8 then I went to a movie. Came back 2 hours later, 4 retrains since I'd left.

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

You don't get any breaks, my friend.

Is that buzzing/noise still on the inside telephone line? If so, is it on all lines?
Jpump
Apache Junction, AZ

1 edit

Jpump

I can only hear it on one phone. I've swapped different phones to that jack and can't hear it so it has to be the phone itself. Modem has been up for 17 hours so far with only 1 retrain. It's better than it was before the tech came out, but not completely reliable.

Well, it started raining and the connection became garbage again. 7 retrains in less than 2 hours. I'm about at the point where I break this modem and send it back to Century Trash and just use my cell phone for internet as it's more reliable than this crap.

Irish Shark
MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

It is not the MODEM. The tech said "Also said they're updating out here ..... "

This **could** be the source of the problem.

Now it rains and the the trouble begins. Something is getting wet. When you get a beak in the rain, go check the NID for signs of any moisture as well as the line in and out.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to Jpump

to Jpump
Hey Jpump, this is B with the CenturyLink Help Team. I'm sorry to hear that your DSL connection has been dropping so often. If you still need assistance with your DSL service & connection, send me your information via this webform: »bit.ly/IArNlt

Thanks,
B
CenturyLink Help Team
Jpump
Apache Junction, AZ

Jpump to Irish Shark

to Irish Shark
said by Irish Shark:

It is not the MODEM. The tech said "Also said they're updating out here ..... "

This **could** be the source of the problem.

Now it rains and the the trouble begins. Something is getting wet. When you get a beak in the rain, go check the NID for signs of any moisture as well as the line in and out.

I know it's not the modem. What else am I going to do? Dig up my line all the way to the DSLAM? The rain isn't anything new. It's been like this for over a year. I've done everything I can on my end.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink

Hello there!

I would be happy to look into this for you. Send the details to our management team so we can begin testing.

»bit.ly/IArNlt

Make sure to reference to this page when contacting me.

Thank you!
-Doug