spc
Search similar:

uniqs

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

3 edits

kickass69

[OOL] Possible Standard Tier Downstream Speed Change?

For the longest time since Cablevision upped the hard caps to 22 Mbps I would get in the mid 21 Mbps constantly. This morning I find no longer go above the mid 18 Mbps to low 19 Mbps range on the Download side with no change in the Upload Speed. I made sure to direct connect to my Arris TM822G to isolate the router being the issue and the same speed as mentioned above.

I got the 5 Downstream Channels I've had, signal levels are fine and no other changes that I can see atleast. I know in the past couple of weeks they've removed a couple of analogs as my system should be all digital by the end of September but that shouldn't be related.

Because the most recent FCC Broadband Report showing that Cablevision's Optimum Online Exceeds 100 Percent Of Advertised Speeds Across Both Full-day And Peak Weeknight Hours means you can now lower it from the 22 Mbps hard cap it so you don't give us too much extra bandwidth to something closer to 15 again? What gives Cablevision?

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 2714.png

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 6404.png

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa

Premium Member

fastspeeds
@optonline.net

fastspeeds to kickass69

Anon

to kickass69
Your Cablevision rant is premature.

Speeds are perfect at 22/2 here.

RickNY
Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Bellport, NY

RickNY to kickass69

Premium Member

to kickass69
What makes you think the reduction in speed is a change in the hard cap on the modem - considering you have no way of checking it on the Arris? And this is based on... One morning?

kickass69
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69

I guess it's because this is the first time since then that I've seen any slowdown period. Perhaps it was premature. I just don't know what to make of it.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos to kickass69

Numquam oblitus

to kickass69
I've seen the same, and have evidence to back it up:

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35

Anon

Just did a speed test and got my usual for the 50/8 plan so guess not much of a change here yet in Fairfield County, CT.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos
Click for full size
My "speed drop" happened earlier this year.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

1 recommendation

dm145 to kickass69

to kickass69
If you are still above 15 than not much you can say. CV never claimed that your speed was 18,20, or 22 just 15. Maybe it is time for you to upgrade to boost+ if you see a difference from 22 to 18 ?

kickass69
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69 to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos
and Mxxcon: Glad to know it's not just me. I'm wondering why on certain systems are they seemingly lowering the cap. If it has anything to do at all with what I said above about trying to find a sweet spot or what...just disappointing.

If a tech could chime in on this it'd be most appreciated.
kickass69

kickass69 to dm145

to dm145
I guess it was the fact that after that bump to the mid 21 range I didn't expect CV to go backwards at all. These cap drops just make no sense for those of us in systems that have had it happen.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

I'm still getting 21+ download, but my upload is 14% slower than yours. Go figure.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon to kickass69

to kickass69
Maybe they over-provisioned everybody as a stop-gap measure while they were implementing additional channel bonding and doing other backend upgrades to their network. Now they are going over their whole network and as they see situation improve they lower the caps closer to what they promised.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

said by MxxCon:

Maybe they over-provisioned everybody as a stop-gap measure while they were implementing additional channel bonding and doing other backend upgrades to their network. Now they are going over their whole network and as they see situation improve they lower the caps closer to what they promised.

Sounds sensible...

kickass69
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69 to MxxCon

to MxxCon
I was hoping SINCE they are implementing all these upgrades that the speed tier would receive an official bump up to Boost Legacy speeds of 30/5 or even 25/5 to 25/4 to even out the speed tiers. Too bad they weren't more forward thinking and instead having to move it back.
digitaldoc77
join:2008-04-20
Oyster Bay, NY

digitaldoc77 to kickass69

to kickass69
»www.speedtest.net/speedw ··· trol.php

I was over 20 on the download side for a while, but am now at 19. I agree that they overprovisioned, and now are balancing things out a little.

Achuey
@optonline.net

Achuey

Anon

Maybe because the FCC just did there speedtest thing and cablevision doesn't have to justify full speeds for now.So in a year or whenever speeds come up they will boost it back up to make the media or marketing ppl happy.

Could also be that there was a lot of contention on your node and they lowerd speed to manage bandwidth better. Businesses may have more priority then residential.

Ken Peterson
Premium Member
join:2000-12-08

Ken Peterson to kickass69

Premium Member

to kickass69

Standard speed service in western Nassau County...

kickass69
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 edit

kickass69

Well I'd say enjoy that extra download speed for you and everyone else until your modem resets overnight to download the new config file for the lower downstream cap.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

Mine didn't reset.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to kickass69

to kickass69
said by kickass69:

Well I'd say enjoy that extra download speed for you and everyone else until your modem resets overnight to download the new config file for the lower downstream cap.

Maybe I'll get the missing 15% of my upload back.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to kickass69

MVM

to kickass69
said by kickass69:

I doubt they have lowered the cap in the config file. If they are doing anything it probably has to do with the CMTS shaping due to utilization. I know when I download a lot in a short time my speed drops from around 20mbps to 15mbps and it has nothing to do with a change in the config file since there is no reboot.

kickass69
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69

I was told all the modems reset at 1:14 AM early Monday Morning and hence discovered the lower speed wall when I woke up. This doesn't come across as some temporary anomaly from heavy downloading.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

Should be easy for people who do not have a Docsis 3.0 to check their caps and confirm what it is at this point. Seems unlikely that they would lower the bonded and not lower the unbonded since I suspect the unbonded tend to be more of a traffic management problem.

JDolan
@ptd.net

JDolan to kickass69

Anon

to kickass69
said by kickass69:

I was told all the modems reset at 1:14 AM early Monday Morning and hence discovered the lower speed wall when I woke up. This doesn't come across as some temporary anomaly from heavy downloading.

My modem log shows know daily reset?
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to kickass69

to kickass69
said by kickass69:

I was told all the modems reset at 1:14 AM early Monday Morning

Mine didn't. It's been up for over 30 days.

P.S. When is your system going to all-digital? Just curious what your weekly channel scan shows after that happens. i.e., what do you get without a STB?

kickass69
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 edit

kickass69

I haven't been ignoring you at all, just seems strange how you don't go past 1.80 Mbps on the upload.
Rojo31
join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

Rojo31 to Achuey

to Achuey
You may have something there.

kickass69
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 recommendation

kickass69

I actually mentioned that as a possible reason as part of my initial post above.
kickass69

kickass69 to TheWiseGuy

to TheWiseGuy
From a reliable source, I was told the downstream cap has been lowered to 19.5 Mbps. That it was the whole CMTS, not just my device that was altered. The source doesn't know why, but it was planned in my area.