spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini

[Rant] Another Useless Car "Feature".... Heated Steering Wheel

Are you joking? I just heard on the radio an ad for the new 2013 BMW vehicles, "heated steering wheel". Really? I thought it was warm enough with the heat on and the windows closed on cold days

You stupid bumbling idiots, why don't you give us useful features such as all-wheel drive or satellite wi-fi inside the vehicle anywhere in the world or an internal diagnostic code-reading computer integrated in the GPS screen whereas you don't have to take it to a mechanic and pay money to him to read-out trouble codes?

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

Re: [Rant] Another Useless Car "Feature".... Heated Steering Whe

It is a luxury vehicle... It is very likely with a cold package so folks who drive in the winter would likely get this. Heated seats are soooooo nice. Though I would not get heated steering wheel but luxury vehicles have things that most other cars don't.

They have all wheel drive cars (and BMW with X in the model is all wheel drive). Sat is horrendously expensive and I believe wifi has been played with but what wifi do you connect to? Do you really want BMW to start a wifi network across the world? A city can't get wifi to work well - how do you expect BMW (or any other car manufacturer) to do so? Not to mention - there are serious limitations to wifi...

Most people that BMWs don't read their own codes at all - especially the higher end models. Most people don't know what the causes are for codes - hint - the codes do not list cause so a mechanic will still be needed.

In short - just because you think it is stupid - does not mean everyone thinks like you... There are LOTS of folks who think ABS, airbags, crumple zones, seat belts are all crap and not needed.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

DarkLogix to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini
How about cooled steering wheels?
at the end of a day at work I find my wheel is burning hot (hard to touch) so a cooled wheel would be nice, but heated WTF

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

If you live in New England or live in the snow belt... I am fairly certain you might like heated steering wheel.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by CylonRed:

If you live in New England or live in the snow belt... I am fairly certain you might like heated steering wheel.

I've visited and no I like a cold wheel and cold seat. It feels refreshing.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Re: [Rant] Another Useless Car "Feature".... Heated St

Visiting there and residing there are two different experiences. I lived in Chicago and heated seats and steering wheels would be a nice but not necessary feature.
davidhoffman

davidhoffman to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
Put one of those reflective sunshades in the windshield. You can also buy window shade type devices to put up. The one other thing is too bump the windows down just a small amount. Not enough to be easily visible, but enough to take pressure off the window seal. That allows a small amount of ventilation. Obviously if you are in a high car theft area you cannot lower the windows at all. I sometimes get to work in places with very secure parking lots and can leave the window lowered the way I suggested. I do not lower it more because of all the afternoon rain we get. The steering wheel is usually the same temperature as the ambient air outside if I use the shades. They cost about $20 for a basic one. The fancy window shade models are about $50.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to Xstar_Lumini

MVM

to Xstar_Lumini
BTW - this is not just a BMW option - many, many,many other car manufacturers have the option especially for their higher end models (like the Town and Country).

"I've visited and no I like a cold wheel and cold seat. It feels refreshing."

Cool - you like it that way - plenty other folks don't. Personally- hard cold leather in the winter sucks but that is me personally.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to davidhoffman

Premium Member

to davidhoffman
said by davidhoffman:

Put one of those reflective sunshades in the windshield. You can also buy window shade type devices to put up. The one other thing is too bump the windows down just a small amount. Not enough to be easily visible, but enough to take pressure off the window seal. That allows a small amount of ventilation. Obviously if you are in a high car theft area you cannot lower the windows at all. I sometimes get to work in places with very secure parking lots and can leave the window lowered the way I suggested. I do not lower it more because of all the afternoon rain we get. The steering wheel is usually the same temperature as the ambient air outside if I use the shades. They cost about $20 for a basic one. The fancy window shade models are about $50.

But the ambient air outside is not cool ether.

I'm not going to risk theft (its not a high crime area but if you make it easy for them then you won't likely get squat from the cops.

Then you never know if it might rain that day.

when the ambient air outside is about 97+ I don't want my wheel being that hot ether, I'd like a nice 65f wheel.

Karride
Slower Traffic Keep Right
Premium Member
join:2000-04-17
Germantown, TN

Karride to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini

said by Xstar_Lumini:

.... internal diagnostic code-reading computer integrated in the GPS screen whereas you don't have to take it to a mechanic and pay money to him to read-out trouble codes?

Not 100% sure about the newer models, but on most 80's and 90's BMW's it was possible to have the computer spit out the codes without a reader by turning the ignition to on and then pressing the gas 5 times within 3 seconds, then counting the CEL flashes.

In fact, most modern cars I've come across have some way to display the codes without a reader (on my 01 ram for instance, I turn the key from off to on three times, and the odometer will display the codes). Sure you still have to google the code, but if you can't manage that, you probably shouldn't be working on the problem anyway.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to Xstar_Lumini

MVM

to Xstar_Lumini

i just got a new Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman and my final choices were the one i got and 1 that was a couple grand more. The more expensive one had a heated steering wheel as well, so it is not just luxury vehicles.

Weirdal
Premium Member
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE

Weirdal to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

when the ambient air outside is about 97+ I don't want my wheel being that hot ether, I'd like a nice 65f wheel.

A 97 degree object will not be too hot to touch.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by Weirdal:

said by DarkLogix:

Its hot to ME.

PatPatate
join:2008-02-10
Sainte-Julie, QC

1 edit

PatPatate

said by DarkLogix:

said by Weirdal:

said by DarkLogix:

Its hot to ME.

Except that INSIDE your car, it will probably be much hotter than 97.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by Weirdal:

said by DarkLogix:

Its hot to ME.

Wear some gloves.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC

DC DSL to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini
Later for steering wheels...we need heated keyboards as standard features!

mattrixx
join:2004-02-18
Orland Park, IL

1 recommendation

mattrixx to Xstar_Lumini

to Xstar_Lumini
How about bringing back "wing windows"? You know the usually triangular shaped windows just forward of the main driver`s side door windows.
You can choose to leave these open while driving and direct airflow inside without opening up any main window, or even save gas by NOT turning on the air conditioning on those "nice days".
I believe these used to be standard on most cars before we ALL HAD to HAVE air conditioning.
You can also leave these "wing windows" open and not worry (too much) about rain entering your vehicle driving or parked unlike a moon roof.

Xstar_Lumini
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini

said by mattrixx:

How about bringing back "wing windows"? You know the usually triangular shaped windows just forward of the main driver`s side door windows.
You can choose to leave these open while driving and direct airflow inside without opening up any main window, or even save gas by NOT turning on the air conditioning on those "nice days".
I believe these used to be standard on most cars before we ALL HAD to HAVE air conditioning.
You can also leave these "wing windows" open and not worry (too much) about rain entering your vehicle driving or parked unlike a moon roof.

lol!!! I remember those, have not seen them for about 15 or 20 years probably! If you wouldn't had mentioned them I would have never remembered them

BTW you'll spend MORE gas having your windows open than having your air conditioner on, it was on Myth Buster's, the air drag that windows create spends more gas than the engine turning an extra belt.
sailor
Premium Member
join:2003-10-21
Long Island

sailor to davidg

Premium Member

to davidg
said by davidg:

i just got a new Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman and my final choices were the one i got and 1 that was a couple grand more. The more expensive one had a heated steering wheel as well, so it is not just luxury vehicles.

How are you liking that Outdoorsman model? How's gas mileage? Which engine/tranny combo?

mattrixx
join:2004-02-18
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx to Xstar_Lumini

to Xstar_Lumini
I didn't see that particular Myth Busters episode, but I would bet they were referring to conventional open car window(s) and not to relatively small "wing windows",
which can be manipulated to different angles / openings for fresh air?
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Heated seats are soooooo nice.

I absolutely hate them. I find the warm feeling it gives to be very awkward and uncomfortable.

I never had a problem with my ass getting frozen off by sitting down in a car seat at -30C (celsius, for those who don't know).
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

3 edits

dave to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

Are you joking? I just heard on the radio an ad for the new 2013 BMW vehicles, "heated steering wheel". Really? I thought it was warm enough with the heat on and the windows closed on cold days

You're apparently Canadian, you should get it.

My car has heated seats. I am impressed by the way you can get in the car in February, turn on the arse warmer, and feel comfortable in a couple of minutes, even though your breath may still be freezing in front of you.

I rather regret not going for the heated steering wheel (which, contrary to your surprise, is not a new option)- then I wouldn't need driving gloves. Sure, prior to being comfortable, the option of being comfortable seems like effete nonsense: but after you've been comfortable, it looks more like a good idea,

The local BMW dealer says he doesn't bother to order cars without arse-warmers, since no-one in New England wants one.

And, apropos your original rant, it's not apparent that holding off on a heated-wheel option would have magically caused the other things to exist. Are the engineers interchangeable?

You stupid bumbling idiots, why don't you give us useful features such as all-wheel drive

Yeah, got that too. Again, generally considered 'must have' for a 3-series in New England.

... you don't have to take it to a mechanic and pay money to him to read-out trouble codes?

Maintenance included for first 3 (? need to check) years, so you can be sure I'm taking it to my dealer on the first symptom of need. And I don't intend to do my own maintenance anyway, so whereas I see the point of your desire, it's not something I much care about.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed to TheMG

MVM

to TheMG
"I never had a problem with my ass getting frozen off by sitting down in a car seat at -30C (celsius, for those who don't know)."

Causes me to shiver and back ache badly. If my ass\back is warm then I am warm....

Xstar_Lumini
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini to dave

to dave
said by dave:

My car has heated seats. I am impressed by the way you can get in the car in February, turn on the arse warmer, and feel comfortable in a couple of minutes, even though your breath may still be freezing in front of you.

I rather regret not going for the heated steering wheel (which, contrary to your surprise, is not a new option)- then I wouldn't need driving gloves.

What? I can get heated steering wheel and heated seats on a 1972 Chevy Nova if I start the engine put the heater fan to #4 and wait for it to warm up for 5 minutes while I drink my coffee in my kitchen. What's the difference? You have to wait for the seats and steering wheel of a 2013 BMW to warm up anyways.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

3 edits

dave

Premium Member

said by Xstar_Lumini:

What's the difference? You have to wait for the seats and steering wheel of a 2013 BMW to warm up anyways.

I can feel the warmth from the seat before I'm out of the parking lot.

Prior to the BMW with the arse-warmer, I drove a 14-year old Civic that required you to shiver for the first 10 or 15 minutes, and I'm pretty clear on which was more comfortable.

Look, you may not want to buy comfort options. On the other hand, I don't understand why you're getting all bent about it. People who have seat warmers around here seem to like them. I assume people with steering wheel warmers might like those, too. And your implications that somehow they'd have 'satellite wifi' (whatever that is - wifi is a local area thing) if they didn't waste time on inventing warm steering wheels doesn't make sense to me.

It's not like heated steering wheels are new and only in luxury vehicles. Even some Fords have 'em.

You could even retrofit your 1972 Nova with this.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to Xstar_Lumini

MVM

to Xstar_Lumini

said by Xstar_Lumini:

You stupid bumbling idiots, why don't you give us useful features such as all-wheel drive or satellite wi-fi inside the vehicle anywhere in the world or...

BTW - not wifi for obvious reasons but there is this from BBR's own front page:

»www.businessweek.com/art ··· -vision?

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings to Xstar_Lumini

to Xstar_Lumini

Living in Southern California, I have no need for heated car parts (even though the last few vehicles had heated seats). My wife's last BMW had a very practical concession to climate, though - cooled seats. Loved those things.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to dave

to dave
said by dave:

said by Xstar_Lumini:

You're apparently Canadian, you should get it.

So am I it's just another useless gadget to break after the warranty expires.

If people are getting so delicate, or pampered, that they need this garbage then mankind is doomed.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by Weirdal:

said by DarkLogix:

Its hot to ME.

if it's hot to you you must be dead then since body temp is 98.4F

Xstar_Lumini
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini to dave

to dave
My problen with these gimmicks is that it makes the vehicle more complicated and prone to fail, costing me more money in maintenance but you are right, when you are a pompous douchebag owner of a BMW you will never get your hands greasy or care how much money a shop chages so its okay.